Pocket PC for OBDII and GPS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm toying with an idea and wondering if anyone's done it in their rig. Did lots of searching on external temp guages (for monitoring coolant temp) and OBDII scanners. I'm thinking of combining this with a GPS system and using a Pocket PC for both to have access to real-time coolant temps and GPS when needed (not to mention all the other OBDII fetaures). I figure its a few cables (bluetooth maybe?), but would give lots of info through one interface. I have a pharos GPS receiver that I use on my laptop, but haven't bought a Pocket PC yet. Thoughts?

The latest issue of Off Road Adventures (4Wheel Parts Wholesaler's rag, I mean mag) advertises a system from Banks for their SixGun diesel kit that uses the "PowerPDA" to monitor EGT, boost, engine temp, and speed on a Palm Pilot. I don't know how the interface hooks up to the engine, but it's probably hooked in through the Banks module somehow.

This would be a cool mod for the cruiser. Much cleaner and tech-cool than a bunch of analog guages.

I don't know about the OBD-II attachment, but as far as a Pocket PC and gps I can speak to that. I have the iPAQ 5500 with built in wifi and bluetooth and I also have the belkin bluetooth gps receiver (which I recommend highly and haven't had a problem) I paid about $150 for the gps being a smart internet shopper.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_Bluetooth_GPS_compact_receiver/4505-3490_7-30713236.html
In the dash picture you can see the bluetooth unit sitting up on top of the dash, but that is for display only, I don't keep it there since it slides around. The mount is made by Garmin and is a universal pda mount.
This is my backup gps unit as I also have a Garmin Street Pilot II that uses the same mount, but hopefully that gives you some ideas.
-Gary
Garmin pda mount (4) (Medium).JPG
PICT0008 (Medium).JPG

Cool. On the OBDII side, my truck is a 12/94 production date, can anyone verify that with the OBDII plug in the fuse box that this "OBDII compliant enough" to justify dropping $100 bucks or so on a scanner interface?

I have researched this. gamin do a handheld unit that has gps and maps in it but it is $650! ALSO the only cabel links (from OBDII to PC) I have found use SERIAL cables. Has anyone found a USB unit or cables. What cabeling do you use gbell210?

This is what I've been planning:

Toshiba E740 from ebay - ~$100

Already have GPS antenna, but need a USB adapter - ~$25 for toshiba Pocket PC expansion kit from ebay to allow USB interface

Pharos Ostia GPS software for Pocket PC from ebay - ~$50

Serial cable for OBDII connectivity to PDA (+12v power for PDA) - ~$60
serial cable adapter for e740

OBD-II interface (T16-003) from fuse panel to serial cable adapter - ~$90
link to OBD-II cable

And some OBD-II sw for the Pocket PC to monitor and record sensors, including temp-~$free
link to pocket PC sw

So abouit $325 would get me a pocket PC, GPS, + real time temp monitoring, plus some limited OBD-II scanning capabilities.

re_guderian said:
Cool. On the OBDII side, my truck is a 12/94 production date, can anyone verify that with the OBDII plug in the fuse box that this "OBDII compliant enough" to justify dropping $100 bucks or so on a scanner interface?

Man, that is a tough one with your production date.

I just found this to help you determine your direction.
HERE

It appears that the connector doesn't always mean you are compliant
in the switch years.

HTH

MH_Stevens said:
I have researched this. gamin do a handheld unit that has gps and maps in it but it is $650! ALSO the only cabel links (from OBDII to PC) I have found use SERIAL cables. Has anyone found a USB unit or cables. What cabeling do you use gbell210?

The only cable I use is power and external speakers. I don't have OBD-II on my 94, so I have never looked into attaching serial cables to my pda.

So the only thing I would plug the PDA into is either the cigarette lighter or my computer to sync or charge it. And for that I use a Belkin cable that can do both. It plugs into the specific PDA and the other end of the cable has a USB plug. That USB plug end can either attach to a computer, or this
USB-to-cigarette lighter adapter to only charge the unit.

re_guderian said:
I'm toying with an idea and wondering if anyone's done it in their rig.

Rob,
I'm part way there. I have a BT phone that is also a Palm PDA (Trēo 650) and a new Holux GPSlim 236 SirfIII BT GPS receiver. If you haven't selected your GPS receiver then be sure to find one with the SirfIII chipset. They are far superior to the prior GPS receivers. I rigged up an external GPS antenna and the receiver goes in the glove box with a 12v power adapter. It will run on batteries but the 12v adapter is better for long trips. I'm using Mapopolis on the Trēo 650 for nav but I haven't decided on an off-road app/map combo.

If you go the PPC (yuck) route you can use OziExplorer. I have OE for my laptop and it works well though I haven't used it in a couple of years.

I have a Palm based app from Harrison R&D that reads OBD-II via an RS232 serial adapter. It is a full Scan tool with real-time data collection and logging. It works great with my old Palm Vx. The newer Palm units no longer have a serial option but there is a $60 cable that will convert from serial to the Trēo's input port. I plan to get this converter RSN so that I can use my OBD-II scan tool with the new phone/PDA.

I've also seen some RS232 serial to USB adapters but you have to be VERY careful in selecting one that will work with your HW and SW.

Let me know if you find some type of adapter/converter that would send OBD-II information via BT. I don't think the technology is there yet; least not for retrofitting to older vehicles.

-B-

re_guderian said:

Mine has the connector in the same location and it works, but it has a 6/95 build date. Some auto parts stores (Autozones in this area) have scanners and will pull codes for you. Maybe you could get one to plug in their scanner in and see if it will connect.

Bob

Lockd97 said:
I just found this to help you determine your direction.
HERE

The connector has the VPW pinout, pins 2, 4, 5 and 16, so I'm thinking it's probably good. There are no plates in the engine compartment.

Let me know if you find some type of adapter/converter that would send OBD-II information via BT. I don't think the technology is there yet; least not for retrofitting to older vehicles.
There are a couple of BT interfaces out there, but quite spendy at > $200. :doh: To much for my cheap tastes. I have other projects to spend that on :) Vital Engineering is one source.

Mine has the connector in the same location and it works, but it has a 6/95 build date. Some auto parts stores (Autozones in this area) have scanners and will pull codes for you. Maybe you could get one to plug in their scanner in and see if it will connect.

Good idea, I'll try that first before dropping the $ on the cables and PDA.

The BT transmitter from Vital Engineering is > $355 at current exchange rates.

-B-

Beowulf said:
The BT transmitter from Vital Engineering is > $355 at current exchange rates.

-B-

Autoenginuity has one for ~$130. No experience with either one, though.

link to BT OBD-II

re_guderian said:
Autoenginuity has one for ~$130. No experience with either one, though.

link to BT OBD-II

AirCable makes that one. $69 + $5 for the power cord. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a different power source with the right voltage.
AirCable store

Lockd97 said:
AirCable makes that one. $69 + $5 for the power cord. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a different power source with the right voltage.
AirCable store

You'd think you could power it from the OBD-II plug, since according to the link above, pin 16 is battery power. Don't know voltages, but would be easy to check with a multimeter. It would suck to have Bluetooth, and then have to run a power cable for it... :frown:

re_guderian said:
You'd think you could power it from the OBD-II plug, since according to the link above, pin 16 is battery power. Don't know voltages, but would be easy to check with a multimeter. It would suck to have Bluetooth, and then have to run a power cable for it... :frown:

I agree on the power cable. Check this out "Power supply 5-15 V for serial module with wall adapter or through pin 9" just copied this from the tech specs.
Connect pin 16 to pin 9 and you have power! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom