Please Help to remove the alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there members. I'm planning in removing my alternator on my 91' Toyota Land Cruiser. I wondering if there any specific instructions in removing it. I just look under the hood and it looks really cramp.

One more thing, the reason I'm doing this removal is because my volt meter was really low going home. I got home, remove the positive terminal and the motor shuted off. I started it again and it crank really slow, but it started. I drove it around the block and the volts jump back to normal. (Funny thing is that my battery light didn't turn on all.) The next day, it didn't start. I replaced the battery. Few days later it did again. My theory is that the alternator is bad and not charging my battery. Please Help

Drive it to a parts store and they can test it before you remove it. If it is bad it is pretty easy to get out once you remove the air pump.

I am assuming you have a 3fe.

Had the same problem not too long ago mate... turned out the brushes had gone. Ended up costing me a battery! Like you it ran dead so I knew the alternator wasnt charging..
put the voltmeter on your battery terminals and check to see the voltage when the car is off and then once started on idle.. you should see the voltage increase to 13.5v-14.2v. (Rough guide, not sure of exact value in FSM but will confirm)
If lower your battery isnt charging and the alternator is most likely the culprit.
My bet is the brushes or the regulator.

Removing the alternator is pretty simple but not sure which is yours (I have 1hd-t)

To get to the alternator you are going to have to remove the air pump, and while it might be possible to do without removing the fan clutch and shroud, doing so makes it much easier. Actually with all the belts and such I think you will be much happier with life and may actually have to remove them. Unfortunately it is not a simple process (on the 3FE) and will take you several hours to get apart, at least it did me.

The fan clutch and shroud must be removed together which is a pain! It is a good time to do your belts while everything is apart and the waterpump and thermostat if you have the time and funds.

You will also need to determine which alternator you have, 90A or 80A. Most likely it is an 80A but the upgrade is pretty simple and there are several good write-ups on it. I will try to link a few later today but I am on the mobile App right now.

Thank you guys. Really help me out. I may sound like a rookie, but what's a 3FE? This vehicle was giving to my wife by her dad. We been owning it for about two years with out any problems. Ryno, I don't have a voltmeter but in the process of getting one. I started taking it apart. Jynx, yes it is a pain in the butt. But I manage to take it out with out removing the fan clutch and shroud. I'm going to replace belts.

...... I may sound like a rookie, but what's a 3FE?.....

Welcome rookie!

All Toyota Land Cruisers shipped to the US from 1991 to 1997 model year are an 80 series Land Cruiser. The first 2 years (91-92), they were powered by a 3FE engine. It has 4.0 liter displacement. That is what your truck is and so the model designation is FJ80.

In 1993-1997, Toyota installed a larger, more modern motor, called a 1FZ. This engine was still a straight 6 cylinder but increased to 4.5 liter displacement. The model designation on these trucks is FZJ80.

All of this info can be found here on MUD with the search function. I would caution you that Land Cruisers are addictive. Before you know it, you will be eating, sleeping and breathing LC's.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Maybe I'm just a dick but if you have to ask these questions and you pull cables off while it's running and you don't own a multimeter you should probably just take it to someone who can properly diagnose before you go trying to swap parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom