Pooling oil in the Intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some wisdom from those with more experience. I just replaced my head gasket and replaced just about everything else, up top, along with it. Well I get it all back together and now I am blowing oil into my intake, so much so that it actually burns a quart between fill ups. Prior to the HG replacement I burnt a quart every 1000. I used all Toyota parts and followed the book. I need some help really quickly.
Thanks in advance.
Cory

PCV is not the issue, it is brand new along with the two crankcase ventilation hoses. The oil is entering through the PCV hose #1 which is the one without the PCV valve.

The oil is entering through the PCV hose #1 which is the one without the PCV valve.

I had that happen to my truck when the hose was split. You could not see the split from the outside, once I removed it you could tell. The intake would draw enough air through it that it'd suck oil out of the crankcase and into the intake. New hose fixed it.

I know you said you replaced both hoses, but it might be worth pulling it and inspecting it to make sure it's not damaged.

I had that happen to my truck when the hose was split. You could not see the split from the outside, once I removed it you could tell. The intake would draw enough air through it that it'd suck oil out of the crankcase and into the intake. New hose fixed it.

I know you said you replaced both hoses, but it might be worth pulling it and inspecting it to make sure it's not damaged.

I will do that because what you are describing is exactly the issue I am experiencing. Thanks for the input. I am also trying to figure out if there is some sort of filter within the baffle of the valve cover. No one seems to know.

I am also trying to figure out if there is some sort of filter within the baffle of the valve cover. No one seems to know.

Not that I've heard of, but I've haven't been in there yet myself (on my todo list). The FSM doesn't show anything of the sort. I would suspect that if there was, someone would have said something about it by now.

Another thought that I had was perhaps the PCV valve isn't installed properly.

If the o-ring in the was bad, it wasn't seated properly, installed backward (not sure if that's even possible?), valve bad, etc, it could cause the problem.

Hellow did you ever get this figured out? I took my air intake apart last knight and have the exact same problem. Can you find that bent hose at a parts store or a dealer only item? I took my 80 out to Moab last year and had real bad altitude power loss, I now wonder if this was the problem. Have you had any of this?Thanks

Hellow did you ever get this figured out? I took my air intake apart last knight and have the exact same problem. Can you find that bent hose at a parts store or a dealer only item? I took my 80 out to Moab last year and had real bad altitude power loss, I now wonder if this was the problem. Have you had any of this?Thanks

The bent hose is only a dealer item. You can replace it with just some straight hose, but it's not terribly expensive and the formed hose is nice as it conforms to the engine rather than potentially getting in the way of other bits.

If you do the PCV hoses (there are two), do the PCV valve at the same time.

What hoses are you referring to? There's only about 80 miles of hoses on the truck. You need to be more specific.

Not that I've heard of, but I've haven't been in there yet myself (on my todo list). The FSM doesn't show anything of the sort. I would suspect that if there was, someone would have said something about it by now.

Another thought that I had was perhaps the PCV valve isn't installed properly.

If the o-ring in the was bad, it wasn't seated properly, installed backward (not sure if that's even possible?), valve bad, etc, it could cause the problem.

Everything looks good. I put a vacuum gauge on both PCV hoses to see if there were any oddities. PCV hose #1 (without PCV Valve) did not register. PCV hose #2 registered between 20 and 25 mm/hg. The engine was warm when I performed the test.
And just to be clear this is all immediately after HG replacement.
I did have the head machined .005 but I can't imagine that this would create a huge compression increase. I did not have a valve job done because I felt that if I did that, then I better do the rings as well. I did have the valves tested at the machine shop, and all were fine. Prior to tearing down the engine, I ran a compression test and all cylinders were @ 150. I have not run one since it has been reassembled. I do want to see what it is now, so I will run that soon. I also advanced the timing to 4.5 degrees, don't know if that would increase crankcase pressure. And lastly I went up to Mobile 1 10W 40 from my usual Mobile 1 10W 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom