Popping and odd smell in cabin. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all,

I have an 85 fj60 landcruiser 100% stock under the hood. Around this time of the year (when it starts to get warm out) I get this odd pop, sort of like cracking a soda pop can open, then shortly after I get this smell which is identical to lighting a match and blowing it out immediately. About a year ago I had the carb rebuilt but this would happen even before then. Spark plugs are clean, mixture ratio is good. I'm not flooding or depriving my vehicle of gas. Has anyone had this problem before? I've heard it could be something with the distributor but I don't know. I'm bringing it to the shop this week so hopefully they can figure it out. Just thought I'd try to educate my self by asking more experienced cruiser owners.

Cheers!

Your distributor is not properly venting. There should be a vacuum hose running from the distributor cap to the air filter.

There is also a hose from distributor cap to the cabin, that one functions as ventilation, and is probably how you got the scent of a burnt match.

Also... check the distributor side VCV (it's the little valve that your distributor vents through). If you can test it, great... but assume it's bad. They almost always are.

Source another one (preferably from the driver's side) the EVAP system uses the same VCV. Once you have it, replumb everything from the distributor vents)

As @CaptClose said, the problem is the distributor venting VCV clipped under the air cleaner housing above the distributor. Its toast & not allowing the distributor to ventilate. Ozone & gas fumes are igniting inside the distributor cap at startup. Replace the VCV & the cabin farts will go away.

Distributor cap vent VCV issue

I smell the same thing after a Del Taco drive-thru and the Chihuahua gets at the churros before I get home...

As @CaptClose said, the problem is the distributor venting VCV clipped under the air cleaner housing above the distributor. Its toast & not allowing the distributor to ventilate. Ozone & gas fumes are igniting inside the distributor cap at startup. Replace the VCV & the cabin farts will go away.

Distributor cap vent VCV issue
Awesome! Thank you for the link I ordered the vcv valve that goes to the fj80. the fj60 vcv's are discontinued but the one for the fj80 is the same minus a different angled hose tube. Should work just fine! I can always count on mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom