Poor Caster with IMS 540 (1.4") coils installed in front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question here. I recently installed dobinsons IMS suspension on my 2014 LC200. I installed the stock weight coils for 1.4" front and 1.5" rear lift. I had the alignment done afterwards by a toyota dealership but caster is still outside of spec. If others have installed this or similar suspension, would you expect to need aftermarket UCAs or should I revisit the alignment. I hate to replace the OEM UCAs if its simply a sloppy alignment job. Appreciate any input.

Post up your aligment sheet if you have it. Generally its a good idea to add UCAs when lifting. However your 1.4" lift at the front isnt extreme by any means so I'd imagine a good alignment shop could get you in the green. Something to note that when you lift and add larger tires just getting into the green or within spec may not provide the ideal ride. This is where upper control arms come in. The additional built in caster will do numbers for you.

FF1D1EC4-D755-4159-AF15-0C542042A567.jpeg

Here it is.

Yikes ! If you are not ready to pull the trigger on UCAs at least go to an alignment shop that is familiar with the eccentric cam bolts on the LCA. They can dial in the camber and caster. Looks like they didnt do much to address camber and caster. Just did your toe.

Yikes ! If you are not ready to pull the trigger on UCAs at least go to an alignment shop that is familiar with the eccentric cam bolts on the LCA. They can dial in the camber and caster. Looks like they didnt do much to address camber and caster. Just did your toe.
Thanks. That was my gut reaction too. I'll see what I can figure out.

Why the hell did they reduce your caster that much? Target should be 3 degrees.

To set an alignment they do caster first, then camber, then toe. I assume caster dropped when reducing camber but that reduction seems big to me, like they only adjusted one of the two cams. Unless your cam bolts are frozen (unlikely on a Texas vehicle) they should've been able to do better than that.

That said, you probably need a set of aftermarket UCAs. I wasn't able to get more than about 1.3 deg of caster after my mild lift. With SPC adjustable UCAs I could push it to more than 4 degrees, which is OVER the spec.

I do agree this is a case of sloppy or an unskilled alignment tech. The caster number is no where near what the stock adjusters are capable of for this lift.

If your lift is only 1.4" that's easily within the stock adjustment capacity. If they can get caster into the low end of spec, that should be just fine too. Steering probably feels pretty loose with relatively little self centering at the settings you have now?

Definitely an untrained tech on the alignment rack. Caster may not be in spec without upper control arms, but you should at least get 2 degrees which will drive properly. The alignment tech did not adjust the rear cam, only the front. If the tech would have adjusted the rear cam to the max position or close to it before setting the front, you wouldn't have such an unreasonable alignment.

I'm about an inch over with my Kings and OME UCAs and Les Schwab got the alignment spot on. I was on the fence with this low of a lift as to whether I would need UCAs but I'm glad I did them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom