pontiac v8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my guess is it should, but you need a BOP form of any tranny you want, diff bellhousing i think. BOP=Buick Olds Pontiac

Put a '88 305 TBI out of a Firebird in a '78 FJ40 and during the time finding the odds and ends to complete the project found out any corporate GM part will fit for that year/displacement.

A true Pontiac v-8 can be a pain to install. They are wide, the starter is on the opposite side of a 2F/chevy v-8, bellhousings(other than a lakewood custom) have only the 4.686" diameter index ring. So, no sm465 unless you put a ranger O/d in there with the 4.686 nose and 5.125" tail. Limited to TH350/TH400 with BOP patterns for autos, and an sm420 with a car bellhousing.

Earl warden has done a few of these, and they came out nice, but if you are looking to be different, there are much better engine choice out there.

-Brett

It is actually a '72 307. It is free, which is why I am considering it, but I don't want anything that is going to be a huge headache, I would rather buy an engine if that is how this would turn out.

Keep it in the back. When you need to slow down, toss it out the back on a chain. You'll go slightly slower in that configuation than with it in the engine bay. ;)
Seriously, about the only one worse would be the 260 V-8 that I once had in a 76 Olds Gutless.
Now a 455 POB block might be worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom