Point me towards suspension stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My bone stock 80 (91’) needs a little help in the ride quality department. I’m pretty sure it’s the original suspension and I’m not sure what to even look for. Do I replace shocks and spring or just the shocks?

My bone stock 80 (91’) needs a little help in the ride quality department. I’m pretty sure it’s the original suspension and I’m not sure what to even look for. Do I replace shocks and spring or just the shocks?

It all depends on the long range plans for the rig. Light to moderate wheeling would likely be a bit more fun with a small lift and a little bigger tires. Harder wheeling is easier with more lift and bigger tires. Spend some time browsing thru this forum and look at various builds and how they are wheeled. You don't have to run the Biggest and Baddest rig to go a lot of places, but the bigger, the easier.

Try shocks and if you’re not satisfied move on to springs.

If you still think it lacks, you’re probably due for some bushings.

Stock go to your local dealer and pick up some stock shocks. They are very reasonably priced and sure to be a big improvement over ~30 year old shocks.
I gave my dealership a call and said they had a set for the front but the rears are on back order nation wide. Is there any brand comparable to OEM that you would recommend? BTW the cruiser is my daily driver/work truck for mainly farm work, so I wouldn’t minda little extra ground clearance lol.

"Needing help in the ride department" is incredibly vague. What's it need help with? Do you want it to be smoother? Stiffer? Lower? Higher? What does it do or not do that you want to change? If ground clearance is what you're after, throw a set of spacers at it. Otherwise, just about any lift spring is going to have a higher spring rate and will make the ride a little stiffer/more bouncy. Unless you want that.

There are plenty of quality aftermarket options other than OEM if you want to keep it as unmodified as possible; look on Rock Auto. There's also a suspension thread sticky at the top of this forum that you scroll past every time you come here.

Get an OME 2" lift with medium springs, install Duratrac 285/75-16 tires and you'll be good to go on the farm.

Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. @cruiseroutfit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom