Plexi Glass window? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gallery.2slow.ca
Popped the windshield out of Tippy this summer... haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. Before I do, thought I should investigate options other than glass for this purpose built wheeler... anyone every try plexi glass to replace the factory windshield in a 60?

Peter Straub

plexiglass scratches really easily, like say, you run a windshield wiper over it or even wiping grit off it with a wash cloth. I used a plexi glass temporary window in a bus on a side window, it got very scratched up with in a week, when the sun hit it you could not see through it.

Yes, I know helicopters have plexiglass windshields, I suspect the hardness of that spec. is pretty high and expensive.

Is your 60 driven on the street at all? I'd check the saftey/legality of a non tempered non shatter proof windhield.

Seen Plexiglass offered for 40s, however they have a flat windshield, I think the 60 has some "bend" or at least some shape to it.

Woody reviewed a Lexan 40 windshield a while ago. It's probably still linked from the front page of this site. It had a hard coat so you could run your wipers, but I really doubt they make anything but flat ones. Contact 'em and see...

plexi would scratch and also will get milky. why not just get a regular winshield?

Speedglass is the windshield you need Peter.

There are coatings for Polycarbonate that will stop the scratching process but honestly, in your neck of the woods, a glas windshield would be better.

I put plexi glass in my rear window and it has held up great, but using as a windhsield could cause problems with scratching

Nick

Looks like glass it is.

Peter Straub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom