Please Say It Aint So (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been lurking in the shadows for about a month now and what i found made me register so that i could get some expert advice. i would have ended up registering sooner or later because there is no way i could take on the task of building my FJ with out help and by what i've been reading i know i'm at the right place. i hope this isn't a dumb ? but is this normal rust on a chassis???

landcruiserchassis006.jpg

landcruiserchassis005.jpg

landcruiserchassis002.jpg

landcruiserchassis004.jpg

landcruiserchassis001.jpg

it's a 74 fj 40 and i've had it for 2 weeks and i've been looking it over so that i can figure out a plan of attack for the rebuild. when i seen it i knew i had to have it if you know what i mean? so i really didn't look at it as close as i should have. i tried to talk him down on the price but he wouldn't budge and i wasn't the only one looking at it so it didn't help the negotiation any. it definately needs some work so i knew i had my hands full and it is what i was looking for.

Haha! Yeah, that's actually on the better side of normal!! I've got an October 1974 that was a lot more rust-bitten than that! The frame is solid, or looks so, so I wouldn't worry about the structural integrity of it. Sandblast and POR 15 it and it will be better than new. Trust me. To see what mine was like before the results of a restoration, click on the CarDomain.com link in my sig line. Cheers!!

Last edited:
So, what is the problem exactly? Looks mint.

That aint s***! Some folks here have to replace their frames!
What does the rest of the rig look like?

thanks for the positive feed back!!! what i was worried about the most is how the seam looks like its oozing rust .

you guys are making me feel like a cry baby!!!!!!:crybaby: i was afraid i would have some serious frame work to do. all i have planed is some marine clean, surface prep and por 15. or sandblast and por 15. how did you guys do it to get paint in the inside of the frame? here are some more pics.......

landcruiser008.jpg

landcruiser007.jpg

landcruiser002.jpg

landcruiser009.jpg

landcruiser004.jpg

landcruiser001.jpg

wow that's a good looking 40 may iask how much you payed loooking for my 3rd i live in washington state try'ing to get a money diff across the u.s thanks cub

Nice rig, looks like you got yourself a good start. I don't see any serious rust, just some surface. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. And, Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

Kevin

Hub caps look good... :)

A good cleanup and some paint and she'll look magic

I had mine sand blasted and powder coated.. Mine was never that bad though. They did a good job of getting the powder all the way through the frame. I don't remember the cost as it was 11 years ago.

live in pa would like to find 1 that good here for that price last 1 i got here actually broke in2 on the trailer ride home only 300.00 though kept some part and scrapped it anyhow nice truck and good luck

frame looks OK, no delamination I can see........

Your Bezel is on upside down.

and

Welcome to Mud!

Why is it that everybody clamors to be the first to point this out? Does this show that you're a true Cruiserhead or something?
Personally, I think it looks odd when it's got the thick part on the top, even though that's how Toyota put it on.

Oh, and nice looking 40, n2dirt! You'll have that cleaned up in no time.

I paid that for mine, but very little on it was original, including the tub. It was also disassembled, and what was assembled was wrong. You will come to realize that it's really clean for an FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom