PLEASE!! This horn don't blow it SUCKS!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not too sure there is one...the wiring diagram for a 78 does not show a relay. I've yet to find one on my 78. Horns are different on a 78...they have two contacts..I found out the hard way by buying a set of horns from a 76, thinking they would all be the same, but they have only one connector. Older horns ground to the body an have a hot line to relay, where the later ones are always hot and are grounded if the button is pushed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

That's what I'm dealing with. Two wires to each horn. Not sure there's a plug for a relay on the PS fender area.

:idea:
I'm forever hitting one of the three horn buttons when I'm on the trail, which typicaly results in whoever is in front of me stopping to see if everything is okay.

Next trip I'll just pull the relay when I air down.:grinpimp:

Mud does it again!!!!

That's a hell of a good idea Rusty, never thought of that. My 40 isn't too bad about it, but my 60 is a pain, the buttons are easily pushed and sound off alot, like backing up a trailer or something.

Always embarassing to hit the horn and not mean it.

That's what I'm dealing with. Two wires to each horn. Not sure there's a plug for a relay on the PS fender area.

Doesn't sound like you need the relay then :D. On my '74 there is just the single wire leading to each horn and then back to the relay.

Could someone please shoot me a picture of the location of the horn relay in a '78 FJ40? I'm not seeing the plug in my harness. :confused:

TIA

Posted on RS for you as well but for MUD members here are some pics of the horn relay's location etc. from a 12/74 FJ40. Sounds like if you have 2 wires going to your horns then you needn't bother looking for this little bugger. Mine appears to be OEM, original, and not in the best shape :rolleyes:

100_5045 (Medium).jpg
100_5046 (Medium).jpg
100_5047 (Medium).jpg

3 more...And yes, it appears that a PO hacked the stock connector off and went with 3 female connectors instead :confused:

100_5048 (Medium).jpg
100_5049 (Medium).jpg
100_5052c (Medium).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom