Poor life decisions epitomized; Taking Mom's car to the party (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started reading this thread and got a few lines in before I thought wait a sec, that truck sounds familiar. I had the privilege of meeting and following @WrongsideDaily on Day 3 of COTR. From my vantage point this 100 performed flawlessly! Here he is making it look easy on some slick rocks that had already claimed a couple of 100s.

B73ED168-50AF-4B28-99C0-97E889B17C28.jpeg

Super nice to meet you dude. Thanks for the excellent writing, I was more than halfway through this before I put together it was you. Tell the doggo’s hi!
Dude! Likewise! I think my biggest mistake of the entire trip was turning off the video right before you kicked the goose in his gander! If we wheel again, I won't make that mistake twice. I like your style!

So here we are, DOIN' IT FOR THA GRAMMMM!!! I try to quickly snag my obligatory PR pic. Wanted one with my boys and such, but they were just happy to be outta the Oregon Trail-like bounce-fest that is Old Man Emu and weren't exactly compliant. But I'm absolutely in love with the pics I did get. You'd be hard pressed to convince me there's a prettier place on earth this time of year than The Smokies, but I'm 100% biased.
1000002502.jpg

Watching this thing bounce up there from this angle was WILD!
1000002523.jpg

This spot here was a little bit tricky. An off camber rock step coming from the left side that drops into a bit of a gulley close to the right hand side which is guarded by a protruding rock at it's point of entry. You can get a good idea of what's going on here. I believe this dude's name was Sam, but being the basic bitch I am I remember his IG @deepsouthoverlander lol.
1000002536.jpg

The whale of a rig was not happy and at like, a gazillion pounds, I think the owner wasn't comfortable using @MechE30's method. A quick line pull and I'm up next.
1000002539.jpg

Remember I had said I had unlocked my hubs at some point once we hit trails that allowed some higher speeds? Yeahhhhhhh. Turns out you don't need to pack an Aisin hub like a Southern church on Sunday. It ain't a wheel bearing. So I choose a line that would be perfect and make easy work for a truck equipped with a front locker. For a truck without a front locker, it's probably the stupidest line you could take. This is where I find out that the driver hub didn't engage, and the passenger torque steers me RIGHT in the ditch. So now I'm honestly kinda worried. Without skids and sliders, I'm in the perfect position to eat a good amount of crow on top of the crow I'm already eating because some YouTube guy as Lee kept calling him is looking at me like I'm retarded because he told me not too... But I had the confidence of a front locker! The dude gives it a look, tells me to come at him, and ride it out. A little throttle, a lotta worry for no reason, and we're off. From there it was a short trip back to paved road. I now have two things to sort; food and this non-locking locking hub.
1000002554.jpg

I started reading this thread and got a few lines in before I thought wait a sec, that truck sounds familiar. I had the privilege of meeting and following @WrongsideDaily on Day 3 of COTR. From my vantage point this 100 performed flawlessly! Here he is making it look easy on some slick rocks that had already claimed a couple of 100s.
Davey, I'm just trying to be like you in that 570 man! Thanks for the pic!

Okay, three things to sort. The window wouldn't go down and that's NOT okay with The Boys.
1000002574.jpg

It was about this time that I got to meet my friend Scott for the first time IRL. I've known Scott for a solid ten years now through other stupid Toyota platforms. He ended up getting a J100 several years ago to use in the abhorrent Wisconsin winters and had never done any actual wheeling with it. By the time I had decided I had to make this event COTR2 was sold out, but I had determined I was coming anyway and convinced Lofty to crash the party with me. Luckily there were some cancellations and we were able to get official merch, because that's what it's all about, right?! Anyhow, if you didn't get to meet Scott, Andi, Jack, and Stella you missed out. Can't wait to see them this year on the trails. The internet sure is a trip!
1000002855.jpg

With the window and hub sorted, I'm off to Food City. Did I already say I love Food City? I ****ing LOVE Food City. Anyone that ever suffered through Tellico Plains in the 90s should understand.
1000002594.jpg

After drinking a handful of these and several others like it, mowing down five chili-cheese dogs, and a good yarn with the amigo, the boys and I were off to bed.
1000002581.jpg

Dude! Likewise! I think my biggest mistake of the entire trip was turning off the video right before you kicked the goose in his gander! If we wheel again, I won't make that mistake twice. I like your style!

So here we are, DOIN' IT FOR THA GRAMMMM!!! I try to quickly snag my obligatory PR pic. Wanted one with my boys and such, but they were just happy to be outta the Oregon Trail-like bounce-fest that is Old Man Emu and weren't exactly compliant. But I'm absolutely in love with the pics I did get. You'd be hard pressed to convince me there's a prettier place on earth this time of year than The Smokies, but I'm 100% biased.
View attachment 3207823

Watching this thing bounce up there from this angle was WILD!
View attachment 3207789

This spot here was a little bit tricky. An off camber rock step coming from the left side that drops into a bit of a gulley close to the right hand side which is guarded by a protruding rock at it's point of entry. You can get a good idea of what's going on here. I believe this dude's name was Sam, but being the basic bitch I am I remember his IG @deepsouthoverlander lol.
View attachment 3207798

The whale of a rig was not happy and at like, a gazillion pounds, I think the owner wasn't comfortable using @MechE30's method. A quick line pull and I'm up next.
View attachment 3207804

Remember I had said I had unlocked my hubs at some point once we hit trails that allowed some higher speeds? Yeahhhhhhh. Turns out you don't need to pack an Aisin hub like a Southern church on Sunday. It ain't a wheel bearing. So I choose a line that would be perfect and make easy work for a truck equipped with a front locker. For a truck without a front locker, it's probably the stupidest line you could take. This is where I find out that the driver hub didn't engage, and the passenger torque steers me RIGHT in the ditch. So now I'm honestly kinda worried. Without skids and sliders, I'm in the perfect position to eat a good amount of crow on top of the crow I'm already eating because some YouTube guy as Lee kept calling him is looking at me like I'm retarded because he told me not too... But I had the confidence of a front locker! The dude gives it a look, tells me to come at him, and ride it out. A little throttle, a lotta worry for no reason, and we're off. From there it was a short trip back to paved road. I now have two things to sort; food and this non-locking locking hub.
View attachment 3207808
Haha well your biggest mistake was nearly mine too. Got lucky with the bouncing and kept it rubber side down!
My actual biggest mistake was not spotting you well enough on that tree that decided to kick your handle in. I was standing there watching but didn’t recognize it in time! Glad you got it sorted back out. See you next year dude!

After reading your story telling skills, I’m subscribed.

Love the writing- between your antics and your picture on page 2, you remind me of Jeff Spicoli…🤣

Love the writing- between your antics and your picture on page 2, you remind me of Jeff Spicoli…🤣
Yup, had the exact same thought. Probably because I'm old!

View attachment 3209009
Bailey says “what’s up?”
Howdy back from my QC team (that's really not needed when you spend money at Cruiser Outfitters)
1000006530.jpg

1000006541.jpg

I swear I'm gonna get back to it, but I'm busy trying to keep my head above water trying to write my future. I think I'm gonna have to start working on cars again for a living, excited to slap together the next Pork-Spec rig NOT in the street. SO much has happened since COTR. If I haven't said it enough I'll say it again; It feels good to be home - and while I'm not quite home, yet, I guess I should rephrase and say it feels good to be homeward bound. Every stranger' face I see, reminds me how I long to be...

So I'm on my way, or rather WE'RE on our way, because Pork and Windows are always with me. Apparently Sumo Gears in the 10% underdrive variety are WAY less appealing than a sweet and savory snack according to the jury I polled.
1000006558.jpg

I really need to dust off my computer, this Pixel6 is not the move for all this, lol.

Last edited:
If anyone is local to Austin, going to Hidden Falls on Friday and camping, light wheeling Saturday. Here's some pics of Mom's other car that's going to a party this year. I got a neat koozie I'll send to the first person that understands what's going on
1000005820.jpg

1000005829.jpg

And the next Pork-Spec (read poverty) build in the current financial mistake I made. I just REALLY hate working in the street when my neighbor sells speed and tweakers are blowing by.
1000006457.jpg

Why did I resist reading this thread for so long, glad I clicked in.

Wasn't sure about this guy until I saw the TLM sticker and pretty sure you named one of your dogs pork baby?

Love the attitude towards wheelin' and just having fun. I kicked the social media cravings a few years back and glad I did, found myself doing s*** just to post it until I realized no one cares and I should focus on my life more.

It's a hike for you, but if you're up for an adventure in VT, check out The Pilgrimage this fall, you'd probably have a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom