Please read. * Caution...Daughter burned her foot on 2nd row seat anchor. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Threads
I have never noticed how hot this anchor gets. Looking now, I realize how close to the exhaust pipe it is. She was wearing flip-flops and took them off. As she was exiting from the 3rd row, she stepped on this seat anchor and burned her foot. So please be aware if you do not already know. I would hate for this to happen to another little kid. I felt sooo bad. :(

20190821_092623.jpg

20190822_174155.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't realize that would happen that far back. But my wife used to complain that on front passenger position, the floor in general would get too hot to leave her feet there when I was bombing up the mountain passes in the summer. Her seat legs would also get too hot to touch. So I put some insulation under the carpet, and I doubled up on the heat shield on the firewall and the floor. BIG difference. She says it never gits hot at all now.

Didn't realize that would happen that far back. But my wife used to complain that on front passenger position, the floor in general would get too hot to leave her feet there when I was bombing up the mountain passes in the summer. Her seat legs would also get too hot to touch. So I put some insulation under the carpet, and I doubled up on the heat shield on the firewall and the floor. BIG difference. She says it never gits hot at all now.

My wife had the same complaint. On long road trips the floor board on the passenger side, including the second row would get hot. When I pulled the carpet awhile back to clean it I added a layer of thermozite (?) insulation and some more bulky jute. It is much more improved. It used to be that a soft side cooler I put behind the console in the second row would need an ice recharge after a 4 hour drive. Now it just needs a recharge the next day at the soonest.

I may look into more heat shielding, but since it is working...

This is why I recently accomplish “operation heat block” on my 80 but mostly to cool down the passenger floor board for my wife. I used products from Thermo Tec.

My rig is a 1993. I removed the cats, the over the frame Y-pipe and the muffler. Then I used degreaser and my pressure washer to thoroughly clean the passenger side under body back to the rear muffler hanger frame bracket. Then Applied a Thermo Tec heat deflector product for exterior and reinstalled the exhaust system.

Next I gutted the interior, again, removed some of the not so good heating duct insulator I got at home depot two years ago and installed an interior product from Thermo Tec.

It has made a difference but we haven’t put it to the real test of creeping down a trail for hours in summer heat.

I was planning to post a short write up on this but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

C9F6FD1D-1C1D-449D-8D7D-FB709369B581.jpeg
D8C47E08-645B-4939-8D34-A0555F88E4A2.jpeg

This is why I recently accomplish “operation heat block” on my 80 but mostly to cool down the passenger floor board for my wife. I used products from Thermo Tec.

My rig is a 1993. I removed the cats, the over the frame Y-pipe and the muffler. Then I used degreaser and my pressure washer to thoroughly clean the passenger side under body back to the rear muffler hanger frame bracket. Then Applied a Thermo Tec heat deflector product for exterior and reinstalled the exhaust system.

Next I gutted the interior, again, removed some of the not so good heating duct insulator I got at home depot two years ago and installed an interior product from Thermo Tec.

It has made a difference but we haven’t put it to the real test of creeping down a trail for hours in summer heat.

I was planning to post a short write up on this but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

View attachment 2063807View attachment 2063811

EXACTLY what I want to do on the underside now...

I actually got the idea from an older thread here in the Mud archives. The rep at Thermo Tec told me that the exterior stuff is all i should need because I had at least installed something on the inside but I decide to do the inside anyway.

Their products are sold on Amazon for a bit less than the Thermo Tec site.

I used their high heat tape and 3M weather strip adhesive to adhere the product to the under side around the perimeter. The stock heat shields do a good job of retaining it in the middle areas. It’s not all that expensive.

You better do something before your people develop a grudge against your favorite car. Haha

My 91 just burns my feet and keeps any passengers from complaining lol

I have never noticed how hot this anchor gets. Looking now, I realize how close to the exhaust pipe it is. She was wearing flip-flops and took them off. As she was exiting from the 3rd row, she stepped on this seat anchor and burned her foot. So please be aware if you do not already know. I would hate for this to happen to another little kid. I felt sooo bad. :(

View attachment 2063567

Isn't that the anchor for the 3rd row seat? If she was in the 3rd row that should have been covered, no? Also what kind of burn are we talking, 2nd degree with blisters or just an "ow that hurt Dad!" kind of burn. Not going to get too spun up on the latter.

Isn't that the anchor for the 3rd row seat? If she was in the 3rd row that should have been covered, no? Also what kind of burn are we talking, 2nd degree with blisters or just an "ow that hurt Dad!" kind of burn. Not going to get too spun up on the latter.

That's what I was thinking. Still shouldn't get that hot but it the only exposed piece so if the seat was in you should never see it.

*Edit - NM I see 2nd row, so was this driver or passenger side? I could see exhaust heating up on passenger side. I think going with new cat and bigger pipe helped not heat mine up so much and about to go stainless which hopefully will help more

That's what I was thinking. Still shouldn't get that hot but it the only exposed piece so if the seat was in you should never see it.

*Edit - NM I see 2nd row, so was this driver or passenger side? I could see exhaust heating up on passenger side. I think going with new cat and bigger pipe helped not heat mine up so much and about to go stainless which hopefully will help more

Passenger side and pipe runs right underneath it. Hopefully won't happen again, learn once...but still.

Going to get a temp reading today.

2nd row mount, 191°F

Had readings for cats and down pipe, but then I rechecked the specs for my IR and it maxes out at 302°F
20190822_174155.jpg

Last edited:
Passenger side and pipe runs right underneath it. Hopefully won't happen again, learn once...but still.

Going to get a temp reading today.

I've used aluminum flashing for heat shields and that's worked well for me for various vehicles. It's cheap, flexible and easy to cut and shape. I usually fold it over and use it 2 or 3 layers since it's thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom