“Pop, pop, pop…” sound from intake manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Strange, “Pop, pop, pop…” sound from intake manifold

94 FZJ80

When I advance the throttle from idle I hear a, “pop, pop, pop…” sound coming from the intake manifold, I think. The noise has become progressively louder during the past week. The noise is only present during accelerations, once a desired RPM is selected the sound stops and the truck seems to continue running fine. No notice in power loss.

Any theories or solutions for a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Exhaust leak possibly if only on acceleration and it goes away after it gets hot. Does it go away after the truck is warm ?

I was thinking along the same lines. As I accelerate in RPM’s the popping noise also accelerates. I don’t think I notice the sound as much when the engine is warm. It’s really noticeable at slow speeds, leaving a stop sign, etc.

This maybe a separate issue but I looked under the truck and noticed from the catalytic converter down to the muffler the whole assembly is vibrating. The vibration noise has been apparent for sometime; perhaps a mount broke while wheeling? Maybe these two issues are part of the same problem?

is the popping actually coming from inside the intake manifold? (If you remove the air filter cover you should be able to hear it more clearly.)

Or is it just coming from the area of the intake manifold.

If it's a true popping back through the intake manifold, in the old days that indicated either a lean condition, a spark that was not where/when it was supposed to be (like spark jumping wires and/or carbon tracking inside the dist. cap), a flat camshaft on one lobe, or a sticky (weak or broken valve spring) or partially-burned intake valve.

Maybe check the spark plug wires to see if one or more is arcing to ground.

Look at the engine running in the dark, you can sometimes see sparks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom