Poll on blown headgaskets: maintenance history (1 Viewer)

Condition history and maintenance history

• Very good condition when it blew - poor long-term maintenance history

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average condition when it blew - poor long-term maintenance history

• Poor condition when it blew - poor long-term maintenance history

• Very good condition when it blew - unknown long-term maintenance history

• Poor condition when it blew - unknown long-term maintenance history

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Trying to see if there is any correlation between maintenance history and blown headgaskets.

If you had a blown headgasket -and only then- you may vote. Nobody else please.

Pick the closest description of your maintenance history and condition at time of blow up.

When it blew means that very day
Long-term maintenance history means over the life of the engine or at least many thousands of miles before blow up.

Good condition means a cruiserhead maintenance, serious flushings at frequent intervals, periodic checks, replacement of parts as PM etc

Average condition means per Toyota specs, no particular care but reasonable flushes and repair.

Poor condition means there was something wrong: sludge, mixed or old coolants, defective parts etc.

Good lord, e.

Go start some polls in 100's tech. :D

You got to much free time on your hands. :flipoff2:

reffug said:
Good lord, e.

Go start some polls in 100's tech. :D

You got to much free time on your hands. :flipoff2:

Not too much free time, more that if I don't do this I'll have to work in the yard or do dishes or something... But you're right I should get a life.
Just hoping this might shed some light, though, and maybe be useful.

Note: had to put the first item as a reminder since the previous poll suggested that most people would vote without reading the first post. Anybody who votes for that one has a serious problem...! :D

WTH? BeastII? You trying to scare us? This is the worst possible scenario!

e9999 said:
Not too much free time, more that if I don't do this I'll have to work in the yard or do dishes or something... But you're right I should get a life.
Just hoping this might shed some light, though, and maybe be useful.

Note: had to put the first item as a reminder since the previous poll suggested that most people would vote without reading the first post. Anybody who votes for that one has a serious problem...! :D
Understanding that you didn't want anyone to vote that didn't have a HG problem, I went ahead and voted for the "STOP,....."

firetruck41 said:
Understanding that you didn't want anyone to vote that didn't have a HG problem, I went ahead and voted for the "STOP,....."

actually it's good that you got the first part right, more than I can say for some of our colleagues in the last poll.... :)

"STOP with these inane polls!" ?

or "STOP blowing up HGs all over the place!" ?

ah, come on, we got 17 or so busted HGs and only 4 voted here...!
show some spirit, dang it!

I think your poll should be more to the point in terms of past maintenance. Many "feel" their rigs were maintained well by the PO based on a couple things done, comments the PO made, or simply because the truck was very clean when they bought it. A cleaner demarcation between "I owned it since new and the coolant has been changed every 24 months." and "I have documents showing it was changed every 24 months from the PO." vs pretty much everything else. 'Cause if you didnt own it since new, or have documents then everything else is speculation. The reason I feel this is key, is that this is THE most important thing when it comes to HG health and it would be useful to know if HGs are failing on well maintained cooling system. As you know, my guess is this is not the case - poor past maintenance is a causal factor to failures.

DougM

Someone needs to remove e9999's ability to start polls for at least a couple months. :rolleyes:

:D

Sure, the choices are imperfect. Kinda hard to do something meaningful with a small number of choices given the myriad causes possible.
Just trying to make a bit of sense out of all this and help a bit.

I think we have already ascertained whether or not this HG is a serious issue or not. We have also ascertained when it happens. Next thing is why.

With the small number of votes, it looks like even well-maintained systems can fail. If so, I would like to know!

Tell you what:
Somebody comes up with another poll on trying to figure out a bit on what is causing this high HG failure rate, hopefully with better wording but not necessarily, and I'll glady close this one up. Anybody? :)

IdahoDoug said:
I think your poll should be more to the point in terms of past maintenance. Many "feel" their rigs were maintained well by the PO based on a couple things done, comments the PO made, or simply because the truck was very clean when they bought it. A cleaner demarcation between "I owned it since new and the coolant has been changed every 24 months." and "I have documents showing it was changed every 24 months from the PO." vs pretty much everything else. 'Cause if you didnt own it since new, or have documents then everything else is speculation. The reason I feel this is key, is that this is THE most important thing when it comes to HG health and it would be useful to know if HGs are failing on well maintained cooling system. As you know, my guess is this is not the case - poor past maintenance is a causal factor to failures.

DougM

Doug, I did try to cover this. There is choice that implies long-term very good maintenance. And a choice that says they don't know. What more do you want? And I also did try to identify whether there were some notable problems right before the blowup, the idea being to find out if there are some warning factors we should heed.

How do you see the poll if you can't vote?? I'm in the STOP group :flipoff2:

E -

I've done powertrain research and few people will own up to "poor maintenance history", and few will own up to "unknown history". If they can choose something that makes them look like they bought an 80 foolishly, they'll not choose it. Forcing the "I know all about it and it's documented maintenance" or "I don't have documented maintenance" gives a cleaner cut. No worries, though - this is an informal process and I just wanted to provide a bit of input. I can't vote, so...

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
E -

I've done powertrain research and few people will own up to "poor maintenance history", and few will own up to "unknown history". If they can choose something that makes them look like they bought an 80 foolishly, they'll not choose it. Forcing the "I know all about it and it's documented maintenance" or "I don't have documented maintenance" gives a cleaner cut. No worries, though - this is an informal process and I just wanted to provide a bit of input. I can't vote, so...

DougM

ohmegod! you don't trust your fellow cruiserheads...? :eek:
:)

well, the problem is that there are very few folks here who bought their rig new (dang rich capitalists :) ) or have all the paperwork (dang lucky sonsof ;) ) so that most would be in the second category and that would not tell us too much then...

anyway, right now I'm more worried about the guys who are voting for the warning blurb... :D

Rookie2 said:
How do you see the poll if you can't vote?? I'm in the STOP group :flipoff2:

:confused:

what's this now?
you can't see the poll results?

E,

That's exactly my point. It would be interesting if you had people who've got a proven history of proper cooling system maintenance that had blown head gaskets. Less interesting would be people who bought it with 100,000 miles or more with no knowledge of the cooling system history other than "it had fresh coolant when I bought it" (prolly 'cause the dealer/PO changed it since it looked so bad in there and they wanted it to sell).

So, being able to force a clear deliniation into these two groups would provide an interesting insight into, among other things, the true cost of poor maintenance. As in blowing off coolant changeouts will cost you a $2000 head gasket at around 150,000 miles....

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom