Points questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me :-( My 'Cruiser hasn't run since 1999. Just now starting to really work on reassembly following a frame off. Took the points out just a few weeks ago to put new ones in, and I can't recall where the clip "A" went??? I don't recall ever removing it for a tune up (was my daily driver from 1990 until 1999). I though it went on "B" but there is no groove or anything to hold it.

Also, not 100% sure where the washers from the new points go ("E, H and G"). I figure "F" is the new screw to hold the points (would go into "D"). Would "E" and "H" go on that screw? What about "G"?

Also, what is the brass knob labeled "?" ????? It rotates freely to expose/close the hole that can be seen in the pic. I don't EVER remember that or doing anything with it?

1978 FJ40, 1979 motor (original was stolen :(). Running the old/non-USA(?) distributor. Had Weber carb on it, but now going back to an Asin Non-USA carb. This is the dizzy I had on it for years, but the memory of all those tune ups is fading....
WP_20150626_003_zpszqbz7g4z.jpg
WP_20150626_002_zpsmzcoxk0t.jpg
WP_20150626_004_zpslbrcp7oj.jpg

Oh, and part "C" seems to be a screw to adjust the point gap. That is just a little piece that is just sitting between the points and the breaker plate. Seems like that would be REAL easy to knock loose changing points, and I don't recall that. Want to make sure I'm not missing something to secure that to the breaker plate?

Hmm, can't seem to edit. It looks like "A" goes in the small slot at the top of " B". It was stretched out to the point that I thought if fit on the bottom, fatter part of "B". So I think I have that figured out!

Actually I think I figured it out (feel dumb now) except the "?" part.

Also, I recall (and manual indicates) placing the blade of a flat screwdriver in the slot (point to with small screwdriver in this pic) and using the to adjust/open points. There is nothing to lever the other part of the screwdriver blade against! Am I missing a part?
WP_20150626_005_zps07hsyiid.jpg

Loosen the screw. put a matchbook cover in between the point contacts. Move the bottom point plate CCW to allow the cover to go in (keep the point arm against the dizzy shaft). tighten the screw. You should be real close.

Loosen the screw. put a matchbook cover in between the point contacts. Move the bottom point plate CCW to allow the cover to go in (keep the point arm against the dizzy shaft). tighten the screw. You should be real close.
MATCHBOOK, do they still make those ?? I know in the 60's we did that but now I never see them. Keep some tools and a feeler gauge for .012 Thou.

Smaller screwdriver, turned clockwise in that slot will open your points. Bump the engine till you are absolutely certain the rubbing block is on the high side on one of the cam lobes, then measure the gap.

Hmm, can't seem to edit. It looks like "A" goes in the small slot at the top of " B". It was stretched out to the point that I thought if fit on the bottom, fatter part of "B". So I think I have that figured out!

Actually I think I figured it out (feel dumb now) except the "?" part.

Also, I recall (and manual indicates) placing the blade of a flat screwdriver in the slot (point to with small screwdriver in this pic) and using the to adjust/open points. There is nothing to lever the other part of the screwdriver blade against! Am I missing a part?
WP_20150626_005_zps07hsyiid.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom