Builds Poopies Urban Assault FZJ80 build thread and inquiry central (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been dredging up a lot of old and dead threads in my search for information. Ive long dreamed of buying an FJ80 and building a Trail/rock/expedition rig I can use for family off-road camping and terrorizing the neighbors with. I will soon have my new 2012 Trail edition 4runner paid off and I will probably just keep that stock or close to stock for grocery getting...

Within the next month or so I will begin looking for a base 1996 or 1997 factory locked fzj80/LX450 in good shape. There is probable a million things I plan to do to it but the biggest will be motor, transmission, suspension related.

A couple questions to get this started... Im looking to see 500hp or so to the wheels. to accomplish this I will still want to still have fast spool up and lower rpm power... this probably wont be that easy but for about 1300 bucks I can find a 6766 turbo with .7-.8 A/R housing Im wondering if this ar ratio turbo will be capable of what im wanting? Ive heard that precision has good turbos but they are hell trying to get any repair work or warranty coverage work done. Does turbonetics make a twin scroll turbo that would be a good budget friendly setup?

On to the transmission... 500hp to the wheels will not be easy on a stock or even modified VB A343F has anyone done a H151F conversion? I imagine it would bolt right up to the 1fz-fe and I could then eliminate the transmission TCU... Then again, maybe the 151 will be a downgrade to a stock (with modified VB) 343 auto?

I have a lot of research to do suspension wise but I imagine ill be constructing some form of 3 3 or 4 link up front and 4 link out back on top of custom coils. I may also look into modifying the steering for high drive angles as well as manual disconnecting sway bars so that I can go from full offroad back to the street...

totally doable and a good idea. i'd probably just throw a 300 shot of NOS on the stock motor and do AWD burnouts like a boss. drill holes in the exhaust downpipe for that loud grizzly-bear like sound and then as far as suspension goes, just attach random links with heim joints to the frame and the axle and remove all the other BS like wheels and brakes and tierods. It'll flex all savage like while sounding like a BEAST bro

Why do you want 500HP?

totally doable and a good idea. i'd probably just throw a 300 shot of NOS on the stock motor and do AWD burnouts like a boss. drill holes in the exhaust downpipe for that loud grizzly-bear like sound and then as far as suspension goes, just attach random links with heim joints to the frame and the axle and remove all the other BS like wheels and brakes and tierods. It'll flex all savage like while sounding like a BEAST bro

Thanks for the awesome advice

Why do you want 500HP?
Why not?

Ok so here are my recommendations and you can take them or leave them. lol

I would come off of your requirement for 500awhp just slightly and do a Precision 6266. You can also get it in journal bearing so it is cheaper, probably around $1050-1100.

I would get it with the "S" cover for the turbine, this is a 4" air intake and a 2.5" outlet.

I would get it with a T4 divided flange, and a 1.0ar exhaust housing. This has a 3 5/8" v-band outlet

This will get you a lot of power, and still allow you to have low end torque. It won't be a race car but you will pretty easily be able to pass any SUV on the street.

IF you are stuck on that 500awhp number you will need a Precision 6766, and yes you can get them in journal bearing for around $1300. My recommendations still stands. "S" Cover turbine housing, but I would go with a T4 divided flange .84ar exhaust housing to help with spool.

To run 500awhp you're going to need about 800cc injectors, I am not sure what will fit that is that size, and you could probably get away with a single Walbro 400 pump, or maybe 2 Aeromotive 340's, or 265's, etc.

On a turbo the size of the PT6766, to make 500awhp, you are probably looking at about 22psi@5000rpms. No one on mud is pushing a stock motor that hard. I am pushing 16-17psi and lilevo is pushing 12psi on a little larger turbo than mine (57mm vs 61mm). I am making about 2.28x more power than stock and lilevo is making about 2.03x stock. To get 500awhp you will need about 3.59x more than stock power. At a minimum I would be looking at ARP head studs and depending on the shape of the block and head a MLS gasket if it is nice and smooth or stock gasket if it is a little worn.

You are going to need a stand alone engine management system. Haltech, AEM, Motec, Vipec, Proefi, pick your tuner and whatever they are comfortable with. I think you are in Houston? You have Secret Service Auto, D3 Performance, etc, in Austin you have Boost Logic and in San Antonio you have JMS, any of them could easily help you out.

Do you know who is going to do your fab work?

Sorry Arizona, the only reason I can recommend shops here in Texas is because I have built 3 turbo cars here in Texas and know all of those guys pretty well. I would just start looking around at the car culture and see who keeps coming up.

There is a lot of weirdness going on with that cruiser. I have seen the article many times. Turbo technology has come a long way and there is really no need for duals now with turbos that will easily support that HP level. Hell you could easily get that with a PT7675, and guys have been running them single on Supras for a while.

I think they just wanted to be unique and someone had a lot of money to spend and wanted something no one else could have. But the power numbers are not at all that impressive for what it is.

It says in the article it has a new redline at 8000rpms, that alone would give you the ability to make 700hp at very moderate boost levels.

The impressive motor feat would be Titan's 1800hp 1FZFE....

There is a lot of weirdness going on with that cruiser. I have seen the article many times. Turbo technology has come a long way and there is really no need for duals now with turbos that will easily support that HP level. Hell you could easily get that with a PT7675, and guys have been running them single on Supras for a while.

I think they just wanted to be unique and someone had a lot of money to spend and wanted something no one else could have. But the power numbers are not at all that impressive for what it is.

It says in the article it has a new redline at 8000rpms, that alone would give you the ability to make 700hp at very moderate boost levels.

The impressive motor feat would be Titan's 1800hp 1FZFE....

I know. I was actually looking for another build here with an impressive turbo set up, but couldn't find. Don't think it was lxextremes, but around that era.

scott thanks for the info my man, I may still look at the Holley EFI setup. I wont have to bother with a tuner.

I will still toss up turbo sizing ideas I am still not dead set on what I want. im thankful for your replies bro as I do appreciate the help and I will not be leaving any information learned in these forums on the table.

Depending on the condition and compression of the stock motor of whatever I get I may freshen it up with a rebuild and minor upgrades. If not I will probably slap some aftermarket valve springs in along with an upgraded HG and studs.

I will not be tearing around drag racing everyone on and off road in this. But I still want the transmission fairly capable of handling the power. would a manual trans swap be of any benefit? I think the H151F will bolt right in and I can get an upgraded clutch...

Ok so here are my recommendations and you can take them or leave them. lol

I would come off of your requirement for 500awhp just slightly and do a Precision 6266. You can also get it in journal bearing so it is cheaper, probably around $1050-1100.

I would get it with the "S" cover for the turbine, this is a 4" air intake and a 2.5" outlet.

I would get it with a T4 divided flange, and a 1.0ar exhaust housing. This has a 3 5/8" v-band outlet

This will get you a lot of power, and still allow you to have low end torque. It won't be a race car but you will pretty easily be able to pass any SUV on the street.

IF you are stuck on that 500awhp number you will need a Precision 6766, and yes you can get them in journal bearing for around $1300. My recommendations still stands. "S" Cover turbine housing, but I would go with a T4 divided flange .84ar exhaust housing to help with spool.

To run 500awhp you're going to need about 800cc injectors, I am not sure what will fit that is that size, and you could probably get away with a single Walbro 400 pump, or maybe 2 Aeromotive 340's, or 265's, etc.

On a turbo the size of the PT6766, to make 500awhp, you are probably looking at about 22psi@5000rpms. No one on mud is pushing a stock motor that hard. I am pushing 16-17psi and lilevo is pushing 12psi on a little larger turbo than mine (57mm vs 61mm). I am making about 2.28x more power than stock and lilevo is making about 2.03x stock. To get 500awhp you will need about 3.59x more than stock power. At a minimum I would be looking at ARP head studs and depending on the shape of the block and head a MLS gasket if it is nice and smooth or stock gasket if it is a little worn.

You are going to need a stand alone engine management system. Haltech, AEM, Motec, Vipec, Proefi, pick your tuner and whatever they are comfortable with. I think you are in Houston? You have Secret Service Auto, D3 Performance, etc, in Austin you have Boost Logic and in San Antonio you have JMS, any of them could easily help you out.

Do you know who is going to do your fab work?

Myself and a buddy will be building and doing everything ourselves. We have a nice 2000 sq foot shop and plenty of fabbing tools. As soon as my buddy completes his wiring on his twin turbo LSX 280z we will be focusing on the FZJ.

I know, I like the Holley self tune feature but I do not think it works with the 1FZFE, cam and crank sensors, that is why I said check it in the other thread.

A minor refresh is always good. I am still running on my stock 150,000 mile bottom end..... lol

If you two are doing all the fab, are you going to do a J pipe off the stock manifolds to do the turbo manifold? Or will you be building a new custom turbo manifold?

Like I said I get 500awhp as a good goal, but let me tell you that at over 2 1/4 times the stock hp and torque you quickly run out of stock brakes....

dyno-jpg.856784

Yeah again the sky is the limit if you want to start getting crazy, that little drag car was running a 1000hp turbo and NOS, he eventually blew the motor around 700awhp, which is probably over 1000 crank hp.

I am not trying to tell you that you can't build a huge hp truck, but I think if you throw a huge turbo at it, and let the 1FZFE boost high enough to warrant that big turbo, you are going to have transmission issues, transfer case issues, broken ring gears in the front end, etc.

Again there is almost a 33% drivetrain loss! You can see it in the before dynos, stock engine power is 212hp most people dyno around 140hp, so to hit your goal of 500awhp, you are going to be making 745hp at the crank.

That extra 245hp is going into the drivetrain, it is going to be heat and compound loss, so your trans input would see 745hp, your trans output might see 645hp, your TC might see 645hp input, 570hp output, all the way to the wheels, there is going to be a lot of accelerated breakage.

Not to mention if you want to push a 6766 hard enough to make 500awhp you have the potential to see 850ft/lbs at the motor by 3250rpms, this is way outside the design limitations for every part on the truck.

I am not discouraging it, just like I told Bret "go for it!" but I couldn't put my hard earned money on it, because I think the sum of the parts could very quickly turn the truck into a garage queen.

I know, I like the Holley self tune feature but I do not think it works with the 1FZFE, cam and crank sensors, that is why I said check it in the other thread.

A minor refresh is always good. I am still running on my stock 150,000 mile bottom end..... lol

If you two are doing all the fab, are you going to do a J pipe off the stock manifolds to do the turbo manifold? Or will you be building a new custom turbo manifold?

Like I said I get 500awhp as a good goal, but let me tell you that at over 2 1/4 times the stock hp and torque you quickly run out of stock brakes....

Im not sure on the manifolds yet. we will probably reuse the flanges and custom make new ones...

I found this but not sure how it translates to what we have in the 1FZ

Holley EFI systems have certain compatibility requirements in regards to crankshaft and camshaft speed and position inputs.
Due to the vast signal differences that OEM applications use, many OEM crank and camshaft sensor input strategies are not currently compatible with Holley HP and Dominator EFI systems.
The following applications are currently supported using the various harnesses Holley offers:
Plug and Play with GM LSx 24x crankshaft applications (with factory 1x cam input)
Plug and Play withe GM LSx 58x crankshaft applications (with factory 4x cam input)
Plug and Play with GM computer controlled HEI distributors
Plug and Play with Ford TFI distributors
Can be used with typical “1 pulse per cylinder firing” crank triggers or distributor
crankshaft speed inputs (Hall Effect or magnetic)
For sequential fuel injection, a 1x cam signal input, which must be timed appropriately, can be used. (Hall Effect)
Inputs for non ECU controlled timing applications (12v square wave and can connect to the negative side of an inductive coil).
Holley offers their own waste fire DIS ignition systems which can be retrofitted onto any even fire 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines.
This requires the use of Holley coils, their 60
2 (58x) crank
trigger wheel, and a
1x cam position sensor installed in the appropriate location.
For other crank and cam inputs, as well as the use of other OEM DIS coils other than GM LSx, it is recommended you contact Holley tech services for compatibility requirements and options.
Holley is actively working on more applications for the future. These new applications will be released and available on the Holley EFI website as a free download once they are finalized, so check back often for new applications.

Yeah again the sky is the limit if you want to start getting crazy, that little drag car was running a 1000hp turbo and NOS, he eventually blew the motor around 700awhp, which is probably over 1000 crank hp.

I am not trying to tell you that you can't build a huge hp truck, but I think if you throw a huge turbo at it, and let the 1FZFE boost high enough to warrant that big turbo, you are going to have transmission issues, transfer case issues, broken ring gears in the front end, etc.

Again there is almost a 33% drivetrain loss! You can see it in the before dynes, stock engine power is 212hp most people dyno around 140hp, so to hit your goal of 500awhp, you are going to be making 745hp at the crank.

That extra 245hp is going into the drivetrain, it is going to be heat and compound loss, so your trans input would see 745hp, your trans output might see 645hp, your TC might see 645hp input, 570hp output, all the way to the wheels, there is going to be a lot of accelerated breakage.

Not to mention if you want to push a 6766 hard enough to make 500awhp you have the potential to see 850ft/lbs at the motor by 3250rpms, this is way outside the design limitations for every part on the truck.

I am not discouraging it, just like I told Bret "go for it!" but I couldn't put my hard earned money on it, because I think the sum of the parts could very quickly turn the truck into a garage queen.

Im not worried about the 500 number its just a number, merely drivability and hopefully reliability. I want to over engineer it then dial it down similar to how toyota's are notoriously built... Id think id much rather have the quicker spooling 6266 turbo then the bigger one that takes 2500rpms to spool up then hits all at once with the power of thors hammer. actually your setup sounds pretty ideal. however you did say youve gone through 4 transmissions? I did the same thing on my last diesel once I started making big power... finally it took a 9k dollar transmission to keep it all in check.

No I didn't go through 4 it did take me a while to get it dialed in though. I am running now no problem on a rebuilt A343F with a tuned valve body. I make about 330awhp stock was 139awhp so backwards math puts me at about 500 crank hp and 605ft/lbs of torque. I am very happy with my setup. And it is only a 57mm turbo. I think you would be really happy around, 61mm or like you said that 6266.

well ive got a free Master Power T61 .71 AR laying around. Although its an open port not twin scroll. should give me plenty of power and I think it will spool up decently

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom