Pls Help!- Struggling taking off the rear bumper on my 86 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any tips on taking the rear bumper off? I am to loosen the nuts underneath however the bolts with the chrome smooth heads that sit on top of the bumper just spin. What is the trick to taking this thing off?

When everything was new, the holes in the bumper were square and the bolts that secured it had square shanks. Square bolt in square hole prevented the bolt from spinning when tightening the nut.
But now....
Those square holes in the bumper are no longer square, so the bolt just spins.

If you can get at it, grab the bolt threads at the nut side with vise grips to try to hold the bolt while twisting the nut. I don't know if there's room or if you've got enough extra bolt to grab on to - or if it's even possible.
Here's another thread - front bumper:

Last edited:
The carriage bolts fitted either have rounded their shoulders, or rounded the holes in the bumper. The fasteners are old, and the nuts are probably frozen on the bolts, so… just buck them off, and replace with new when refitting.

If you can't access the bolt to cut/grind it off, you can always drill out the rounded coach head. Do a small pilot hole first. It's a painful procedure but sometimes the only solution.

I had to do this on a 225,000 miles bumper.
The trick is to use a large C-Clamp.
Position one end on top of the chrome rounded part of the bolt and the other end on anything other than the lower part of the bolt. It will stop it from spinning while trying to remove.
Obviously….use PB blaster on the nut.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom