PNW New Mud Member, Just Snagged 1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking hard for about six months for an FJ60-62 I could afford, was beginning to despair. Man, the market is hot in the Pacific NorthWest for these rascals. I came across one on Craigslist that didn't even make sense it was priced so low, but called anyhow. The seller picked up when I called (second piece of luck), and told me if I'm there tomorrow morning with the cash, it's mine. Scam, maybe... Well, I can just hang onto my cash after driving for an hour and a half to look at it.

So I get there next morning and there it is in all its key-laced glory. Seller didn't mention the pretty extensive key-lacing, and not a 5sp. as advertized. But no body rust, some heavy surface undercarriage rust, not bad at all. Seller keeps swearing the brown leather interior and sunroof are as ordered by the Origional Owner (his father-in-law) from the factory. Still not positive on that but sure looks factory. Leather looks decent, sunroof works and doesn't even leak. Been partially de-smogged but I'm in Washington state, so no problem. Besides, it's been here all its life. Lotta mileage (285k). The one key that came with it doesn't work in any of the gas/door locks, and only occasionally in the ignition lock. The Seller fired it up from cold (didn't tell me about the only occasionally-working ign. switch), sounds pretty good for the tired old girl. Didn't drive it 'cuz the seats were just loose inside. Seller was going to do a 'refurb' on it with his son, but the kid was into new Mustangs. Pretty big miscalc on Dad's part ;-}.

But I'm in love, no turning back now. I pay him the cash and get it towed back home. ToyotaMatt helped me with a key set for it (removed the passenger lock cylinder and polished up the code). The keys should be here today so I might actually get to start it, whoohooo. The kicker is the Seller showed me the list of people calling his cellphone on it--he flipped the call history page 8-10 times showing me! Calls from Hawaii, Europe, Alaska, all over the place. Man, hot market.

00Q0Q_illv4sHJk8hz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_kCnAChuRMDMz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_7rDNnKR3olTz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_5fpM4ajIo7bz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Congrat's on your new Cruiser. The 60 series is a hot commodity now. I didn't know they were sold with sunroof and leather in the U.S. What was his advertised price to bring so much attention? Must have been low.

Thanks. I'm not sure either about the factory sunroof & leather interior. I took a picture of the codes on the engine bay data plate, but only know H42 is a 4sp.

Advertized price was $9,200.00.

My Engine Bay VIN Tag.jpg

I'm told no VIN on there is not unusual, but it was choking me a bit when I bought it.

Thanks. I'm not sure either about the factory sunroof & leather interior. I took a picture of the codes on the engine bay data plate, but only know H42 is a 4sp.

Advertized price was $9,200.00.

View attachment 2596335
Not a bad price considering the key striping and mileage. Gone are the days of picking them up for under $5k. The 60 series are officially in the collector phase now. Most are going for well over $20k and are beating the 80 and 100 series in price these days.

Yeh, it has a lot of needs, but I could afford it. The bones appear good, and if that interior and sunroof are factory then I'm Cruisin' ;-}.

Looks really cool. That interior is one I’ve never seen before. Wow. And it looks to be in great shape also. Nice buy. I watched one with less mileage and similar condition go for for almost $30k on BaT just this afternoon.

Nice. Get that damage multiplier grille "guard" off of there before a parking lot fender bender takes out the fenders, hood, grille and valance.
Didn't know about that--thanks. Don't like that look anyhow

Looks really cool. That interior is one I’ve never seen before. Wow. And it looks to be in great shape also. Nice buy. I watched one with less mileage and similar condition go for for almost $30k on BaT just this afternoon.
I'm keepin' my fingers crossed. The PO told me there were only a hundred or so made that way according to his father-in-law (who origionally ordered it).

Yeh, BaT is shoving a lot of them out the door lately....

Sorry if that came off snarky, didn't mean it that way. Those things really will mess up your truck. They just fold up and trash everything.

Just a stock OEM bumper is better unless you need to mount a winch. In which case ARB and the several other winch bumper brands that are still available are the way to go. Jason @ Trail Tailor makes nice bumpers, 4x4 labs etc.

No, I didn't think you were being snarky--took it as good advice. I don't like the look anyhow. Thanks for the bumper tips.

The more I see the prices these a going for, I feel like I got a really good deal on my 86 that I bought in September 2020 for 6k (and I drove it home)

Congrats!

If you pull the passenger door card, you can access the door lock. The key code will be on the lock (hopefully they all match) Should be able to get a key cut from the dealer locally for that code.

If your in/around Seattle area. Check out the Seattle Cruiserheads meet ups are the second Tuesday of the month. 60 crowd is pretty deep and always looking for more to drink the Kool Aid.

-Dave

Last edited:
+1 on @dnp carpets. Simply the best available at the price these days. Just installed some myself and the difference is night and day. Chance to sound proof as well

Super cool rig! Sounds like a good deal too 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom