Poor life decisions epitomized; Taking Mom's car to the party (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's 2023, it identifies as a 100 Series... If you've made it this far, you know this was the first thing I did. 19 hours in a 3FE rig with no a/c I got non op and put 250 miles on, LMFAO! Come say hi and let's talk about poor life decisions over a wet snack!
PXL_20230616_231310324.MP.jpg

It's 2023, it identifies as a 100 Series... If you've made it this far, you know this was the first thing I did. 19 hours in a 3FE rig with no a/c I got non op and put 250 miles on, LMFAO! Come say hi and let's talk about poor life decisions over a wet snack!View attachment 3350845
Oh s*** i saw you and Windows at the event! Was the only black dude there :)

you make it back home bud?

Oh s*** i saw you and Windows at the event! Was the only black dude there :)

you make it back home bud?
What up Kam! Yeah man, we made it! Since the trip up from Texas wasn't enough suffrage for us, we jammed our way down 40 past our turn for Texarkana since I still had beer left with our sights set on OKC to visit a manufacturer I have building me some parts. Here's a shot on the way out to Food City to get one last fried Pork Chop Biscuit to get me right.
PXL_20230618_143816936.MP.jpg

I actually ended up heading East and stopped at my buddy Joey's not too far from Windrock and then headed to Knoxville to try to grab a fan shroud since I ate mine leaving panther rock. No dice on the shroud, but Windows got to frog out on the floor and cool his balls off while we watched videos of Tellico and had a bite. Jake and Jamie, thanks for the Hospitality!
PXL_20230618_204512938.MP.jpg

I ended up leaving Knoxville late afternoon and made it to Nashville around 7ish. I hit up a buddy local for a rec on a sandwich and headed downtown towards Hattie B's and Prince's to see which one I was gonna choose; turns out it was neither because they had the whole area blocked off for some kind of an event with a gazillion people everywhere. Made the poor decision of choosing a food trailer two blocks away from where I wanted to go, choked it down, and set off with Windows to give him a little break from the car.
PXL_20230619_010849997.MP.jpg

This is Windows' reaction to not letting us in the bar because I didn't have my ID
PXL_20230619_010500026.MP.jpg

Got hammered by rain headed towards Memphis so we pulled over and slept until the rain stopped, then headed West and found myself with a change in course as Monday crept in. A spot on the map caught my eye. Cass, AR... I had been here many moons ago with my father in the Hilux and this entire trip was pretty much just me missing him and wanting to feel closer, so I grabbed a bag of ice for my warming beer and headed down HWY 23, Pig Trail. I find it funny that this just happens to be another Porkular coincidence in my life starting with being born in the Year of the Pig, and finding myself back here randomly. Once I realized this, I was extremely glad I had steered off course and quickly forgot about how tired and ready I was to be home.

PXL_20230619_140258342.MP.jpg

I'm an overlander now! Purchased a sticker from the general store and affixed it next to the Mt. Whitney sticker. I had to Google that, it's in Cali! This ol' Tractor has seen some s***! It makes me smile knowing that I didn't let it's journey end there and I hope this thing ends up in a good home where someone keeps putting the right kinda miles on it.
PXL_20230619_140032206.MP.jpg

Mall trophy applied, time to find some woods and water for a morning beer. I'm not a morning beer kinda guy, but at this point I'm so frazzled that down is up, and I just want to relax and pitch some rocks. I don't even care about time. It's Monday and I'm reflecting upon this trip I'm still making, still reeling that I made it and wheeled Windrock in a truck I put 250 miles on around town before pulling the trigger and heading East.
PXL_20230619_141503096.MP.jpg

The Ozarks are GORGEOUS! Much needed water for myself and Beefers.
PXL_20230619_143817831.PORTRAIT.jpg

All good things come to an end, so it's fitting Oklahoma is next on the agenda. I don't hate Oklahoma, I actually appreciate it because if it didn't suck so much, Texas might fall into the Gulf! Forgot my card in the car here and liked the view, so I took a shot. Here is where the humidity came back, the heat is in the high 90s, and home seems a million miles away.
PXL_20230619_184202612.MP.jpg

Right about here is where I started to feel dead. Windows is fading, too.
Screenshot_20230619-181314.png

Stopped at a little place that google said was dog friendly and they were indeed. They assessed the shape we were in and greeted us with a cold beer and a bottle of water on the house. A big plate of fries came quickly, and Windows started coming back to life.
PXL_20230619_235053801.jpg

Windows and the 100 trading places! Thought I was gonna get the wheel bearing knocked out and my press cylinder started leaking and doesn't have enough ass to pop the retainer and bearing together while pissing fluid 😭 Maybe I'll work on the Prius today. FML.
PXL_20230623_221219347.MP.jpg

Windows and the 100 trading places! Thought I was gonna get the wheel bearing knocked out and my press cylinder started leaking and doesn't have enough ass to pop the retainer and bearing together while pissing fluid 😭 Maybe I'll work on the Prius today. FML.
View attachment 3356790
I should’ve asked if you were going to be at the shop today. I would’ve stopped by with some skis and introduced myself. 🤦‍♂️

@txtuffluck I'm always here unless I'm not! If you're in the area again feel free to reach out, always good to put a face to a name.

Welp, the spacer for the wheel bearing looked a lil' chingale'd so I'm about to go scoop one of those and should have this guy popped back together and stuffed into a corner 'til I get my hands on the pinion bearings for the 32 spline pinion. I only chucked the outer across the room but I'm probably gonna just snag another set as well since I have an extra set of new carrier bearings. Shelf parts are usually nice to have and have done me really well in the past.
PXL_20230625_195746350.jpg

Also looks like someone has done this side before, or the outer seal got knocked loose somehow? The former makes more sense, especially with some other signs on the hub/backing plate.
PXL_20230625_200254642.MP.jpg

PXL_20230727_001402964.MP.jpg

Sometimes I think about this thing. 2.5s are out; Carbon Shocks Technologies has got to be the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Leaking res out of the box, machined parts not uniform (appears to be a parts loading issue, which is REALLY sad) as well as it doesn't seem they own a debur knife. Also some absolute design flaws. Oh, and hoses and fittings that say CHINA all over them. That was just the set they made for my 4runner customer. Told them cash me out, if they can't uniformly machine lower shock bodies, the internals have to be wrong as well. And leaks out the box tell me they are. Opened a box expecting to hear Bald Eagles going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" and instead opened the box and heard "AAAALLLLIIIII BABA!!"

I really need to order the rear pinion bearings and seal. Honestly just been busy trying to stay afloat and thinking about my Prius.

boooooooooooooo

BOOOOOOO.... But hey how much for the wheels?

Joey
Which wheels, the steelies? I might be keen to sell those.

Finally got some room. Had an idiot friend buy an FZJ80 recently. We went and looked at a SUPER nice rig he found here, locally. But he's retarded and somehow ended up not listening to anything I said and showed up in the most mechanically clapped out truck I've seen in a while from diffs filled with water, to windows off track. Interior equally bad. Paid 9k for a BHG special. Didn't even realize it had lockers til the drive from Dallas to Leander when he had to wait for it to cool off (SUPER face palm). He didn't seem happy when I told him he's the most unobservant person I've met in my entire life and that Helen Keller would've been pissed she wasted her time to even check it out...
PXL_20230916_020901510.MP.jpg

I felt so bad about how s***ty it was that I had the VC and intake powdered Texture Black (not wrinkle) and painted the raised lettering on the cover gold. It made me feel better about charging him to do a Head Gasket on something that shoulda been a parts truck. Worst part is, he already purchased a part time kit for the 97 and reduction gears and wanted them in this, so he's DEEP in, and steel needs a front diff rebuild; pinion bearings are smoked, didn't like the water in the diff, or the damaged driveshaft from the sway bar being in the stock spot and having chingos of lift. So HG, studs, t chain, new front cover and oil pump, rear main, part time, knuckle rebuild, and a cloth seat swap, it's gone and no longer my problem.

PXL_20230915_161753675.MP.jpg

This 3rd gen 4runner was also leaving, so I took advantage of the winch. There was zero reasonable way to get the 100 back in without a winch or effing some stuff up trying to use a tow strap. This 4runner is COOL! SUPER proud of this one as it started it's second life as a 2wd 60k mile certified used vehicle 19 years ago that my friend ended up with after his Ranger got stolen. A few years ago he wanted to get into a 4wd version of his rig, but at 120k he had the cleanest 3rd gen around. At that point I swapped it to 4wd with 4.30s from 4.10s, OEM E-locker out back, Eaton e locker up front, and a j shift t case and Tacoma manual locking hubs. Full skids, all the things, he's done 40k of adventure with it since on the same OME lift it had. It was TERRIBLE. This month I tossed the 100 series rear shocks on since he had someone add some spacers to keep up with his load, and the 4runner shocks were at the end of their physical rope. With the 100 series shocks and some 2861 springs, I saw how bad the geometry was and got him to order some OPT off-road adjustable arms, bought some OEM brackets from Toyota, and got the axle where it needs to be for such tall springs to operate on the plane they're supposed to, and cut the old sway bar brackets off and welded new ones on to do the same for the bar. Also ordered like 4k worth of Radflos new ROAM series designed specifically with heavy roof weight and whatever, they're not here yet. But this thing is back to driving closer to stock than it has in 10nyears and my boy is EXCITE.
PXL_20230913_201358523.MP.jpg

Lol, ADHD, but I like talking about this rig because it's rad. ANYWHO, TL;DR, the Eagle is back in the nest.
PXL_20230915_161758491.MP.jpg

I made a bracket for it yesterday to mount my auxiliary fuse/relay box I got from Littlefuse. I need to finish locker wiring, as well as a LOT of other stuff. We'll see if that ever happens, but it is the season where I actually get motivated and the weather is conducive to allow long hours. If it gets put back together, it's just gonna be a beater trail rig. And that's honestly exactly what I need.
PXL_20230918_000010994.jpg

Ended up wiring the ARB harness to the factory 80 series switch. The 80 series switch works a little different than the 100 series switch with pin one being the 12v switched source on the latter, so I popped the connector apart and de-pinned it. I took pin one, from the 15a fuses source, and sent that to the ARB isolation switch, which then sends power to pin 4 of the 80 switch. Pin 1 will go to the ARB solenoid for the rear locker, and pin 2 will trigger the relay for the Eaton front locker. Unused circuits were clipped, folded, and heat shrunk to prevent shorts.
PXL_20230918_204726718.MP.jpg

Found a common illumination source for the isolation switch I mounted in the same area as the diff lock switch and rear window vents.
PXL_20230918_210337129.MP.jpg

I'm completely unsold on where I want the compressor. I don't like under the hood even though it seems to work for 99% of folks just fine. ARB recommends being central between the two lockers or as close to the single unit as possible and my locker is in the rear. And while I don't see myself using the compressor to air up tires, an air mattress might be used at some point. I'm leaning towards in the cabin somewhere, possibly central. But at least I can call the switch side of things done.
PXL_20230918_210511577.MP.jpg

Being a fringe member of society and knowing my mom hates me anyway, I got some more finger tattoos. I'm trying to make myself less employable in order to force me to step up my efforts of making things work at the shop. Logic is logic, whether it works out or it doesn't!
PXL_20230906_184637108.MP.jpg

If anyone has a decent 3fe crank pulley and woodruff, I needs. I'm gonna need a daily in the next week and the 80 series is the most reasonable candidate. It hasn't moved since GSMTR. I still can't believe it even made it home. Need it shipped to 78641 TX
PXL_20230919_121429423.MP.jpg

Anyone else get goose bumps when the tips touch?
PXL_20230921_163313754.MP.jpg

FWIW you can totally stuff an a343 from an 80 series in an '08 GS350. That didn't amaze me. What did amaze me is getting 28.2mpg round trip from Leander to Houston and back with said a343 stuffed in the trunk for half the trip! As I hadn't eaten all day, the SouthSide sign advertising 12 Garlic Sausages for $10 got me to make an unplanned stop. Quick check to make sure I wasn't puking ATF in the trunk and I headed home to fire up the grill.
PXL_20230920_235909963.MP.jpg

Promptly got the a343 guts on the table, followed by a 30-40LS trans (another a34X variant) from a JZX81. It was cool to see that the LC trans is beefier than the 1jzgte trans. I wish I still had a 2jzgte trans to yank apart and compare with. I know I can figure it out using the computer but I thoroughly enjoy this way more.
PXL_20230921_233729324.jpg

I also put the Torsion bars back where they're supposed to be on the 100. Such a better vibe, it was looking REALLY depressed.
PXL_20230921_194545113.MP.jpg

I should probably be trying to scare up work, but it's Friday, it's been a s***ty week, and I just wanna drink beer by the creek with my dogs. Instead, I'm more than likely gonna chase down what I need to make some brackets for these seats I acquired to stuff in the 80 series.
PXL_20230916_202331709.MP.jpg

PXL_20230926_180728501.MP.jpg

This thing is gonna be good. A tall person would love this. I'm going to space them up probably an inch and a half, but this is gonna be good. I'm super gay about period correct stuff and this has me FULL Doogie Howser. Just gotta peel the feet off the driver seat and weld 'em on the other frame I welded up. 4x 15" 1-1/2" by 3/16" strip squared with 2h 2-3/8" hanging off the rear. Weld 4x tabs off the side, GTG.

PXL_20230926_160735266.MP.jpg

Please keep in mind that I'm not a welder, merely an idiot with tools. I was channeling Roadkill Garage today: open tied shoes, whining, and over-thinking like Frieburger, then put my hair up and handled some s*** like Dulcich.
PXL_20230926_163759060.MP.jpg

This is gonna be good.
PXL_20230926_180739335.MP.jpg

Meanwhile, Pork Babe be like "I'm not retarded but I like rocks". My man's got no toofs left, but who am I to stop a Pig from being happy?!
PXL_20230924_204434851.jpg

I've been deep in some trannies lately, call me Eddie Murphy
PXL_20231012_153739231.jpg

Big Wags all around, passed the QC department!
PXL_20231012_153953850.MP.jpg

Been a while since I've welded any aluminum, let alone cast. If this thing fits in my A761E the way I think it does I might need to borrow a friend's machine as mine was acting weird last time I fired it up.
PXL_20231012_154609455.MP.jpg

Having kind of a hectic week so I probably won't get to this as soon as I want but if it works I can march on to the next stage of Paralysis of Analysis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom