Plunger stroke on 1HZ after ACSD removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I've made a lot of research without sucess and I hope someone here will be able to finally answer this question

I'm planning to remove the ACSD on my IP but I need to know what will be the plunger stroke value to set the timing after this work. i've heard that the timing needs to be readjusted after.

Concerning the timing specifications about plunger stroke for a 1HZ pump I must admit that i'm a little bit confused. The specs are not the same in all SDS (SERVICE DATA SHEET). Here are the numbers mentioned

before 1995

1.03-1.09 mm

between 1995 and 1998

0.75-0.81 mm for Europe

1.03-1.09 mm Others

1999 and after

0.65-0.71 with ACSD

0.85-0.91 mm without ACSD

Can someone telle me why so much difference for the same engine and what is the right information?

Others with more pump knowledge than I may speak up but pretty sure it's because the injector pumps are different for those years given.

At one point Toyota switched the plunger on the 1HZ from 10mm to 11mm but can't remember the year they did that.

I think the differences are due to emissions, European models have a few other differences regarding pump settings , which is also why the ASCD is fitted in the 1st place.
Im guessing you need to apply the settings to the part number on the pump. Do you know where your pump came from?

It is installed on a late 1998 1HZ from Switzerland. The Denso Toyota part number is 22100-1C180. There are others markings on the pump: C18 in bold, 196000 26307 and 10T 00053 9

It is confusing. I would leave the ACSD on the pump and set it to the euro specs for that. ACSD make a bit of noise before they pack up.
Or remove it and see if it runs ok without touching it.
The part number says its a 99 model.

Where where you able to see the pump is from 1999?
So I would have to set it between 0.65 and 0.71mm.
I've received the SST some day ago and I've checked the actual setting today and it seems to be between 1.15 and 1.17mm

I googled the pump part number and it led me to toydiy which said it was off a 99 euro spec engine. 1999 is the year I thought most of the world got the revised 1HZ in the 79/78 series(and I guess the 105 series as well) with Australia getting it the year before.

As I said in the previous thread
Remove the acsd, set it to 1.09mm
Call it a day.
It sounds more like a diesel at that point.

The Device does'nt seems to be noisy yet. So maybe i'm better leaving it there after all. FerealBoreal you're talking about the max setting specified for pre 1999 models without ACSD. Mine would be more between 0.65 and 0.71 if I look at the SDS.

Do whatever you want.
My truck was right out of spec when I removed my ACSD (which I recommend).
Regardless if you mess up and don't catch it if it goes south and you find metal filings in your pump, its too late its fxxxed...
I didn't know yours was a post 99. Remove the ACSD and set it to the 0.91mm.

Since the timing is made with the ACSD desabled (metal shim between thermowax and lever) Do you know why there are still differences on the plunger stroke spec? Maybe there are still internal differences even if the device is removed

I got a 1996 1HZ engine, european (german) spec. I set it to 1.09mm, runs fine. To set the pump timing I put a metal part on the ACSD to DISABLE it. When the engine is warm, the ACSD will be OFF, means, it will have the timing that you set the pump at. That's why it's important to adjust the pump timing with the ACSD DISABLED! That was 1.09 on mine.

Interesting but can you explain me why there are still 2 plunger stroke specifications, one with and another without ACSD, since it is supposed to be disabled anyway when making the adjustment

a very good question! But not sure where you got your info from...
I have the RM172E 1HZ Manual and there is only ONE value written. It's written to disable the ACSD and for 1HZ set it to 1.03-1.09. Better to set it to 1.09mm I was told.
1HD-T and 1PZ are also in this manual, they also have other values.

By the way, I once forgot to disable the ACSD and drove around. When cold it was ok, as the engine warmed up it started to smoke white and having a rough idle. Then I remembered that I forgot the ACSD and did readjust the pump. I saw that I was around 0.7-0.9mm (can't remember exactly). But just to say, it was injecting too late and it was running very bad and not burning the Diesel right.

Again, this is a 1996 european 1HZ engine on a 1993 HZJ75 with ACSD. Starts even at -5Celcius on first crank! Got soon 300'000km and Turbo about 100'000km.

a very good question! But not sure where you got your info from...
I have the RM172E 1HZ Manual and there is only ONE value written. It's written to disable the ACSD and for 1HZ set it to 1.03-1.09. Better to set it to 1.09mm I was told.
1HD-T and 1PZ are also in this manual, they also have other values.

The RM172E is from 1990 and it's true that it only mention 1.03-1.09mm for timing but I have the 1998 RM617E that is now talking about
0.65-0.71mm with ACSD and 0.85-0.91mm without. I also have many Service data sheets (SDT) that indicates that
before 1995

1.03-1.09 mm

between 1995 and 1998

0.75-0.81 mm for Europe

1.03-1.09 mm Others

1999 and after

0.65-0.71 with ACSD

0.85-0.91 mm without ACSD^

As an example look at this for your model year 1996

Attachments

• land_cruiser_70_diesel.pdf
    121 KB · Views: 205
I understant but I was also wondering if it would be the same with the ACSD removed since there are two different spec for each year

the most advance one won't kill your truck.
The more retarded is for emissions, less smoke less power.
the more advanced would be less environmentally conscious.
Its not like your clubbing baby seals or shooting fawns, your not going to be rolling coal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom