Poor eBrake because... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
... I drove around with it on. :doh: Please don't b***h slap me because my wife already has.

Im gonna yank the rotor in a couple days and take a look see as to what I'll need to do. If anyone has any experience with this would it be safe to say Ill need to turn the drum and replace the shoes or can I scuff the drum and shoes with some scotchbrite to get it close to normal? Needless to say Im trying to save a few bucks while trying to maintain the functionality of my eBrake.

Thanks...

the shoes are probably toast if it's been that way for any length of time. The bellcranks have seized along with all the connecting pins. Clean everything up and grease with white lithium. I wouldn't trun the drum surface. I did however replace everything with new to get the e-brake to be able to hold the truck in drive with a little pressure on the gas pedal.

Thanks for the advice. Im gonna rip into this tomorrow in all likelyhood.

LandyLover said:
... I drove around with it on. :doh: Please don't b***h slap me because my wife already has.

Man, you told the wife what you did?

As part of owning a cruiser you need to not tell her how much stuff really costs and all the stuff you break while working on it. Your marriage will last longer.

True, but I can get her onside without being so subversive because can get Yota parts at 20%off. When we're talking about birfs and CDL switches and crap she gets pumped about saving money.

Later

Rusty Phillips said:
how much are the shoes for the E-brake?

are the FZJ Ebrake shoes compatable with any other toyota rear drums or are they FZJ specific?

They are e-brake specific and I've never seen a set that needs changing.

However, I don't drive around with mine on. ;)

In fact, I avoid the situation altogether by never using it.

FYI, I yanked the rotor to look at the nightmare, but alas, there was none to be found. I ended up scotchbrighting the drum and shoes, cleaner her up, adjusted it, done. Works pretty good. Not quite 10 out of 10 but its 5 times better than it was.

i used to forget about the e-brake in my tacoma. i just wasn't used to it's location. mostly, my friends would set it when they borrowed it and i wouldn't notice it was on. eh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom