PO401 and EGR/air intake manifold with pictures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rest of putting things back together is pretty straight forward. I replaced all the small vacuum lines with new from Cdan. Make sure you use new gaskets and don't forget to connect the electical connections and vacuum lines as you go along. They can be hard to get to later. Don't foget to tighten and of the loosened bolts like on the oil and transmission dip sticks either.

So far after this slightly overkill way of taking care of a P0401 with replacement of the VSV, EGR vacuum modulator, EGR valve, vacuum lines with a throttle body/upper intake manifold cleaning, the code hasn't come back.

I don't know about fuel mileage yet with the cleaned injectors, but the engine does run smoother. The slight pinging I experienced with slow accleration in 1st gear is gone.

I still have some adjusting to do on the throttle cable as well. This has been a fun way to get to a little more understanding of this vehicle that I hope to keep for life:D. Thanks for the help everyone.
EGR 33.jpg
EGR 34.jpg
EGR 35.jpg

Thanks for the write-up and photos.

cahill.....great thread wrap up.

One thing you should consider after going through all this work to clean and refresh your intake, etc., install a air/oil separator. It will help to keep you system cleaner for years to come.

Just my $0.02

FAQ material Mods?

x2 on the PCV catch can. The $20 Lowes DIY is actually a good filter design (just issues with longevity). You'll be amazed at the amount of thick (like 90w) sludge that you stop from your now clean intake!

cahill.....great thread wrap up.

One thing you should consider after going through all this work to clean and refresh your intake, etc., install a air/oil separator. It will help to keep you system cleaner for years to come.

Just my $0.02

FAQ material Mods?

x2 on the PCV catch can. The $20 Lowes DIY is actually a good filter design (just issues with longevity). You'll be amazed at the amount of thick (like 90w) sludge that you stop from your now clean intake!

I've been thinking about it and wanting to get it done. I may just have to go that route until I get a real one. I definitely don't want the oil to foul up the new electrical components or block up those passages again.

Subscribed, going to do all this with the head gasket when I get time. Great write up!

Subscribed!

Great write-up and pics, and excellent idea to include links to previous threads!

Thank you!

where did you send your injectors off to have them cleaned?

where did you send your injectors off to have them cleaned?

I drove them down to RC engineering for same day turn around. They offer a mail back service if you can wait for the mail. They did a great job and were easy to work with.

Thanks for the write up. I will be attempting this job during the summer as well. This will definitely help.

I cleared my P0401 code and passed emissions. :bounce:

Removed the throttle body (very easy and reused the original gasket) and found the EGR port was completely plugged near the TB. Cleaned that out with a screwdriver then a shotgun cleaning brush. The tiny vacuum port that runs through the plenum was also plugged. I used a piece of MIG wire to clear it. Also sucked about 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil through a port on the intake plenum, let that sit for 15 mins, then drove the snot out of it. smoking bad the whole way. (I realize the snake oil may cause O2 failures, but did it anyway at the advice of some buddies)

Code is gone and it idles a little better.

Edit #1 P0401 came back 2 days later. :crybaby:

Next is is to check the VSV.

Edit #2 Replaced VSV with autozone part number 911-850 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...?itemIdentifier=970781&CJPID=4022106&cmpid=cj

Also bypassed the intake plenum vacuum by running a vacuum hose to the modulator. P0401 was silenced for 5 days, but now it's back :(

Edit #3 replaced the vacuum modulator valve on top of the engine. Now I'm getting a p0402 (excessive flow). :(

I need to read up more. Thinking about replacing the vacuum hoses...

Last edited:
Hi, New owner of a 80 cruiser (125,000 on it) and was wondering where you can get the air/oil separator you speak of...does it go on the pcv hose as it leaves the valve cover going to the air plenum. the ghost of p0401 haunts me as well..... one would thing the toyota engineers would have guessed that sending oily gas into the engine would have it's downside. ????

Hi, New owner of a 80 cruiser (125,000 on it) and was wondering where you can get the air/oil separator you speak of...does it go on the pcv hose as it leaves the valve cover going to the air plenum. the ghost of p0401 haunts me as well..... one would thing the toyota engineers would have guessed that sending oily gas into the engine would have it's downside. ????

Check out this thread for the separator goodies :

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/449629-installed-oil-seperator-my-80-a.html

I think you got too much time on your hands. LOL

Actually - great write up and pictures. I won't be doing it anytime soon, but I'm sure there are those that will.

Two weeks ago I spent a few days (off and on) doing almost this exact scope of work. EGR code hasn't reappeared, and I'm hoping for a successful inspection in October. :)

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
You are a better mechanic than you give yourself credit for.
I have seen pros mess up much easier jobs than this.

Joe w.

Great thread, currently doing this on a friends 80 at 254k miles. Definitely needed the attention you gave yours. Completely plugged.

blackplug.jpg

Nice job to the OP. I think this thread is FAQ worthy.

Just a side note - install a air/oil separator in the PCV line ASAP. After all that work, even a cheap Home Depot separator is better than nothing. Secondly, think about stopping the EGR gasses from coming into the intake also. Just do the resistor mod and stop the vacuum from reaching the EGR modulator.

PCV alone is not the major contributor to the intake crud. The EGR does a nice job of cooking everything nice and hard everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom