1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police Job: Psychological testing-- Damned if you do, damned if you dont?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Jul 28, 2005.

1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

OK, some of you may remember from other posts that I hate my job and hate engineering in general.

So, I've been thinking of a change or career and actually am applying to the police academy....

THey requested I take an IQ test and personality test, since most law enforcement bureaus will request that I do when I apply for a job, and they want to make sure that if there's a problem with either, that they can tell me about it before I spend the next 2 years in police school.

I said I would do it.

On the personality section, there was a question that I felt was loaded.

(Answer on a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being the LEAST TRUE, 5 being the MOST TRUE)

"I do not break the law if there is a good chance of getting caught."

OK, so if I say that is not true, I'm pegged as someone who does not repsect authority and possibly is a criminal or has some kind of personality disorder... But if I say that is true, then doesn't it seem like the only reason I don't break the law is cause I don't want to get caught?

It seems like either way you interpret/answer that, it's gonna be a negative answer?

I don't break the law cause doing so is wrong, not cause I'm afraid of getting caught.

There were lots of weird questions on that test, and I'm sure that they are taken as a whole to make some kind of determination, but that question sttod out to me as one that was loaded either way it's answered.

Fred

2. wob

wob

That test probably had a ton of loaded questions. They are tabbed in a specific order, and your totals reveal which way your personality is. I wouldn't sweat it. You should just answer them honestly however you initially feel about it. Don't try to read too much into them, you will just skew the results. If you are a stand up guy (and I assume you are), the test will reveal it.

3. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

The local Fire Dept. switched over to personality type testing using a "profile" for a fire fighter. To get the baseline, they gave the test to current fire fighters, thinking that the scores they got from the pros would give them a score to judge applicants off of.

Most all of the guys I knew that took the test to get the baseline thought it was a total joke, so they answered the test questions without even looking at it.

Lo and behold, all of the new recruits over the next couple years are total misfits and most end up leaving or getting fired. They've switched back to factual testing.

4. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

If you are ambivalent about a question or feel it is "loaded" then put down "3" as your choice. That's why you have choices from "1" to "5".

Just take the test and answer honestly--you'll do fine.

5. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

I think 3 would be the worst choice. It could be they just wanted to see if you'd stop, think deliberate and come up with some kind of answer, or take the easy way out and choose 3. :)

You should see some of the questions that get asked in Med School interviews.

I was asked a lot of questions about general trivia, which were clearly to see how smart and well read I was.

"Who was marcus aurelius?"
    "What's the dangly thing at the back of your mouth called?" (uvula, BTW)
    "What was the Boxer rebellion?"
    "What are the 4 proteins that make up DNA?"
    "Who wrote 'Wuthering Heights?'"

Then there were the ones that tested ethics

"What do you think about physician assised suicide?"
    "Pretend you were opposed to abortion on moral grounds, but since it is legal, would you have problems performing one?"
    "One of your colleagues asked you for a job reference, but you knew they were a poor employee, what do you say?"

Then there were the ones to see if you had a sense of humor

"Who's buried in grants tomb?"
    "What's the funniest thing you've ever seen?"
    "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Trick questions

"How to you pronounce the capital of Louisiana? New Or-lins or New Or-Leans?" (Of course we all know, the capital of Louisiana is pronounced Baton Rouge)

Then there were the ones about the person, to see if they are well adjusted and have social skills, instead of someone who spends every hour of the day fretting about medical school and eventually becoming a jaded burnout

"Who's your best friend?"
    "What's your favorite song?"
    "Do you have a girlfriend?"
    "What do you like to do in your spare time?"
    "What was the last vacation you took?"

Then there are the ones to see how you react to stress. Many of these don't have correct answers, but are simply designed to see if you "freeze up" when confronted with something stressful

"Have you ever commited a crime that you got away with?"
    "Have you ever cheated on a wife/girlfriend?"
    "have you ever smoked pot?"
    "Did you ever drink and drive?"
    "If you could be any type of cereal, what would it be?"
    "Do you think I'm ugly?"
    "Where did you get that shirt, from the brady bunch?"
    "Did you take a shower this morning?"
    "Do you just want to be a doctor for the money?"
    "Are you hungover or something?"

With these questions, they usually don't care about the answers as much as your reaction to them. Many people will get flustered, embarrassed, offended, riled up, avoidant, etc. All they want to do is see how you react.

In cases like that, "3" is not always the best answer.

It's possible this question was to see how you'd react. It's also possible that it was a poorly written question. :beer:

Good luck by the way. I drive thru Beloit a lot, so if I put an "IH8MUD" sticker on my car, will you promise to not pull me over, unless its just to talk about cruisers? (That qualifies as an ethical question) :grinpimp:

Steve

6. elum

elum

Steve.. that's a lot of questions..

I got my B.S. in E.E. and could not imagine being an engineer.. got a commission in the Marine Corps and been active since 2001. This being said when I took the Aviation Selection Test Battery--there is a section called the Biographical Index I believe that asks questions like..

"Do you like to speed"

"Do you like to break the law"

"Have you ever been in a car chase"

etc..

and while they say "there are no wrong answers", believe you me that there definitely are "more correct" answers...

7. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Yeah, and those are just the highlights, all in all the interview took a half a day.... Not all of those were asked of me, some are ones that friends got asked. It seems all med school students have a collection of the "weird" questions they get asked. I think there used to be a website on the subject.

And my dad told me about when he was in the Corps and had to get a top secret clearance... He said they talked to everyone he once knew, Including high school teachers, ex girlfriends....

Steve

8. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

9. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I interviewed to be an Air Traffic Controller right out of high school (mid 80s) around the time people were realizing that it was a stressful job. The whole interviewing process was based on stressing you out. The written portion has some applicants pulling their hair out in the first ten minutes. I got past that fine and ended up being one of three people being interviewed for two positions. (I was WAY more laid back then). The psychological interview was *very* much like poltergeist describes.

"Could you kill a guy?"
    "Do you wear your socks to bed?"
    " 14 or 39?"

I dropped out about then to build a log house. Never looked back.

My advice is answer those questions as quickly and honestly as possible. If they don't want you, you don't want to work there.

10. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

Total hijack

What does it mean when you fall asleep really drunk and wake up in the morning with your uvula swollen up to what seems like the size of a golfball? ( I'm just waiting for all the teabag comments)

I think I have a sleep apnea problem.

11. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

A lot of police departments are using "personality" tests to try and get some ideal "super cop" during the hiring process. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

A question I remember from a recent test. How many hours a week outside of school did you work during high school ? A easy question to answer but how in the hell are they grading it and what possible relevence does it have for a applicant in his 30s.

My strategy at this point (and previously) is answer with complete honesty and if they won't take you forget them. You probably wouldn't want to work with the people they picked anyway.

Tons of departments are hiring every qualified applicant so don't get discouraged. Also don't quit your day job because the process is so long and unpredictable.

12. calamaridog

calamaridog

Tons of loaded questions. Bottom line, you have to outsmart the idiot headshrinker when he interviews you about your responses.

Piece of cake;)