poor engineering tailgate screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Threads
It is not often that I come upon a part on my Cruiser that I think is poorly engineered. Right now, I'd like to get a hold of the designer who decided the rear tailgate needed phillips screw head bolts for the supports and strangle him. Needless to say I stripped them out, vice grips did work to get them off. I suppose if I want to replace them I'll be giving CDan a call for some $3/each crappy phillips screw head bolts. Allen heads would have served the same purpose but not been so easy to strip.

I doubt those screws would have stripped unless you used the wrong size Philipps screw driver, or they had been previously damaged.

Kalawang

Unfortunately the damn things only come with the straps..:mad:

Fortunately I don't need them. I was just taking them off to remove the tailgate off a rig I'm parting out. I wonder if there is another metric bolt with like an allen head that could be supstituted?
QUOTE:
I doubt those screws would have stripped unless you used the wrong size Philipps screw driver, or they had been previously damaged.

Have you ever taken them off after they have been on for 12 years? Also they appear to be made out of softer than normal for Toyota bolts material. They stripped fairly easily. I may have in fact used the wrong screwdrivers, I tried a different technique on all 4 and none of them worked. It is fairly wide in the head but really shallow.

I bet the straps are spendy!

one of mine came stripped already when I got it. Don't know if that happened before or after the welded nut got loose inside and the bolt was wobbling about.
But I was able to hold the "side" of the bolt with visegrips and tighten things up.
(see another thread).
In a pinch you could grind the edge of the bolt head, make 2 flats and use a wrench, going from memory...

ginericfj80 said:
Fortunately I don't need them. I was just taking them off to remove the tailgate off a rig I'm parting out. I wonder if there is another metric bolt with like an allen head that could be supstituted?
QUOTE:

Have you ever taken them off after they have been on for 12 years? Also they appear to be made out of softer than normal for Toyota bolts material. They stripped fairly easily. I may have in fact used the wrong screwdrivers, I tried a different technique on all 4 and none of them worked. It is fairly wide in the head but really shallow.

I bet the straps are spendy!

An impact driver works well for stubborn larger phillips if you have the room to get it in place and hit it with a hammer. The impact action drives the bit into the head (preventing it from slipping as easy) and the impact breaks loose the stubborn ones. Just a thought...

george.

That was one of the methods. It really mushroomed that one without any movement.

I like the idea of grinding flat spots on them and using a wrench. If I every have to do it again I might try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom