Plug For Antenna Mast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
My ‘71 FJ40 had a dealer installed am/fm radio (or so I was told). The truck was originally sold at Dons Toyota in Yreka, so who knows if the parts are actual Toyota parts or some kind of aftermarket system.

But I digress...

Someone took the factory radio out of the truck (stole) right before I bought it in 2010. The bracket for the radio is still under the dash, and the antenna still sticks up through the cowl.

I intend to install a bluetooth reciever, negating any am/fm receiver in the future. The antenna is useless to me, and blocks me from folding down the windshield.

Are there any good ideas out there how to plug the hole once I pull the antenna? A nice, formed rubber plug sounds wonderful, but I doubt it exists. Or maybe it does? I’m hoping the wisdom of mud can help me solve this seemingly easy problem that leaves me stumped, without proper parts.

I appreciate your help.

EE509843-4FBF-40EF-AF0E-602D64F1801D.jpeg

Because it is on a curved part of the body a plug is not very likely or easy to find. What you may be able to do is replace the antenna with one that has a folding feature. Other than that welding in a patch is another option.

I pulled the antenna, and despite it being on a curve, the hole appears to be round. It is a 1" hole, so I am going to try a Honda #82871-671-000, which is a 25mm radio delete plug for an Integra or Civic. Wish me luck.

1608228435835.png

The Honda antenna delete plug fits like a glove. It’s just a basic rubber body plug, but the rubber appears to be high quality.

Problem solved.
E45D0156-DAD5-41DA-A473-64E5FCA0D317.jpeg
76FBD684-3D0B-4882-A776-C3B68B223284.jpeg
E4132BF4-DF5D-4465-A147-8C8712A66A78.jpeg
71E57681-3A82-4380-985C-8BD9950560EA.jpeg

Lowes/Home Depot have large selections of different diameter round plastic plugs that I have use to fill several different holes in my 40, including the antenna mounting hole.

how did you conclude and discover the honda plug size and it would work like that ?

its there a honda plug chart you resourced or the like ?

thanks for the reply

matt

I wish I had the kind of catalog you describe. I wish there was a simpler way to find parts like this, but truthfully, its just being able to search. I used to manage the data ingestion for ~1.4million auto parts for a global aftermarket parts company (including factory toyota and honda parts) so I know the keywords and cross-references to search to find what I need.

But I would give just about anything to get access to the raw data in the databases again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom