PM Best Practices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is plenty of info on baseline PM advice, and change intervals for fluids etc.

What about recommended replace mileage intervals for:
Belts
Radiator hoses
thermostat
spark plugs
fuel filter
dizzy cap & rotor
radiator cap

thanks

Some of these are in the manual (e.g., spark plugs), and some of this depends on climate, usage, and how any miles you drive a year (age vs. mileage related wear), but here's what I've done and consider reasonable for my climate/usage:

Belts- 60k
Radiator hoses- 100k
thermostat- 30k
spark plugs- 30k
fuel filter- 100k
dizzy cap & rotor- 30k/inspect
radiator cap- 100k
plug wires- 100k

when they stop working.

Not trying to get kinky here...:ban:
But rubber items really vary in how often they require replacement where mileage is relatively limited or variable factors such as age, ozone, heat, exposure to oil as a contaminant, etc occurs.

Visual inspection isn't always reliable. However, if it looks bad, it probably is. Cracks, oxidation (hazy white look), oil-soaked, stiffness are all symptoms of these parts being near or at the end of their useful life.

Belts must look good -- or it's time to change them and possibly solve the issue that is causing abnormal wear.

Generally it's good practice to replace items of this sort when you have a subassembly apart if it's something critical like a belt or a radiator hose. You take your chances with the other stuff based on your eye, your experience, and your luck.

Some good advice above. I think another variable is the parts you purchase. If they're Toyota parts then they will definitely last longer all else equal. If you're asking about an AutoZone distributor cap, plug wires you got at a Carquest when the truck started acting up during a trip, etc then it's a tough question to answer.

In addition, a lot of the parts that would be considered replaceable or consumable parts have a life that hinges on how well you maintain other aspects of the vehicle. For instance, coolant hoses. If you don't change the coolant properly then the coolant becomes acidic and attacks the rubber. Or if you don't check and adjust belt tension as they wear and age a bit then they'll degrade faster with the slippage a looser belt experiences.

If you keep in constant touch with your Cruiser, then you end up getting much longer life out of components. For instance, brake pads. Many people change them out without wearing them out because a mechanic walks up to the waiting area with one of your pads while he's rotating the tires and says "Look how thin they are - you should change them since we're taking the wheels off now" and people buy into it. If you rotate the tires yourself and see they're getting thin, you'll make a note to yourself to purchase some brake pads for when you rotate the tires 6 months from now and do it then. So this pays big dividends.

DougM

There is plenty of info on baseline PM advice, and change intervals for fluids etc.

What about recommended replace mileage intervals for:
Belts
Radiator hoses
thermostat
spark plugs
fuel filter
dizzy cap & rotor
radiator cap

thanks

ALL great advice here! As you mentioned in your question, there is already great advice on what PM to do as "baseline work" with a new "used" Land Cruiser in your life.

As a general rule, all the items you have mentioned above are typical item on the baseline PM list. Once you know when parts were replaced, you can start to feel out when they need to be replaced based on wear and tear to the truck on a year-in, year-out basis. I like Alaskacruiser's timeframe guidelines a lot, though I think many of us are far less scientific about repalcement timeframe.

As also stated, always best to use OEM and make sure when you are inspecting one system that you replace all worn parts on that system so they won't malfunction/wear out other parts of the truck.

Thanks, I've been here since 06. ;) I've asked plenty of questions and done my share of research. So yes, all OEM parts etc. have gone into my Baseline PM back when I did it. I was wondering about ongoing maintenance interval times as replacing some of these parts a second time around.

I like Alaskacruiser's table. thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom