Popped the front breather valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving around running errands today and heard a pop come from the front end as I was pulling into Discount tire. Another car was driving by when I heard the pop, so I just cataloged it and went in to carry out my business. Worse case senario I'm thinking is I ran over a nail and where better to get a flat :).

Coming back to the LC, I saw fluid dripping from under the front axil eas I approached the DS. I can't tell how much oil came out, but it was dark. I am thinking crap, that pop came from me and it wasn't a tire, what could it be? It ended up being the front diff breather. That little cap was all loose and jiggly. I have the parts list for doing the extension, but just haven't had the time since I did the front axile service about 75 miles ago (two weeks). Today was the first day that I had driven for very long also.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? As soon as I get my neighbors tire back on, I'll take a trip to the store and extend the breathers. I'll check the front diff oil level. If the levels are ok, I'll just leave it in for a bit longer. I am thinking that the dark color is residual grease from the leaking birf and go with the scheduled change later.

Thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Ross

GeoRoss said:
...That little cap was all loose and jiggly.
The cap on the breather valve is supposed to be "loose and jiggly". If you dissasemble it you will see why.

With new seals in your front axle, the heating (expansion) of what must have been the warmest driving you've done since the repack produced the highest pressure your breather has seen in years. Its hose is old and slipper, and the valve is blocked with thick, black crud - also in the hose. When it popped off, that nasty stuff was pulled out by Mr. Gravity.

The extension just takes 4 feet of 1/4 inch ordinary rubber fuel line and a couple wire ties. You can even clamp it on with the clamp currently on your hose. 5 minutes if you pause for coffee. Get the fuel filter to top it with when you buy the fuel line - $3 and another 1.3 seconds to jam it in the end of the hose after you secure it with the wire tie....

Tip: let the pressure keep cycling like this and you're well on the way to contaminating your birf and diff again.....

DougM

I disassembled the "loose and jiggly" cap, removed the flapper and reused the cap assembly at the end of the new extended 1/4 inch fuel line, which I attached to the base of the fuse block. I think it looks better than a fuel filter and allows the diff to breathe just fine.

I just changed the xfer, front and rear diff fluid and didn't notice a breather but probably wasn't paying attention. xfer and rear fluids were med. brown and clear...front diff fluid was near dark and opaque..not sure what this means.

What is the purpose of the extension? Sounds like something I need to do...

Tuner said:
I just changed the xfer, front and rear diff fluid and didn't notice a breather but probably wasn't paying attention. xfer and rear fluids were med. brown and clear...front diff fluid was near dark and opaque..not sure what this means.
snip

grease contamination, axle seal not optimal / failing, breather plugged

Well, got the front diff breather extended. When I removed the hose there was the expected vacuum sound indicating a non-functioning breather. Hopefully this will save my inner axile seals. There was a surprising amount of gear oil in the old breather tube which was a nice honey color.

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom