1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll for DIESEL users and anyone who might buy a diesel vehicle

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Jul 12, 2005.

1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

This poll is multiple choice, so if more than one option applies, check it.

Would you spend $700 or so to convert your diesel powered equipment (cars, trucks, farm equipment, construction equipment, etc) to run on recycled vegetable oil, if the vegetable oil were cheap (like around $1 to $1.50 a gallon) and if it were delivered to your house, farm or job site ready to use? What if it were available at a gas station?

If not-- why?

What about Biodiesel? If it were readily available at a gas station, would you use that? What about if it were delivered to your door, farm or jobsite?

Fred

2. Deny

Deny

Fred,
    I am a little bias, since before I moved up north, I ran biodiesel in my BJ42 for 2 years, and would do it again in a heartbeat. As for the vegetable oil, I would be willing to give that a try, except for the fact that it will most likely be more than 700 when all is said and done, it will be a hassle switching between the 2 fuels, it will be sort of messy refueling, and being in Canada, it is a bit colder than some of the warmer southern parts where solidifying will be less of an issue. All of this is just what I have read, because I do not have experience using vegitable oil, just my two cents.
    Cheers,
    Deny

3. Critter

Critter

I would use SVO or RVO in a old diesel car like a 1980's Mercedes. SVO isn't really an option right now since it is still more expensive than diesel fuel.

I would NEVER use it in a new truck or car, the long term results are too vague. There is no way I would rislk ruining a new ~$14,000 diesel motor in a 3/4 - 1 ton truck to save money on diesel.

Settling/filtering used Veg oil (RVO) and storing it somewhere is a issue an also.

4. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Yes, valid points. And I agree that there have not been enough long term studies on how it would affect long term reliability. I'm relectant to use RVO in my VW TDI and it isn't a $14,000 engine... (the whole car only cost $19,000) So I can definitely see your point if you bought a 43,000 FOrd pickup with the 9,000 Diesel option.

But as far as settling and filtering, I'm interested to know if you'd buy RVO that already had all the work done to it. I.E: contaminants removed (water, pieces of chicken wings or egg rolls, etc :grinpimp: ) and was completely sterilized and treated with cetane booster so all you would do is pump it into your RVO tank and go.

Thanks, and keep those opinions coming!

Fred

5. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

I really like the idea of both biodiesal and wvo....I would even consider refining my own biodiesal if I had the room and a diesal rig. I would trade my 4runner for a decent bj-70.

6. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

lets see why i will NOT run this stuff and why i would NEVER buy a vehicle that has run it...
    i got a call from a guy in BC with fueling problems, it seems he has crud in his injector pump, the quote to fix...$2000...
    unless you pay constant attention to what you do you could end up with a huge fix-it bill.
    $2000 buys a lot of diesel...
    cheers

7. Deny

Deny

Wayne,
    I think it depends on the quality, because when I over revved my injection pump coming down some of the hills in the kootenys last summer, Jim's fuel injection took apart my pump, and cleaned it up changed some seals, adjusted it for $500. I asked him how it looked inside, and he said very clean for a truck with over 500,000km on it, and that was after running it for 1.5 years on biodiesel. I am not going to try and change your mind, cause I could care less if you will use it or not, all I know is that after 2 years, we are very happy and the only issues we have had is that the fuel starts gelling up earlier than regular diesel, otherwise, bio in my opinion is better. We do make our own, so maybe we take care more to filter s*** out, but it is a very clean fuel and the extre lube of the vegi oil should make your pump last longer.
    Cheers,
    Deny

8. Greg_B

Greg_B

Wayne...was this fellow running SVO or Biodiesel.

gb

9. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

I would never run SVO but I have been running bio for a few years now. When the price got up to 4.35 a gallon I stopped.

Tom

10. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

he made his own so i will say it was bio but i know squat about this stuff and will be the first to admit it.
    it could be crude from the bottom of the tank that got sucked into the lines.
    it could be he didn't flush before shutting down and it gelled...
    i do not remmeber the call that clearly but i do remember it re-afirmed my discision not to...
    PLEASE do not take this as me telling everyone to not run the stuff (and my views have changed about that as well), to each his own .
    cheers

11. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Closest B20 is the other side if denver. So if i'm visiting Ige I'll bio it up. I would like to homebrew but I don't have the house for a facility, so I'll just have to use the b20 every once in a while. I do wish they would put one closer. That way my wife you fill er up too every 6 weeks :)

12. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I've been buying B100 for a few months now and blend my own so that I use something between B5 and B10. I have containers at home, from which I transfer certain amounts to whichever vehicle just prior to heading over to the station for fill-up of dino-diesel. Ideally, I would love to purchase ready-mixed B20 (or greater) at the pump; however, there are no such stations here in Houston. Studies show that there is great benefit from running blends even as low as B5 for the mere fact of injection pump lubrication and also that by using blends no higher than B20, there is no deleterious effect on rubber. If one goes higher than B20, then it is necessary to have rubber parts switched over to something like Viton that is not susceptible to the surfactant effect of biodiesel. Most diesel vehicles of the last ten years already have the proper non-rubber hoses; however, older vehicles generally do not. I highly recommend use of biodiesel; however, it is critically important to ensure that it is of good quality.

13. Exiled

Exiled

Deja Vu, pretty much my thoughts exactly! I'd happily run B20 if I could get it conveniently, even if it was more expensive than dino diesel. I'd also happily run SVO if I could get it at a pump.

I love hearing stories of people making their own stuff, to me that sounds like an awesome notion but realities of my suburban live and extremely hectic work schedule make this idea impractical. I don't see myself coming home from working a 60 hour week to sweat it out in the garage mixing a big batch of fuel with a paddle and filtering it four times. It's just not going to happen, plus the chairwoman of the appropriations committee would never sign off on that proposal.

So, until B20 or SVO is available at a pump, and I don't have to drive to Killeen and burn 100 miles worth of fuel going to and from the nearest source, it's dino diesel for both the Land Cruiser and the Jetta.

14. mathblaster

mathblaster

I'm actually looking for a cheap diesel car/truck that I can convert to duel SVO & dino diesel. I think it would be a fun thing to try. But I know there are a lot of initial issues to worry about, but after a while I think things would work out in the end.

15. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

I guess I dont quite get this "conversion" talk. You dont need to convert anything on newer diesel vehicles to run bio!

16. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

17. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Right. You do not need to convert for Biodiesel. (unless. like someone said, you have an older diesel, then you'll have to remove rubber from the fuel system and replace it with something that will not corrode)

YOu do need a conversion to run Recycled Vegetable Oil. Most poeple install a dual-fuel system-- one tank is traditional petroleum diesel or BioDiesel, and the other tank is for recycled cooking oil.

Many people confuse recycled cooking oil with Biodiesel-- the terms are loosely interchangeable, but not fully.

For info about the conversion necessary for recycled vegetable oil, check out: www.greasecar.com

Thanks again for all the opinions,
    Fred