Poll: Double Pump Brake Issue (1 Viewer)

Have you experienced the low pedal or double pump issue, without an obvious mechanical cause?

• In a 98 or 99 LC/LX

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • In a 2000+ LX/LX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jLB

Another one followed me home. Can we keep it?
Threads
Our recently acquired 99 LX, has a soft brake pedal and lots of pedal travel before the brakes start to engage, when compared to our other 100 series. The pedal does firm up a bit with a double pump.

So far:
We've flushed and replaced the brake fluid along with a proper bleeding of the system (and bled it again).​
We've redone the rear brakes.​
We've been slowly going through the braking system, specifically looking leaks, bulging brake lines, stuck pins or pistons.​
Done the accumulator pump test in the manual.​

I've seen a number of posts about doing the master cylinder plunger replacement with a "fixed it", quickly followed by a "no didn't fix it".

I've seen the "adjust the rod between the pedal and the master cylinder piston" solution posts, but I am still going through the FSM instructions, to make sure I'm not causing other issues. This is probably our next attempt at resolving the issue.

One curious commonality, that I seem to have noticed, about the previous posts of people reporting having a hard to resolve "double pump" issue, without a specifically identified mechanical source, most seem to be 98 or 99 model 100 series. Is this an accurate observation?

Last edited:
Had the double pump for 2 years and 100k miles. Bled an entire quart to rear passenger tire and it went away. Before that I had done several bleds, multiple pads, and the master cylinder rebuild.

Had the double pump for 2 years and 100k miles. Bled an entire quart to rear passenger tire and it went away. Before that I had done several bleds, multiple pads, and the master cylinder rebuild.

When you did the bleed, could you notice any bubbles?

Last edited:
a very very few, I bled the brakes several times before. This was a “i have a bunch of brake fluid might as well try it”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom