Please recommend street wheels and tires for 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm told I need 15" rims with 6 bolts and 31 x 10.5 tires. Not wild about the OEM wheel design. Truck mainly used for camping and hauling boats. Don;t want to look like a soccer mom, but . . .

One wheel got lost in an accident, so I need a whole new set.

What would you buy and where would you buy? I'm in Wisconsin.

Out of my league. Any help appreciated.

Tons of options. Pretty much any wheel designed for a 6-lug toyota will work (toyota hubs are bigger than other makes, so chevy, ford, etc might not work). And as mentioned above, center caps may or may not fit depending on the wheel design.

If you get 15" wheels, 31x10.5 is the way to go for stock size

If you get 16" wheels 275/70-16 is technically the "correct size" but 265/75-16 is much more common and will likely be cheaper and easier to find. Close enough to stock not to matter. 265/70-16 is also fairly common, but a little undersized.

The cheap steel wheels (e.g. pro-comp 51 series) get the job done and won't look "soccer mom." These trucks can easily accommodate 33" tires too if you're interested in going a little bigger.

If you are looking for simple, you can go to a website like discounttire.com and put in your vehicle. They sell wheels and tires and you can go that direction. I would take the information from @Heckraiser post as some possible options. the new 80 series wheels are all 16" and personally i think look pretty good but if that isn't your style, there are lots of other options. No one complains about Michelin.

True, the Michelin LTX MS are OEM tires on most Toyota SUV's and they are hands down the best all-around tire for an SUV that will not see much/any off-road abuse. My stepdad's set lasted 60k miles and still looked pretty serviceable at that point. They're also great in the snow, as I see you're in Wisconsin.

16" OEM 33s or 35s or go 17" 37s aftermarket if you like dirt..

Screenshot_20210819-112741_Instagram.jpg

You said it all when you you said FJ80 and hauling. You're gonna need to give that 3FE all the mechanical advantage it can have. FZJ80 stockers to get you into the 16" size, and wrap 'em in 265/75R16 as Heckraiser suggested.

You said it all when you you said FJ80 and hauling. You're gonna need to give that 3FE all the mechanical advantage it can have. FZJ80 stockers to get you into the 16" size, and wrap 'em in 265/75R16 as Heckraiser suggested.
Please explain "FZJ80 stockers." Are you referring to OEM wheels made for a FZJ80? Where would I buy those?

Please explain "FZJ80 stockers." Are you referring to OEM wheels made for a FZJ80? Where would I buy those?

Yes. Fzj80 stockers would be OEM 16” wheels that came standard in 93-97. Be sure to note there is a lug nut difference between 93/4 trucks that use acorn/conical nuts and the latter years that use a shank style. Different torque specs as well. I would search the classifieds on here or there are some refurbs avail on line. I have a set or 2 in NC avail but a long ways from WI.

Like these...
image.jpg

And does my vehicle need to be "lifted" to move up to 16"?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

No need to lift to accommodate different wheel sizes, only to fit bigger tire sizes. As said 33’s fit fine on non lifted 80s. I agree with the others keep the tire size moderate on the 3fe esp if towing. 265,275, or 285 max. Tire size calculators available in line to compare overall size differences.

Yes. Fzj80 stockers would be OEM 16” wheels that came standard in 93-97. Be sure to note there is a lug nut difference between 93/4 trucks that use acorn/conical nuts and the latter years that use a shank style. Different torque specs as well. I would search the classifieds on here or there are some refurbs avail on line. I have a set or 2 in NC avail but a long ways from WI.

Like these...View attachment 2773382

No need to lift to accommodate different wheel sizes, only to fit bigger tire sizes. As said 33’s fit fine on non lifted 80s. I agree with the others keep the tire size moderate on the 3fe esp if towing. 265,275, or 285 max. Tire size calculators available in line to compare overall size differences.
Thanks. I wonder what kind of lug nuts I'll need for my '92.

The lug nuts go with the wheels, not the truck. So you'd need to know what to look for on the wheel if you spy a set OEM wheels. (I do not know what that would be)
and recommend 265/70 16 (30.5") for towing primarily. About the smallest you'd want to go. I ran that size for a couple years and primary use was off road/trail. Noticed a big diff when I went to 33" and would swap back if I had to tow regularly.

edit:I could be wrong about that first part now that I think about it. I went to aftermarket wheels and still used acorn nuts on them. Can't recall as to why exactly.

Last edited:
Thanks. I wonder what kind of lug nuts I'll need for my '92.
The lug nuts will be WHEEL specific, not truck specific.

If you match the "stock" 15" wheels (some folks still have used ones for sale, as they also match the early 4-Runners, you will need the "acorn" style tapered-seat lug nuts.

The 93-95 factory wheels came with an acorn style nut, (torqued to 104 LB-FT) but a rim with a slightly different back-spacing and do not look like the original rims on your 92.

96-97 rims look just like the 93-95 rims, but require a "shank" style lug nut and only 80 LB-FT of torque.

I happen to have both acorn style and shank style rims on my truck, I just have to make sure I am using the correct style lug nut on the correct wheel, and torqued correctly for that style.

For ease, find an identical match wheel so all 5 match.

Check with @arcteryx and @slow95z to see if they have any 91-92 wheels from the part-outs they do. If so, you can probably get them reasonable, even with shipping. It will be less hassle in the long-run.

Good luck!

The lug nuts will be WHEEL specific, not truck specific.

If you match the "stock" 15" wheels (some folks still have used ones for sale, as they also match the early 4-Runners, you will need the "acorn" style tapered-seat lug nuts.

The 93-95 factory wheels came with an acorn style nut, (torqued to 104 LB-FT) but a rim with a slightly different back-spacing and do not look like the original rims on your 92.

96-97 rims look just like the 93-95 rims, but require a "shank" style lug nut and only 80 LB-FT of torque.

I happen to have both acorn style and shank style rims on my truck, I just have to make sure I am using the correct style lug nut on the correct wheel, and torqued correctly for that style.

For ease, find an identical match wheel so all 5 match.

Check with @arcteryx and @slow95z to see if they have any 91-92 wheels from the part-outs they do. If so, you can probably get them reasonable, even with shipping. It will be less hassle in the long-run.

Good luck!
Thanks for the details. I'm not wild about the look of the original 15 inch wheels, and I'm pretty much sold on going up to 16 inch – most likely a 265/75-16. There are a lot more styles available, and I'm hoping the rim & tire dealer I work with will know which lug nuts to use! Good suggestion to also buy a 5th wheel and maybe some extra lug nuts. I will also see what the guys you mentioned have for sale. Maybe they have some of the Fzj80 wheels for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom