Pop Up Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Last Year at Moab, Nakman brought his Pop up Camper. Seems like it would be easy to tow, quick to set-up and a lot better than sleeping in a tent. Remember, I have a wife and 2 daughters.

I figured I could rent a brand new one for about $300 for the week at Moab. New they can be anywhere from $4000-$10000. Used, anywhere from $500 to $4000. So I was debating the value of buying one for about $1200-$1500 and figuring I would have to do a little fix up vs just renting when I need it.

I could cut a gate in my fence and park it in the back yard (More $$).

So, those that have one, what would your adivise be after having owned one for a while. I would probably go camping more with the pop-up.

I had one that followed my FJ40 around for about 10 years, I liked it a lot. Did a spring over on the axle and put bigger tires on, it worked well on most forest roads. Some of them have torsion suspension, the axle on the leaf spring types is a big hang up point. They are not a trail trailer but with a little lift, the biggest tires that will fit in the wheel wells and maybe some skids/sliders on the rear they will go a lot of places.

Hey Romer -

Get one -

My marriage is still intact because I got one two years ago and it has been behind the 60 eversince!

I took this long two month trip to Alaska with a tent and a wife and the lab...the lab and I almost came home alone!

I plunked down a chunk a cash for mine but it is worth it - I bought for two and a dog - an Aliner - but for Rachel :princess: and your wife - get something bigger.

For me - I want an Eezi-Awn - but still have the Aliner and I am still married = compromise.

They work great with an ARB fridge - small humidor - stereo with input for playin DVD's via the computer - inverter - and we have a porta potti and wash up in the sink...now to put wireless internet in...

Set-up time is 30 seconds...see ya at Moab!

mine - http://www.geocities.com/jeffreylors/pictures3.html

Romer said:
Thanks Jeff,
So how many Bananna's are those???

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: -

New between - $10,000 and $15,000 - way toooo much!

The Chalet is twice the weight - my Aliner weighs in at a mere 990 pds...

I plan on selling mine for $6000...they do hold their value better than a canvas sided pop-up. My :princess: wife :princess: wants one with a bathroom...women!

Say hey to Rachel - for us!

Once you get a self contained unit you will never want to go back. Specialy if you like to extend the camping season into late fall / early spring.

rusty_tlc said:
Once you get a self contained unit you will never want to go back. Specialy if you like to extend the camping season into late fall / early spring.

Does that mean like Jeff's or just any pop-up?

We have a little Coleman Cedar It is great, I use it to hunt Elk in Nov-Dec. It has heat, water ligths and two stoves one in and one out. We have an extra room that zips on the front/side of trailer and that is about it. Not a real rugged axle spring set up though. I did the spring over and bigger tires but it need more beef underneith.

baloo said:
Not a real rugged axle spring set up though. I did the spring over and bigger tires but it need more beef underneith.

Yep, ours is lifted about 6" with the 3/4 ton axle - much better for the "offroad" portion of camping!

I prefer Fall/winter/spring camping - we have AC but have never used it -

Romer said:
Does that mean like Jeff's or just any pop-up?
Any RV.
When there's frost on the ground it's nice to be inside "taking care of business".

A "Fantastic" fan is also a good thing. They fit right into the roof vent. ;)

Hey Ken,

I just bought a new Starcraft 11RT last week and took it Surf-n-Turf.
Bought it for $10k ($10,999 "out the door" (which included tax, license, etc.)). They're normally around $12k or $13k, depending on what options you get.

I searched around the Sacramento area and the SF Bay Area for a nice tent trailer for a good price, but found that the really good ones got snapped up before I got there. Others were either overpriced or in really bad condition. The ones in the $1k to $1.5k price range around me were in pretty poor shape, IMO. $2k to $3k priced trailers were decent, but the ones I saw were missing some parts (one was missing one of the mattresses).

Anyhow, we decided to bite the bullet and get a new one. The 11RT is nice because it's lifted a bit from the start -- ground clearance is really decent, but there are a couple low hanging bits -- mostly shower and water tank drain pipes. The 11RT also has a front cargo area that's handy for hauling whatever you might want to take with you.
Mine came with:
- an indoor shower,
- the optional outdoor shower,
- CD player/stereo with indoor and outdoor speakers (removeable face plate) -- basically a car-type stereo,
- toilet,
- sink with electric water pump,
- 2 burner indoor stove,
- the optional "RVQ" which is a propane BBQ grill that runs off the trailer's propane tank and (I think) attaches to the trailer -- I haven't used it yet.
- 12V deep cycle battery,
- 2 propane tanks,
- water heater,
- furnace (with thermostat)

Observations
The table they provide is small and more in the way than of much use.
The wife and girls like having a toilet close by.
You have to unload the front cargo area to open it up -- the supports for the large bed go through holes in the cargo area.

I don't recall how many they claim it will sleep, but there's a nice large Q or K sized bed on one side and a full sized one on the other. There's a sleeping platform that pulls out just in front of the larger bed that's about the size of a twin bed, but if you use it, you block the door -- so you can't easily get out -- kind of an odd design, IMO.

Starcraft 11RT (from the Starcraft website)

So far we're very happy with it. Setting up and taking down is pretty easy. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to set up -- take down was a little less than set up.

I used a "non-approved-for-towing" receiver that I got from a source that I will not name ;) It bolts to the 4 holes in the rear bumper. Although it worked fine for the trip, I think I would be more comfortable using a class 3 tow hitch. Next time, I'll pull the hitch off the wife's 80 and slap it on mine when towing the trailer.

A couple pics from the starcraft website...
11rt_down.jpg
11rt_up.jpg

If you are buying new try to buy in December or January. The dealerships and sales droids are starving and will deal like you wouldn't believe.

Funny when I first saw this post the starcraft was the one I was going to post up about. I remember it being discussed before.
You could probably change out the axles or use an adapter on any of the trailers to use a Landcruiser lug pattern. Change the springs out and have it match your ride height.

petescoffee said:
Funny when I first saw this post the starcraft was the one I was going to post up about. I remember it being discussed before.
You could probably change out the axles or use an adapter on any of the trailers to use a Landcruiser lug pattern. Change the springs out and have it match your ride height.
Most travel trailers / pop up trailers aren't built strong enough to take the abuse from on even mild dirt roads. If the frame holds up the cabinetry will fall apart.

rusty_tlc said:
Most travel trailers / pop up trailers aren't built strong enough to take the abuse from on even mild dirt roads. If the frame holds up the cabinetry will fall apart.

The frames in the older ones are much stronger than the new ones, 'cept some of the newer offroad models.

NorCalDoug said:
I just bought a new Starcraft 11RT last week and took it Surf-n-Turf.

It was awesome, super roomy and very nicely appointed. It looks the part too

After seeing many many people in campgrounds fight to get the tent trailer up and down because the stupid mechanism sticks, I'm scared of them

Pay the extra 100 grand and get a pusher :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom