Popped Out Of Gear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
was going down a not so steep hill today in first... let off the gas and she popped out of gear. would hate to have that happen on something steep with consiquences! what caused it? is it anything to worry about? :confused:

You likely have an inner transmission problem and it's not going to resolve spontaneously. If you live in a hilly area and/or like to wheel it, I'm afraid you're gonna end up rebuilding or replacing it. How long have you had the vehicle?

bought it about three weeks ago. this is the first time it has done this since ive owned it. seems to be running great. clutch feels good. any speculations on what the time frame is on fixing it?

I bought a used '85 Nissan 4x4 pickup many years ago that developed the same problem. It'd only pop out of one gear going down hill. I lived with it for a couple years before trading it in for a used 4runner. So if you can tolerate it, no need to fix right away. If you plan on keeping it for use in extreme conditions, well... fix it when you can afford it!

Did you change the fluid in it when you got it?

Mine did this for a while when i first changed all my fluids almost like the oil was hydraulicing the shift fork off or something. I put some lucas tranny conditioner in there and it went away. I think it may have been just some stickey detent balls or springs.

Mine was in 3rd when it did it but only when i let off the fuel or coasting down hill .

Try the conditioner before you write it off. These trannys are tough as s***.
:beer:

Not going into/popping out of gear can be caused by a worn out shifter seat, a $10 soft plastic part which is fairly easy to replace, if I recall correctly. Anyone wan't to confirm/deny?

Look at the seat first if it looks ok replace it anyway-its a couple of bucks. Change the oil and use a conditioner like Lucas- Check the oil for excessive muddyness could indicate the shft fork/shafts are dirty.

The input/main shaft needle bearings are probably the culprit otherwise :(

thanks guys- i'll look into the seat and change the fluid (haven't done that since i've owned it), hopefully that'll solve it.

took it for a drive today and couldn't get it to repeat the pop out??? fluke?

I had similar probs when in 1st gear. Changed the seat and it disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom