PO cut off factory stereo connectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a '97 went to replace the stereo and unfortunately found the PO or their stereo installer was a complete moron and cut off the factory stereo plugs and hardwired the stereo to the factory wires rather than use a $10 connector like every sane person would do to make future stereo replacements not a nightmare. I've got 2 choices:

1) fabricate a new connector to make all future stereo swaps easy. This is the more elegant solution as it's permanently fixing the rats nest of loose wires back there and making all future stereo changes easy.

2) hardwire this stereo in place as well. I know this would be far easier in the short term, but I hate it as a real solution, especially as my plan was to install a bare bones stereo for now and possibly come back later to install a more feature driven stereo if I end up deciding to keep this car long term.

Does anyone know where to source the pins and I guess you'd call it the male connectors for the factory wire harness? I found a photo on the internet that I'm sure must have been used to demonstrate the Metra wiring harness the PO should have used, so what I'm trying to fabricate would the gray connectors on the right side of the connection that combine all the vehicle side wiring. I was too mad when I figured out what they did so didn't notice if they cut off both gray plugs or just the larger one, so I'm assuming they cut off both. I know the Metra harness is common to all Toyotas I think from like 1987 and up (going from memory), so it's not LC specific. I'd also need an EWD so I can figure out the layout for the new connectors I would have to create.

1666881577312.png

Which connector was cut? Behind the head unit or behind the glove box? My wires were a mess behind the head unit, but tied in (with an adapter plug) with no issues behind the glove box.

Al the information you need is contained in these documents.

Attachments

• Wire Harness Repair.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 61
one of my PO did the same. Didn't bother me, easy to connect once snipping off the wires upstream of the soldered connections. The colors for speakers and power are nearly universal so even a rookie could figure it out.

The factory connections are fairly useless as you will not be tapping into the factory amp and sub. I tried that once with a Previa and it wasn't worth ever doing again.

Buy 1x metra 71-1761 and 1x metra 70-1761
These are the two connectors that were cut, in male and female (4 connectors total.) follow the ewd to solder the harness wires back into the pigtail for their respective connector location.

Buy 1x metra 71-1761 and 1x metra 70-1761
These are the two connectors that were cut, in male and female (4 connectors total.) follow the ewd to solder the harness wires back into the pigtail for their respective connector location.
Thanks! That metra 71-1761, the vehicle side harness, is exactly what I was looking for. I've already got the other one, the radio side connector.

I'll go this route since it will leave a "universal" connector that will allow easy head unit changes down the road. And maybe the next owner of this car won't be cursing my name like I am the PO. I don't understand why anyone would possibly go the route of cutting off the factory connector. The only conceivable advantage is saving $6 by avoiding the Metra harness, but it makes that and all future stereo changes more difficult.

Thanks! That metra 71-1761, the vehicle side harness, is exactly what I was looking for. I've already got the other one, the radio side connector.

I'll go this route since it will leave a "universal" connector that will allow easy head unit changes down the road. And maybe the next owner of this car won't be cursing my name like I am the PO. I don't understand why anyone would possibly go the route of cutting off the factory connector. The only conceivable advantage is saving $6 by avoiding the Metra harness, but it makes that and all future stereo changes more difficult.
I did exactly what @Njck22 did. Not only does it restore the harness to original, but it also provides more wire length which makes installation so much easier. Glad you got this advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom