Please suggest 275/70R16 good for snow and all season / dirt roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I would love some suggestions for 2001 LX stock-size tires. I know stock size is boring but it gets me into the parking garage with a ski rack on, which is fairly important these days. I drive windy snowy roads for skiing (Idaho) in the winter but I don't want dedicated snow tires. Rest of the year sees daily driving around town, dirt road and desert camping / fishing, long highway road trips, but not much serious off-roading. I've been running Bridgestone Dueler ATs, which are fine in the snow but not great. In this size, Michelin LTX M/S or BFG All Terrain or Rugged Terrain seem to be the choices. Any input on these or other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

I love Toyo A/T's...have ~60K on them, Big-O tire guy estimates there's comfortably another 30K left. Outstanding in snow and slop. Zero road noise compared to the oem 70-series. Mine are 285-76x16, load range E.

Duratracs. I have them and my buddy has a set on his 80 and we both rave about them. Incredible traction. The softer sidewalls might turn off some hardcore wheelers but they make for a really comfy ride and greatly reduce road noise for such an aggressive tread pattern. They are simply the shiznet.

FWIW...

I've run two sets of Duratracs, they are fantastic AT, but not MT (but have the look of MTs....).
Pros: Low road noise, very wheel-able for light to moderate off roading, good design for all-season, lots of sizing available.
Cons: soft side walls (tear easy), even aired-down do not shed mud well, barely sufficient in snow >2" (no idea how the coveted snow-flake certification) so if you get serious snow you'll need a bonafide snow tire.

If you are looking for an AT with snow biased performance check out two tires from Nokian: SUV WRG3 and the Rotiiva

I have run a few sets of their all weather (season) WR and it performs as good in the snow a bonfire snow tire with no dry/warm weather performance or wear loss. The Finns have poured a lot of engineering to both rubber compound and geometry of siping. The work fine on gravel roads roads but its far from a MT, more like a lite duty AT.

While I have not owned the Rotiiva, yet, I have two buddies who ran them last year here in New England: one set is on a 4rnr and the other is on a 97 FZJ80. I have spent some time hooning with them on snow, but not gravel, and they were impressive on both slush and hard packed snow. Both my buddies found improved performance running'm around 30PSI vs 35PSI on snow/in winter.

Also, if you are planning on wheeling, don't mind some road noise, and want good snow performance look into Firestone Mts and Interco Truxus. Both MT off road tires, but I have owned and run in snow with surprisingly good results.

All that said, you always sacrifice something with an all season/all terrain. Thats why I tend to run bonafide snow tires on vehicles I will be running routinely in the snow.

I have had really good luck with the BFG TKO. I may have had terrible tires previously on my 4x4s IDK. But whenever its time for new tires and I put BFGs on I have always been impressed with there performance in the snow.

Cooper just came out with the Discoverer A/TW, it's an all weather all terrain. It has good reviews, so I'm hopeful it will work as well the Nokian WRG3... though it is definetly more aggressive. I just picked up some 275/70R18 for the 200... not sure if they have a 275/70R16.

cooperatw.jpg
cooperatw3.jpg

Cooper just came out with the Discoverer A/TW, it's an all weather all terrain. It has good reviews, so I'm hopeful it will work as well the Nokian WRG3... though it is definetly more aggressive. I just picked up some 275/70R18 for the 200... not sure if they have a 275/70R16.
VERY impressive tread blocks and siping. IIRC I think there is some business aliance between Cooper and Nokian.

I loved the Duratracs that were on one of my FJ80's. In my experience they were a fantastic tire, great in the snow (I had 20-30 snow runs on them and they worked remarkably well), and worked on the rocks, but I wouldn't have trusted them as a dedicated "off road" tire.
On the wife's 100 we're running the BFG rugged terrains, and for the price they've absolutely surprised me in their performance. We've had one winter on them and have just come up on a year of having them on her truck. I think the Mrs put about 15k on them in the last year and at the last rotation a few weeks ago they still measure better than 90%. Winter performance was very good. We run up to the mountain about every other week in the winter and I wasn't once not confident in their traction (I also realize they are not a dedicated snow tire and drive as such). We don't wheel her truck, but I had opportunity the other week to watch an FJC on identical tires do just fine running the trails at Cruisin' the Woods (this was on a pretty gnarly run and they did just fine in the slop).
I would definitely recommend them to someone else.

What about the yokohama geolander at? Looks great to me. I am thinking about going to these soon on my stock sized 2000 cruiser. Any input on these?

@TTO5 I am running the Geolandar A/T-S 275/70/R16 now and I LOVE them. It seems like not a lot of people are using them but they are excellent for the icy/snowy conditions we have around Arkansas as well as exploring the Ouachita and Ozark trails. I've only spun a tire about twice and I've had them on for a little over 9 months. Never had any problems with the sidewall, very quiet, and they hold pressure really well too.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

Did you have Michelin ltx. Before these yokohamas? Wondering if you saw a reduction in mpg? Are they louder than the michelins? Does the truck handle differently with the yoko versus the michelins?

Can you get me another shot of those yokohamas on the front looking down from top (like that picture of the rear tire) thanks

@TTO5 Yes, I bought the truck from my uncle when it had a set of Michelin LTX M/S 275/70/R16 on it. Only had about 8,000mi on them at the time of purchase and they were a great tire, however, I wanted just a little bit more of an aggressive tread (not quite BFG RT but not an all season tire either). They did excellent on wet roads and sloshy snowy mixtures but lacked the offroad capabilities the Geolandar's have. The Michelin's also didn't have much tread along the sidewall which is another thing I love about the Yoko's - as well as their price. I will get the pic later after all this rain passes over!

Thanks. Any difference in gas mileage that you noticed?

One more thing. Are yours p275/70/16 or do they start with LT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom