This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all,

I have looked around this site a few times while trying to find some answers and finally choose to make an account and ask myself.

First, What is the desired idle on a 87 FJ60? (I ask because when I adjust the idle speed to low (below 700RPM) after driving and stepping on brakes while coming to a stop in neutral the truck will shut off.

Second, I am thinking about doing a desmog and want to get a new carb that I can adjust the jets, what is the best (cost considered) carb for this? I was considering running a snorkel for the intake to get more fresh air, any advice?

Third, Where is the best place to find parts?? I am looking for either a new power steering fluid reservoir, or just the seals to fix a leak, I am looking for a place for new struts, (rear passenger is sagging would prefer to find a way to lift it a couple inches if anyone has advice) also I am looking for possibly a new starter. Overall I am looking for a legitimate, cost efficient, reliable place to find parts.

Fourth, What gauge sheet metal is preferred to repair rocker panels? Any advice when doing this repair...

I am attempting to do the work in the spring when I get out of school, so not to time sensitive but sooner the better.
Thank you for the help!!

Hi, it seems to be 650, read this: setting idle speed 87 fj60
Try to download the FSM (factory service manual) for your model (probably any FJ)
Snorkel is nice for cool air, don't know if it is more air.
There are clubhouses in the mud forum with people that might help.

Sheet metal was here in the 60 forum a few days back:
Getting ready to do some rust repair....what gauge sheet metal?

And mud has some folks selling stuff, don't trust them :grinpimp: they are like whispering nymphs for your wallet :cheers:
I only am interested in HJ60 but this maintenance manual covers both and is a good indication: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D936BcfemZTGpOcFNSdWxNX1E/view?pref=2&pli=1

Just get the FSM, print the page you will be doing, collect websites with info, good luck.

Welcome to the Forum!

There is a lot of information here, but the search function on the site is pretty rudimentary and often will not return the results it should.

The best way to search mud for information is via Google. Google has indexed every page. Enter your search terms in the Google search bar, add a space, then type :site ih8mud.com

Everything relevant to your search query will come up that is on mud only.

>>>>

1. Idle speed
Officially the idle speed is 650 rpm, but you can set it a bit higher. The engine shouldn't die at idle. You've got something else going on. Maybe dirty carburetor. Maybe something else. Maybe a vacuum leak.
You can use the choke knob to raise the idle. It doesn't act as a choke when the engine is warm. Just a throttle positioner.

2. Carb
The best carb is the one that came with the truck. Jets are not adjustable. Don't mess with the jets on the stock carb.

3. Parts Vendor
Shop around and get price quotes. Everyone has their favorite vendor. If you want to throw your money away, walk into a Toyota dealership and order your parts there at the counter.

Last edited:
Minor hijack...
The best way to search mud for information is via Google. Google has indexed every page. Enter your search terms in the Google search bar, add a space, then type :site ih8mud.com
Great info, new to me. Thanks @Output Shaft!
Hijack over.
Welcome @87CruiserCid:flipoff2:
This site will save you more money, and cost you more money, all at the same time.

Thanks for the help everyone! @Output Shaft, I think it is a vacuum leak thats one of the reasons I was interested in the desmog, hopefully can pull some of that mess out and do some further investigation.

Thanks for the help everyone! @Output Shaft, I think it is a vacuum leak thats one of the reasons I was interested in the desmog, hopefully can pull some of that mess out and do some further investigation.
Welcome to mud! I had a similar issue when I first got my 60 with the carb, turned out I had some bent linkage on the back side of the carb (must have been dropped during rebuild..) Best Carb that is not the factory one that is in your 60, is a carb from @FJ40Jim or one from @Trollhole

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom