Please review my 90K service parts list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Unfortunately, time for the t-belt replacement (actually, at 102,000, I'm overdue and holding my breath)

Anyway, I've read the FAQ's and numerous other posts, and I want to make sure my parts list for this major service is complete. I plan to change:

timing belt
accessory belt
water pump
crank seal (necessary and/or expensive?)
other seals (which ones are recommended, if any?)
engine coolant with new Toyota red coolant
tranny oil drain/refill with Dextron III (Mine's a '99 so Dextron III rather than Toyota Type T-IV, right?)
spark plugs

Any additions, suggestions, comments on this list?

Regards,

dnp

I think you could do a number of these yourself wihtout spending mucho $$$ with some basic skills, some basic tools, and a place to play.

If you have these, I would do the following yourself:

Accessory belt
Water Pump
Tranny stuff
plugs/wires, etc.

I have an 80 so I don't really deal with an accessory belt, nor the water pump, but the other stuff is easy.

Then again, if you have the cash to drop for the service, go for it.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

One way I save on my mechanic bill is to provide the parts and avoid the markup. My mechanic is alway cool with it but some won't be.

And yes, you could save a few bucks by doing the plugs yourself, etc. if you wanted to.

beno said:
I think you could do a number of these yourself wihtout spending mucho $$$ with some basic skills, some basic tools, and a place to play.

If you have these, I would do the following yourself:

Accessory belt
Water Pump
Tranny stuff
plugs/wires, etc.

I have an 80 so I don't really deal with an accessory belt, nor the water pump, but the other stuff is easy.
Yeah, I plan on doing some of the stuff myself, but the water pump on a 100 is run by the timing belt; therefore, to r&r it, you have to do the t-belt change, which I don't have the tools to do

Anyone see a deficiency in my parts / service list?

need a T-stat, seal and O-ring(upper gasket).

I did all hoses and belts, change the diff and transfer case fluid to a good synthetic and you should also flush the brake fluid. I would just have the mechanic do it all since he has to take off most of the stuff you would do yourself, so the labor has to be done anyway and it is just the parts cost. Also your plugs should be good for 120K miles, so if you aren't having any problems you can delay that for another 20K miles. Just use all Toyota parts. I used the 5 year 100K mile antifreeze that they now use on the 2004 and newer Landcruisers and plan on changing it again in 2 years or 30K miles and stay with the newer antifreeze from that point on. I know I went a little overboard changing "all" the belts and hoses but mine was used and a 99 so I wanted to know everything was "new". Hell its only money right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom