Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gonna bump this for a bit. Ok, now if you fellas read my post from the link above, you know whats going on, now I turned my truck on today just to move it to drive another car, but it felt fine, drove it to school, perfectly fine. Whats the deal?
Thanks

-Carl

FJ 62 with an Automatic?

Do you have any leaks? Tranny, transcooler lines, etc?

Still full of fluid?

Yes

Pretty sure it does not, but its not a car if it doesnt leak, I'll check over the weekend. Had a link for a beefy new trans cooler...but since long gone.

Yes

-Carl

You need a McNamara Gear.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/125388-62-d-r-clunk.html

The splines on the input gear in your t-case are the source of the problem.

Toyota designed the t-case to accept a PTO winch box.

In this gear, the gear on the far right is the PTO gear:
original.jpg

The gear you need doesn't have that one:
upgraded.jpg

On the new gear the splines on the inside engage the output shaft of the transmission a little over an inch. On the OEM gear it engages about .5"

Some folks weld the input gear, spacer and PTO gear together. That's the 3 pieces to the far right of the top picture. The spacer doesn't have splines on the inside, IIRC. That's a fine solution if you believe in your bead. I chose the McNamera gear.
If you want to know for sure you won't have this problem again, put a McNamara gear in the t-case with a brand new output shaft in the transmission. Truck will shift smooth like a camry and won't spin a gear again.

Search McNamera gear here on mud for more info. I think they are a PITA to get now. Source used to be Great Basin Rovers, IIRC.

I've read about the Mc gear couple times before...
Easy to install?
Which one would suit me? 19 spline or the 32 &/or 34 one?
Thanks
-Carl

I've read about the Mc gear couple times before...
Easy to install?
Which one would suit me? 19 spline or the 32 &/or 34 one?
Thanks
-Carl

Install is an easy part of a t-case overhaul. You have to take the whole t-case apart. I can't remember what spline for your truck, I think it's 32 but I'm not positive. You'll have to dig for the answer to that one, or maybe somebody else may chime in here and tell you for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom