1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polygamy no fun, admits Ethiopian

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Trollhole, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ayattu Nure: Do as I say, not as I do
    An Ethiopian man with 11 wives and 77 children is urging people not to follow his example and is giving advice on family planning and contraception.
    After seeing his fortune disappear under the competing demands of his enormous family, Ayattu Nure, 56, even urges people not to get married.

"I want my children to be farmers but I have no land, I want them to go to school but I have no money," he says.

But his eldest son has not heeded Mr Ayattu's advice and he has three wives.

Share wealth

Seven of Mr Ayattu's wives live in huts around his compound, which are in urgent need of renovation.

Another four live in huts on the other side of the valley in Giwe Abossa village, 300km from the capital, Addis Ababa in Arsi region.

He says he cannot remember all his children's names but tries to work out who they are from their mothers and which huts they live in.

Mr Ayattu says he used to be rich and wanted to share his wealth around, which is why he took so many wives.

But now he struggles to feed them all.

"I feel like killing myself when I see my hungry children whom I cannot help," Mr Ayattu says.

His wives have given birth to more than 100 children but 23 have died.

However, he blames Ethiopia's government for not doing more to help him look after all his children.

Ayattu Nure
    "I know I have done wrong by marrying many wives and begetting many children but I think I deserve help from the government."

But his biggest complaint at the moment is with the authorities of the local school which 40 of his children now attend.

They want photographs for each of his children's files, which will further deplete his meagre resources.

He says that he tries to share his time evenly between his wives and children, adding that although quarrels and squabbles are common, they try to solve their problems amicably.

"People see me as a funny man, but there is no fun in my condition. I am a desperate man struggling to survive," he says.

Although Mr Ayattu's eldest son, Dagne Ayattu, does not have a job, at the age of 33, he has seven children and is about to marry his fourth wife.

But he says he will not have as many children or wives as his father.

2. wob

wob

:rolleyes:

3. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to Utah....

4. LabRat11

LabRat11

There .... fixed it for ya. :D

5. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

LOL!!
    can you picture "rag time" (i know this isn't PC but i can not think of the proper words right now) in that house hold? sure hope he has a nice dog house to sleep in...
    he could always put his wives to work and i am sure he has kids old enough to work as well...
    sheesh...

6. wob

wob

77 kids - 40 are in school. How is he ever going to pay for college?

7. Jman

Jman

He should have just kept his pecker in his pocket.

8. SizzleChest

SizzleChest

77 kids? well that certainly doesn't help with the world overpopulation problem now does it?

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Morman tradition you have to prove you can support any wife, right? Not in this guy's case apparently.

Who would want more than one wife? That guy deserves his misery. Sheesh. i could have told him he would be miserable with 11 wives. Stupid bastid.

Makes you want to send 'em more food so they can spit out a few hundred more kids to live in a freakin' desert.

Starvin Marvin was a cool Ethernopian.

10. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

And we are GIVING Africa *BILLIONS* of dollars.

Please oh please just ONE frickin year could we KEEP OUR F-ING MONEY INSIDE OUR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it~!

11. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

normally i don't get involved with this stuff but i agree completely.
    let Canada keep our money till we are debt free then if the goverment wants to give away MY HARD EARNED money to people that can not keep their legs crossed we will talk...
    i am sure you boys in the States feel the same as HZJ60

12. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Even harder to understand is why our (U.S) money must be accepted with stringent regulations on family planning information (eg. abstinance only, no condom usage or abortion counseling).

Go forth and procreate....even if it kills us all. :rolleyes:

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.
    -Edward Abbey

-H-

13. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan (for the most part) of Cactus Ed. But didn't he have several wives? [though not at the same time].

14. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Yup, as with most authors I enjoy, they enjoy alcohol and have difficulty staying married for long...

-H-

15. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Damn, this sounds kinda like America......

16. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

Such an ignorant point of view. Supporting developing countries through aid and offering immediate assistance to the starving is a moral obligation to developed nations. You would do well to remember that only an accident of birth prevents you from watching your children starve to death. How you can hold you point of view makes me sad for you. Have some compassion you ignorant fawker

17. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Jim, i see your point of view, i just don't think it's our obligation.

18. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

Well, if you don't feel an obligation to hand out aid to the starving then what do you feel? Nothing? No desire to help at all?

You can only be speaking for yourself on this one. I believe every decent person feels compassion and a desire to help when they can (especially if the help is merely financial and can save lives of innocent people)

19. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Yeah - give the money to our own useless, irresponsible deadbeats so we can have more welfare families pumpi9ng out kids and not contributing to society. it is a wash either way. I say if you're on the dole, you get neutered.

20. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Now the fundamentalist LDSes just marry lots of wives and then apply for gubment aid. It is a great racket. LDS 'officially' got out of polygamy at just the right time and they apparently are one of the best marketers and public relations machine around. How else can you take a 'religion' started by a criminal and con man with an extremely violent history, add unbelieveable amounts of revisionist changes and make millions of people convert, believe? Oh, wait, that is apparently the story for most religions. It is odd though, how most people's understanding of LDS is so naive and ignorant. Scary institution.