Builds Bringing an old 40 back to life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

was this from the guy who had several (maybe two or three) for sale on craigslist?

what does your frame number say .... on the frame?

coolfj40_2271_107836083 (1).jpg

@JohnnyC is the carb from that guy or the truck? If it was a guy that had 2 or 3 (green) 40’s for sale near Poughkeepsie it was probably a friend of mine (he sold all his). Neither the carb nor the truck was from him though

Last edited:

Large window carb is correct for the Siamese port intake. Obviously had a piece of plate glass cut to replace the original. Inlet missing, possibly stripped. No telling what it looks like inside. I have no sight glasses to offer, but can deal with a number of the internal problems with spares I keep on hand for in house rebuilds.

I’d focus on the suspension issues first. Those leaf springs are super scary, even more than the frame.

@65swb45 i believe I have the Siamese port intake (if I’m looking at the right google pictures). Is there any way to identify this?
As far as the carb, I just removed it from the vehicle it was on. If the inlet is the piece that goes from the pump to the carburetor, I’ve got it. I also have the piece with the vacuum fitting that goes between the carb and the manifold. I was just hoping for as little down time as possible so I was hoping to get the carb done while the suspension and brakes are being fixed.

Just wanted to give everyone an update...While lacking a clean/warm/dry/covered workspace during the winter and since my wife and 4 sons will be in this vehicle I decided it was best to turn over the truck to a professional to address any safety concerns. Thursday afternoon my wife and I drove up to meet Wally and Junior, both really nice guys. Wally will have our 40 for the next couple months. Ill update with pictures along the way.

@JohnnyC Thanks for the reference!

Last edited:
Welcome to mud.

If you haven't already, in the Clubhouse section, check out both Yankee Toys and Gotham City Land Cruiser, the 2 clubs in our area.

Wally and Junior are well respected and do very good work.

Again, welcome.

81B95CEF-26F2-4E2D-BB53-C1DAA8E80656.jpeg
9CFD13BD-A618-45E0-AC12-6383CA00C60F.jpeg

Just wanted to post a final picture of it in its current condition. The first picture is outside Wallys shop and the second is loaded on the trailer departing our house. I can’t wait to see how it comes out. I probably could make this thread a little more interesting by adding more details... I convinced my wife to allow all this trip by telling her we could do a night trip in Manchester which is a beautiful town and was definitely worth it.

This morning I ordered new LED headlights and turn signals from @Racer65

Deciding on what to do about the suspension... Any input would be appreciated. The most “off-roading” this will see is dirt roads. I’m looking for something as comfortable as possible and easy for the wife and kids to get in and out of so I’m thinking a 4” lift is out. Love the look of the FJ Co 40’s with the OME kit and 33’s...I would consider stock height if I could locate stock leaf springs in good usable shape.

That being said, if anyone is selling a used ome kit or good used leaf springs I would be interested.

Last edited:
you past by my town (East Greenbush) ... I’m surprised I didn’t get told of a cruiser in the area from one of my various informants planted throughout the capital region :)

I need to go see the Wally man and Junior ... and the family for that mater

Been awhile since I’ve been up there

@JohnnyC I’m east of the Taconic so I ended up taking 22 all the way up to 346 so that’s why you didn’t any calls haha

They’re good people. I’m glad to be giving them my business. You should go see what he’s working on (other than mine)

That large window carb may help you finance other things. Looks like the paint is code T-1028, spring green in the engine compartment. It appears to have been repainted a similar color. Enjoy this truck!

Does anyone have experience with the Dobinson 2” lift? If so, how do you like them and can you provide pictures? Thanks!

Once you get the mechanicals out of the way, and start working on getting the lights sorted out, visit my web site for any electrical parts you may need. I stock all the older connectors and the correct colored/striped wire. If you decide you need a new harness, I can build you one but the waiting list is loooooong.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom