1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by phishtaco, Jul 15, 2005.

1. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to get rid of poison ivy?

2. Koffer

Koffer

Is that get rid of it on you, or in your yard ? ;)

3. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

on me...good question!

4. mloudy

mloudy

Go get a shot Prednizone (sp) - steriod

edit: also I heard that when you come in to was up use the coldest water you can. Hot water, which seems logical open the pores and allows the ivy oil to get in.

Now chiggers is what I struggle with. Those little buggers like the dark warm areas and bite down.

5. mj1015

mj1015

Make sure you wash everything that came in contact and dont forget your shoes, the oil can stay on stuff a long time. If the dog got in it give it a good washing too. I like to use a Pure-Castile Soap like Dr. Bronner's. It seems to cut the Ivy oil well and works real well for camping and backpacking. (I guess if you actually had a washing machine you could use that too for your cloths).

You can try Calamine (not Caladryl) lotion or a paste made of baking soda and water if you dont have any Calamine.

You can also try taking a Benadryl.

Posion Ivy kicks my ass, had it over most of my body (to include Mr. Winky) so bad my cloths stuck on, had to go get some steriod shots.

If I think I'm going to get in a area with PI I put on some "Ivy Block" and that seems to work pretty well and after give every thing a good washing with the castile soap.

Good luck, feel for you.

6. cruise4070

cruise4070

Just went thru it about 3 weeks ago - tried calamine,benadryl, everything short of brake cleaner!
    got the shot, 10 days worth of pills, and a cream.
    It still took all this time to go away.
    If the over the counter placebos arent working i would get it checked out,
    especially if it nears the sensitive areas!

7. Metal Spice

Metal Spice

While you're waiting for the cortisone shot & other drugs to kick in (if you go that route & I stringkly suggest you do), make a paste out of plain oatmeal & apply it to the affected areas. It will take away the itch. Barring that, soak in an oatmeal bath - Aveeno makes one & you can pick it up at any grocery store, Target, Wal Mart, Walgreens, etc around here.

8. mj1015

mj1015

I heard about the oatmeal but never tryed it. Mostly I'm not around a bath or cortizone shots for that matter.

Man I hate Posion Ivy, do your self a favor and get the shots it you can.

9. mj1015

mj1015

Chiggers ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRH

Right up there with Posion Ivy. My skin is starting to crawl.

10. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

11. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

I don't know how to make it go away, but I know how to stop it from driving me crazy for +/- 6 hours at a time. Take a shower and scald the itching areas with the hottest water you can stand for a few minutes (this is after you have washed it with cold water the first time per the above instructions). Unlike some of the other suggestions, this will not cost you anything to try and will not lead to stray animals sniffing out the foodstuffs on your body. Give it a try. If it doesn't work, report back as I have not heard of this not working yet.

HOT water!

C.

12. Grease Cruiser

Grease Cruiser

The best method for poison ivy

Growing up in Oklahoma, I used to get poison ivy several times a summer. I have tried all the remedies you guys have suggested but the best method I kow is: Clorox Bleach.

I know it may sound bad but a few doctors actually told me that it is a good remedy. Run some bath water and put about a cup into the tub. The water should be as cold as you can stand it. Or if you have access to a swimming pool, the chlorine in the water does the same thing. Soak for awhile. the itching is gone almost immediately and the rash is gone within a few hours.

Trust me, it works!

13. mloudy

mloudy

Did you ever go the route of putting finger nail polish over the bite, you know to sufficate them? It was not a true bite after all but they were just taking temporary residence in your flesh. It was nice when mom would paint that crap on after digging the bites raw. Not only that but exposing yourself while she did it. So after years of abuse I thought this couldn't be true even though every mom I talked to did the same thing. Last year I searched the net and found it all to be a lie. Chiggers are the larval form of the red spider mite or harvest mite. They bite you and are gone-they do not live in your flesh.

That's a web pic of the bites. It said it was an ankle but I question that.

14. mj1015

mj1015

No I never tried the polish. I tried Chig Away but that was so so. Mostly just carry around a little dabber tube of benadryl (maybe) I have some in my locker, have to look. I did 2 tours with the 82nd Airborne in North Carolina and the little creeps would dig in around the top of your socks. First time I got them I didnt know what they were and the iching drove me crazy. Now I know what they are and they still drive me crazy. Good thing about Afghanistan is there are no chiggers or poison ivy that I can see. Its got that going for it. Now if I could get rid of these little s*** flys that bite, life would be a dream.

15. mloudy

mloudy

No no! Don't be fooled by the finger nail polish trick. The theory is all messed up. It does work in the fact that they stop itching but that is just until the burning stops.

16. zetasig

zetasig

I seem to get the Ivy every year, got a few spots right now from mowing the lawn. (4 Acres) The ONLY thing I have found to work without getting a steroid script. is called Zanfel. it is 20 bucks an ounce!! Yes 20 bucks for one small tube. Oh my god does it work though. put a little bit on your hands and then rub the crap out of the areas that are itchy, rinse off, it takes away the itch instantly for about 2 hours or so. Unless you become septic. Meaning the ivy oil has entered your blood stream. it will clear itself up in around 8-10 days. Steroids just help it along quicker.

17. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

I've fpound that washing with fels naphtha soap (big yellow bar) can help dry out the rash. I'm getting itchy just reading this fawking thread! I am so senstive to that stuff.

Somebosy already said the oils can last in closthing. No joke. I did a bunch of plant rempval wearing a chamois shirt and gloves tapped at eh cuffs etc etc...I didn't get any rash which was like cause for a celebration for me.....a month later I put the same shirt (hadn't been washed, was hanging in the shed) on over a t shirt and within minutes my whole back and shoulders were affected. IH8poisonivy!

18. JACKAL FJ45

JACKAL FJ45

I was just in New York and got some myself. Its all gone now because of this great stuff my girlfriend got me. Its called:

Technu gel and Technu soap something.
    Got in at Wal Mart

Took care of it in a week.

19. patpend2000

patpend2000

wipe down any areas you have poison ivy/oak with rubbing alcholol (*main ingredient of technu) then spray some hairspray over them. The hairspray will keep them from seaping and your clothes sticking to them.

20. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Just drinka bottle of tequilla. Its kills everything.