Popping in Reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 recentl started making a whining noise while in reverse. Tonight it decided to start making the front axle POP loudly and shake the whole axle. Forward works fine and there is no noise. I'm completely lost here, I would assume the ring/pinion would be fxxxed but it's fine when moving forward?

Any ideas? :( I'm waiting at a friend's house for someone to come pick up this Toy Pickup I'm parting out then I'll give a more detailed post when I get home.

Thank you :frown:

Possibly the "check ball" problem with the A343F trannies?

Possibly but I've never heard it getting this bad. It literally shakes the whole car. I'm home for spring break and need to go back in two days. I'm seriously considering leaving it here because it worries me that something will break on the 150mi drive back.

Well, that's crazy. The top bolt for the caliper snapped off. Pictures later.

Mine does this at times also. It sounds like the exact same issue. Any ideas? When it starts I just hit the gas and make the bastard grab. I'd rather something break and make the waiting and wondering game end.

Mine does this at times also. It sounds like the exact same issue. Any ideas? When it starts I just hit the gas and make the bastard grab. I'd rather something break and make the waiting and wondering game end.
Have you pulled off the wheels and checked to see that the bolts holding a caliper on haven't backed out and now you're grinding trenches in the wheel? That was my issue, new front calipers arrive tommorrow and now I have to track down a new bolt.

Have you pulled off the wheels and checked to see that the bolts holding a caliper on haven't backed out and now you're grinding trenches in the wheel? That was my issue, new front calipers arrive tommorrow and now I have to track down a new bolt.

The calipers are recently new and I had them off for other issues at one point also. So in this case, I'd say the "no" that's not my problem. I'm glad to hear new calipers will fix yours and you don't have to worry about a drive line issues.

It's kind of interesting that the PO of my truck had the issue around 70K miles. Lexus replaced the transmission for him....twice....and the torque converter. However, the problem still remains. I guess he forgot to mention it too me when I bought it. ;)

My feeling is I probably have an issue in my TC or in the rear diff. I was told a few months ago by a Toyota Tech that my rear pinion seemed to have a lot of slack. I'll probably need to look into it at some point.

The calipers are recently new and I had them off for other issues at one point also. So in this case, I'd say the "no" that's not my problem. I'm glad to hear new calipers will fix yours and you don't have to worry about a drive line issues.

It's kind of interesting that the PO of my truck had the issue around 70K miles. Lexus replaced the transmission for him....twice....and the torque converter. However, the problem still remains. I guess he forgot to mention it too me when I bought it. ;)

My feeling is I probably have an issue in my TC or in the rear diff. I was told a few months ago by a Toyota Tech that my rear pinion seemed to have a lot of slack. I'll probably need to look into it at some point.
Was your truck ever involved in an accident? Sounds like the tranny problems my old Volvo had, turns out it was in an accident (read: more than five accidents) and the driveshaft and some other things weren't aligned right and putting a lot of pressure where it shouldn't be.

Could be a damaged pinion gear in the front diff.

No, there's no evidence of any accidents from the past. I'm starting to think it's the pinion gear but will need to investigate more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom