1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please School Me On Wireless Routers For Home Office

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by turbocruiser, Aug 27, 2006.

1. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Experts, I would love to learn what would work well with a home office setup, two to three computers sharing the system, cable highspeed connection, good security, havta gothrough VPN connections. Thanks. :cheers:

2. LukeZero

LukeZero

In my (limited) experience, with 802.11b and 802.11g. The speeds are not up to par with a 10/100 network connection. If you have high speed service to the house, you'll be disappointed with the speed of the wireless connections. Just my $.02

And if someone has different information, I'd be glad to hear it so I can make mine run faster.

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    if you have wireless i just may jack you

4. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
  5. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    D-Link Gamer Lounge DGL-4300 is a great one. Also capable of gigabit networking(4 avail. ether connections). Very fast and even my neighbor across the street can "see" it.

6. sepr2

sepr2

I have one and it works great. I think the key is to buy a decent router. Good ones are not that expensive. They can be password protected (I think they have a different term) so it is difficult to hack in to. I am on my back deck now and enjoying the wireless hookup. Seems to work as well as the cable hookup straight to the computer. I have a cable service. Our house is not wired for internet cable so this is the best option. I also VPN onto my company network and have no issues and fast transfer speed. Just my experience...

7. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

get one with an antenna that can be replaced

I have a super G wireless netgear that is great if you are right next to it... the signal gets weak at the back of the house (not that far away) and the super G operates at 54Mbs... there are newer MIMO and newer tech stuff out there that are twice as fast as the super G. I would make the caution that you should not buy any wireless router unless you can change the antenna so that you get better range. There are replacement antennas out there that will effectively double the range of the router and can be wired in and put in a more central location in your home office... that is unless you bought a Netgear that has an antenna that is hardwired in. :doh:

8. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

ih8wireless. I have a dlink wireless 802.11g router and even with the "cantenna" i'm getting spit for speeds on the inlaws computer. Going to wire the house for connectivity before winter hits I hope.

9. thelal

thelal

Media:
    Ireland; USA (WA,CO, CA, CT), Scotland, London
    Don't go wireless until u are happy with the security "risks". Your router and adapters (for each PC) need to be compatable to ensure the highest level of security. U want to be on WPA2 (XP sp2 allows this). Anything less is 'breakable' and allows outsiders to sniff/hop onto your internal network.

Unless u are going 2 b doing MP3 or large video/file transfers between Pc's I'd go 4 the 802.11g (b is cheaper but these days but g is nearly the same price but faster). Say away from the N range of equipment unless u buy all from the same vendor are a guarantee that they are compatable (at this stage N's aren't worth the premium and will all get 'ratified' once std stablized).

What is the reason 4 VPN? I presume u're looking to VPN externally (from your home office) to work sites? U will likely need some router 'tweaking' 2 enable VPN passing. Where are u going 2 be running VPN? on the PC's or direct off the router (so all PC"s on VPN)

Do u want the router to support direct VPN connections to your external work sites? If so then the work sites will dictate what type of VPN and hence router will work. IPSEC/Cisco/SSL/OpenSSH etc...
    Lot more ?'s need 2b answered b4 I could give "right" answer.

Ping me (via email) offline if need more info

10. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What's the difference between WPA2 and WPA Enterprise? I've been using WEP 128 bit for years. If my router firmware supports it, I'm assuming that this is a worthwhile upgrade for my laptops?

11. squinty20

squinty20

This statement is only true if you are doing PC to PC copying. The 56mbps you get from 802.11g is waaaaaaayyyy faster then any normal cable/dsl connection. A typical cable connection might get 3mps and DSL is usually slower. I have been running 802.11b at 11mbs for a few years and get the same performance from the Internet as if I was plugged into the router at 100mbps.

12. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

The enterprise one verifies users through a server. WPA2 verifies against a pre-set password. WEP is widely regarded as inferior because it's vulnerable to some kinds of attacks that can be used to determine the keys. WPA uses the same kind of cipher, but it doesn't have the same hole (I don't fully understand why, but I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere). WPA2 uses a different method entirely.

13. loeky

loeky

weird timing. my 3 year old Asante B/G wireless router took a dump today. what a pisser. did some research and went with a new Netgear model:

http://netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

it's designed around MIMO which uses multiple antennaes to help adjust to obstacles/interference between the router and wireless computers. was a little skeptical but figured i'd give it a try.

needless to say, i've been on it for a half day and i'm sold. all the laptops connect instantly at 90% signal throughout our house. this is compared to the 65% we got with the previous router.

i've load tested it with some 4 gig movies torrents and didn't even sweat it. i also ran internet radio and transferred music from allofmp3.com from another computer at the same time. all worked flawlessly.

as far as security, it supports all the latest protocols including WPA/WPA2. it also includes parental controls for those surly employees of yours?

best part? $100. it should work just great for your small office.

14. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

I have a netgear WPN824 I get 25mb between wireless computers. I have the compatible Netgear cards and get 108Mbps connectivity but only see 25 which as has been stated is way faster than my DSL.

It is MIMO and has all kinds security. I have had D-Link, Linksys and like this Netgear best so far.

15. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Linksys here, my comment would be that a lot depends on where you put the router in the house. I've got it in an AV closet in the basement and reception in the garage or backyard gets spotty. Two desktop PCs are hard lined off the router, single laptop uses wireless. I really like it, it's only 802.11b, speeds are plenty fast.

If you live in an apartment complex (or right next to one), I'd worry more about high security keys, but the standard WEP is fine for home use to keep neighbors and any trolling in their car with a laptop off it.

16. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Personally I'd say if you don't need it for a use it all the time laptop that moves all around the house then don't use wireless cause it sucks for a desktop. And on the contrary the 802.11G is not faster because of the latency apparrent in a wireless connection. It takes an insane amount of signal strength (read sit 5 inches from the router) to go that fast (at least with that POS D-Link I have.)

17. msahr

msahr

Media:
    Albums:
    This is my favorite... linkable WAPs that have 1 SSID across several WAPs, high temp and humidity is OK, killer antennas, any security you'd like... We installed 3 of them at a Toyota dealership for their TIS Wireless access point (they use a laptop for vehicle diagnostics). Nice unit. Not cheap. But the best (Cisco) never is....

[​IMG]

The Cisco Aironet 1300 Series Outdoor Access Point/Bridge is a flexible platform with the capability of access point, bridge, and workgroup bridge functionality. The Cisco Aironet 1300 Series provides high speed and cost effective wireless connectivity between multiple fixed or mobile networks and clients. Building a metropolitan area wireless infrastructure with the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series provides deployment personnel with a flexible, easy to use solution that meets the security requirements of wide area networking professionals. Typical applications for the Aironet 1300 Series are:

* Network connections within a campus area
    * Outdoor infrastructure for mobile networks and users
    * Public access for outdoor areas
    * Temporary networks for portable or military operations

The Cisco Aironet 1300 Series supports the 802.11b/g standard – providing 54 Mbps data rates with a proven, secure technology. Cisco makes the maintenance and installation of the 1300 Series easy by integrating it with your wired network. Based on Cisco IOS operating system, the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series provides advanced features such as Fast Secure Layer 2 Roaming, QoS, and VLANs. Key benefits of the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series are:

* Configurable for access point, bridge, or workgroup bridge roles
    * Support for both point-to-point or point-to-multipoint configurations
    * Enhanced security mechanisms based on 802.1x standards
    * Ruggedized enclosure optimized for harsh outdoor environments with extended operating temperature range
    * Integrated or optional external antennas for deployment flexibility

You DID say you wanted it for a business, right? :D

18. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

I'd say it is your router as I am using mine now on a desktop and can't tell the differance between wireless and the wired desktop connected to it.

My house is made of poured concrete so having the wire run to my office which is on the first floor while the modem and router are upstairs would require unsightly cat-5 be run through the house (Wife would not like that)

The router is about 500 feet away (direct line through concrete and rebar) and I gat a medium signal at 54Mbps.

I downloaded the ECT at an average of 54kbps in under 8 hours (1.55 gigs) using this wireless connection.