Popping noise when turning with a bump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a very similar sound and mine turned out to be the sway bar.

It had gotten torqued in the bushings and the corner would catch on the rib of the control arm. When I loosened the sway bar bushings it srang back with a loud twang.

If it has been doing it for a while it will have some scuffs on the corner of the sway bar and control arm.

please oh please post a picture of this, I think I have that problem but can't picture what you are describing. New Bilsteins going in this weekend as PM and thinking it may help, but now I'm thinking about sway-bar bushings too.

TIA,
:cheers:

The Proton- I think you are on to something. I just installed my metaltech sliders and that's when the noise started happening. Please post pics!

I took some with my cell, but not enough light to see anything. I'll have some shots up over the weekend.

Same problem on my truck. Has anyone found a definitive cause? I am going to remove the sway bar to see if it helps, but like everyone else my bushing/mounts look fine...

Sometimes it is better to start a new thread.
After reading this one, you probably get the impression that there are a lot of possibilities that would make this kind of noise. You have two approaches to fixing it:

1) Find out what is making the noise by putting it on a lift and moving things around with a giant pry bar to see what is loose. It may not make the same noise as it would with weight on it, but look for things that move that shouldn't. I don't know why, but a lot of people don't want to do this approach.

2) Instead you can guess and start replacing parts and hope you get lucky.

Check your sway bar bushings, bolts on your knuckle arm, and knuckle bearings. When the vehicle is jacked up check the up and down play in the wheel.

Mine did the same so I changed all the bushings..(most where bad or going).. Anyhow to my surprise.. it still made the poping noise when turning exactly as you describe. :( After more research I decided to go back in and check all the bolts and nuts for torque.. Got under my rig with a torque wrench and tightened all to specification... Low and behold.. The noise was gone.. :clap: I would suggest if your bushings are still ok. Torque every bushing under the car to specifications.

Moral of the story.. USE A TORQUE WRENCH.. ;) And don't trust that the "Professional Mechanic":censor: you paid to change your bushings knows what a torque wrench is! :bang::mad:

I had the same noise. Tightening all bushing bolts to the specified torque setting made the noise go away. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I checked them all already, and found one loose. That was before the noise (and fixed another one). I may go back and loosen and re-tighten them again since that doesn't cost anything :)

Ma
Mine did the same so I changed all the bushings..(most where bad or going).. Anyhow to my surprise.. it still made the poping noise when turning exactly as you describe. :( After more research I decided to go back in and check all the bolts and nuts for torque.. Got under my rig with a torque wrench and tightened all to specification... Low and behold.. The noise was gone.. :clap: I would suggest if your bushings are still ok. Torque every bushing under the car to specifications.

Moral of the story.. USE A TORQUE WRENCH.. ;) And don't trust that the "Professional Mechanic":censor: you paid to change your bushings knows what a torque wrench is! :bang::mad:

Probably a dumb question but where can I find the torque setting for the suspension?

Posted some of the torque numbers in a thread awhile back. Until you get a FSM...
search for thread title:
so THAT'S where my suspension clunk came from

post #24 has pics of FSM

So, mine started making a popping sound once in a while turning into the driveway and I assumed it was time for the the sway bar bushings. I ordered an entire set from Toyota to stay factory. My first ones lasted 12 years and 255,000, I figured why not go with the same? I took the sway bar out on flat ground, and not to my surprise, the old rubber bushings crumbled in my hands. I also had some rust and mild delimitation in the end of the sway bar where the links connect. I used a wire brush to remove al the lose rust and then treated it with rust treatment. I reinstalled everything and tightened it up! It now pops every singe time I turn the wheel and is mildly embarrassing to cary clients around (I'm a Realtor here in the Atlanta area and carry clients around quite often). I was thinking abut uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I have even looked up how to lubricate rubber without it deteriorating and found that silicone grease is the trick. Would it be a bad idea to lube the bushings? I saw a video of a guy lubing his aftermarket bushings, but never have heard of anyone else doing this.

Don't lube your bushings. The oil will break down the rubber .

Check your other suspension bushings. I'll bet they're worn out.

Check all suspension bushings and re torque suspension bolts.

I had an 80 that would make a loud pop when crossing a driveway or speed bump on a bit of an angle. It was due to loose radius arm bolts at the diff, and holes had become slotted

It now pops every singe time I turn the wheel

This sounds like you may have a cracked frame where the steering box is mounted, or where the Panhard bar mount cross brace meets the frame.

Cracked frame at the steering box can cause a popping noise when you turn the wheels, especially at low speeds

I had a pop that sounded like it was coming from the suspension any time I hit a small bump. I crawled under and torqued everything, checked wheel and trunnion bearings for play, torqued knuckle studs, torqued lug nuts, but the problem persisted. I searched on here and read a post by cruiserdan years ago about body mount bolts becoming loose. So I crawled back under he car and I discovered could wiggle the body mount bolt under the driver’s foot area by hand. After I tightened that bolt the popping went away.

Check all suspension bushings and re torque suspension bolts.

I had an 80 that would make a loud pop when crossing a driveway or speed bump on a bit of an angle. It was due to loose radius arm bolts at the diff, and holes had become slotted

This sounds like you may have a cracked frame where the steering box is mounted, or where the Panhard bar mount cross brace meets the frame.

Cracked frame at the steering box can cause a popping noise when you turn the wheels, especially at low speeds

well that’s a scary thought! I guess I’ll start by re-torquing and checking for cracks. And inspecting my other bushings.

Have a popping sound when making tight turns at low speed as well, usually on left turns. It's a 92 with 240k. I see this thread is pretty old but comes back into activity pretty often, at least now I know the areas to look for! Will take a look underneath today and see if I can find anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom