Plug for ARB/Engel/Norcold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
I am assuming the ARB, Norcold, and Engel units all use the same connection for the 12V DC and 120 VAC connections...

What I am looking for is a spare set of the connectors (the male side that plugs into the unit). I want to hard-wire my trail trailer for the cooler (with both 120VAC & 12VDC) but I don't want to hack my new plugs in case I choose to use them at home, in another rig, etc.

Any thoughts?

PS, the ARB fridge is SEXY! Can't wait for the cover & transit lock to show up (ordered over a week ago, and they just shipped it at compactappliance FYI)

I will grab some pics :D

Here are the plugs I need...

Any ideas?
ARB Cooler 003.jpg
ARB Cooler 004.jpg
ARB Cooler 001.jpg

Oh and this is a commercial plug too... these coolers are super high-quality

[/endpimp] ;) :D

Now, back the the plug (electrical connector)

FZJFillmore said:
The AC one looks like a computer cord connector.

Good eye, I could swear I had seen it before, I will climb around tonight and try and match it up... The DC is the one I am most worried about as my trailer will be running off the Optima shown... The instruction manual included with the unit instructed using a hard-line to the battery, so I guess they suggest cutting the cord? There was no info on getting a spare. I may have to call Engel, I guess they have a facility in Florida (as per compactappliance.com)

Kurt if you figure out a spare DC plug, please share the info. I wouldnt mind making up and extra.

Cruiserdrew said:
Kurt if you figure out a spare DC plug, please share the info. I wouldnt mind making up and extra.

Will do! :D

Not a bad idea Kurt.

I cut the supplied cord and replaced the cig plug. The ARB cord is really thick and heavy. I replaced the last foot of it with a lighter and more flexible cord. Also found a tighter fitting cig plug. It ended an annoying problem of the plug working it's way out of the socket.

By the way I've also seen a couple instances where the built in fuse in the ARB cig plug would cause a short circuit. Open it up and look at the metal strips and contacts, its a very flaky design.

I'll be watching for a source on the three prong (only two are used) plugs.

Cheers,

there is no separate freezer compartment on these?

Kirt,
I have about 1000 universal AC power cable that will fit the AC side. If you want I can drop one in the mail. :) I'll ask my Teck guy here at work if he knows a source for that DC plug.

I bet radio shack would have one. We used to call them euro plugs

mmw68 said:
Kirt,
I have about 1000 universal AC power cable that will fit the AC side. If you want I can drop one in the mail. :) I'll ask my Teck guy here at work if he knows a source for that DC plug.

Dude, you would be my hero, let me know what I owe you... :D

Check mouser.com or another electronics supply house for a suitable DC plug... For that matter, McMaster-Carr might have one, too.

More DC Pics?

Kurt,

Could you post a slightly better lit photo of the DC receptacle as well as the plug? That would definately help in the search. Also, on the plug, are there markings, numbers or letters of any type? They might be pretty small...

Most manufactures will use commonly available connectors that anybody can find with a little bit of leg work.

To confirm what others have said, the AC side is a universally used adapter for computers and other appliances (the technical designation is IEC 320, I think).

Thanks!
Chip

e9999 said:
You didn't notice that when you were pulling your food out of my fridge at Moab?

Computer plug should work for AC. I...uhhh...misplaced my original AC plug, so I keep a plug from an old PC with my fridge now.

chip7238 said:
Kurt,

Could you post a slightly better lit photo of the DC receptacle as well as the plug? That would definately help in the search. Also, on the plug, are there markings, numbers or letters of any type? They might be pretty small...

To confirm what others have said, the AC side is a universally used adapter for computers and other appliances (the technical designation is IEC 320, I think).

Here are some more photos... I think I found the AC cord (both from a Ih8Mudder & on mouser.com) but the DC one is still out there...

Thanks for your help!
ARB Cooler 006.jpg
ARB Cooler 015.jpg
ARB Cooler 013.jpg

PS, the writing on the DC male plug:

SAWAFUJI
ELECTRIC
DC24V 5.5A

On the unit plug, a single "4" (probably as casting mark?)

Thanks again!

Other options...

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the second set of pics - very helpful. :)

I found some plugs that were close in the Mouser and Newark catalogs, but nothing quite the same. As odd as it seems, this may be one of those cases that uses a propriatary connector.

One option that would work is to turn your existing DC plug into a short pigtail - adapting to a commonly available receptacle.

i.e. - Use this receptacle & this plug (bottom of page - parts 4795, 4796). These are available from Newark as well, but their website didn't have pics. Both are cable mounted and rewirable, so the pigtail could be easily made. Just buy one plug for the pigtail and two or three receptacles (depending on how many places you needed to use DC - Cruiser, trailer, etc.). Make sure that you use the receptacle on the side where the power comes from for safety. It's no fun to catch things on fire when the fridge is unplugged... :doh:

I guess it doesn't really matter which plug/receptacle setup you use, I would just recommend NOT getting the same IEC connection as used on the AC side - to avoid potential confusion and damage.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't find a specific match - hopefully my other idea will be of some help.

:D

Chip

e9999 said:

The Waeco has a separate small compartment that is supposed (at least in the marketing bs) to allow a temp differential. However I do not know anyone who is currently using a Waeco fridge/freezer....maybe someone who has one can chime in?

Thanks for all your help Chip, I will look into those connectors, they seem to be the easiest option at this point. Thanks everyone else who helped out too... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom