Please help stuck on suspension install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the front of my tough dog suspension installed, but am stuck on trying to get the sway bar back on. When I disconnected it, the arm flew up and I have been able to pry it down enough to fit the bolt, but not enough to actually get the threads started. Anybody know how I can get this back on?

20190720_152908.jpg

As long as KDSS is still loose, put a bottle jack under the sway bar arm, near the pivot point iirc
And slowly raise it up as if it were in neutral position.

Also, loosening the sway bar bracket bolts that hold it up against the frame can allow the bar to move around some. Just avoid backing them out completely as getting the bar back in place can be a challenge.

Big shout out to Taco2Cruiser and Sac Cerevisiae. They both PMed me their number. After chatting with Taco2Cruiser I got the help I needed to Jack up the driver side pivot point for the sway bar. That forced the passenger side low enough to get the bolt in.

For anybody stuck and finding this thread. Go to the drivers side and remove the plastic surrounding the front tire down/recovery point. Underneath it is a pivot point for the sway bar. Jacking that up with all four wheels on the ground got the sway bar positioned in the right spot to get the bolt in.

Big shout out to Taco2Cruiser and Sac Cerevisiae. They both PMed me their number. After chatting with Taco2Cruiser I got the help I needed to Jack up the driver side pivot point for the sway bar. That forced the passenger side low enough to get the bolt in.

For anybody stuck and finding this thread. Go to the drivers side and remove the plastic surrounding the front tire down/recovery point. Underneath it is a pivot point for the sway bar. Jacking that up with all four wheels on the ground got the sway bar positioned in the right spot to get the bolt in.

Nice!!!

I have finally finished. I started at 8am and finished at 1am. Lesson learned today is I need to just have fun doing maintenance and leave the significant wrenching to the pro's. The satisfaction of doing it myself does not outweigh the frustration I dealt with today and the back pain I will be dealing with tomorrow.

One great thing is I was genuinely surprised that some of you were willing to PM me your number and help a guy over the phone. This is the best automotive enthusiast group I have ever been a part of!

Took me about 12 hours by myself to do it. I also ran into some problems that an extra set of hands and some prior experience would have solved quickly. I felt the same way afterwards, but I’ll probably tackle the next project myself anyway.

We have a great forum here. A lot of knowledge and the willingness to share and help.

Get some rest and post some pictures of the results.

Will do.

I have a slight height difference. Pass rear is 5mm higher and driver front is 5mm lower. The other two match each other. Not sure if it will settle on it's own or if this is enough of a difference to count as kdss lean. Any thoughts?

I'll post pics tomorrow if I can

Took it for a drive around the block and got a strange clunk or two at first. Should I be worried about any clunking sounds. Going to get an alignment Monday and have the shop look everything over.

Tough install for me too. Massive paranoia that I would push down too far on the front hubs and end up having the bearings get out of position like a few other folks have. Plus countless hours getting front and rear sway bars reinstalled. Good payoff in the end though.

Are the KDSS valves closed?

Are the KDSS valves closed?

I closed them back, but didnt torque down on them tight. Just snugged them up

I think I found the source of the clunk. The adjustable ball joint slipped back. I must have forgot to torque them down. Going to double check and torque the ball joints that bolt to the spc upper control arms and drive it again to ensure mo clunking sounds

I closed them back, but didnt torque down on them tight. Just snugged them up

I think I found the source of the clunk. The adjustable ball joint slipped back. I must have forgot to torque them down. Going to double check and torque the ball joints that bolt to the spc upper control arms and drive it again to ensure mo clunking sounds
There should be no clunks on a new suspension anywhere. And I feel ya buddy, I swore that the next time I did suspension I'd have someone else do it. But now after a couple years time heals and I'm just about ready again :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom