Please help me prioritize repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it's a HDJ100, 2000, 4.2 diesel, AHC, 4spd auto.

Suspension feels super bad, squeaks and knocks all day. Frankly, my prius drives better:(

The trouble list:

1, Rear springs
2, Rear panhard bushings
3, Rear lower control arm bushings (+bent arm)
4, Rear shock bushings (upper mainly) - rusted, won't come off without cutting
5, All 3 height sensors are on their way
6, Front shock bushings (upper mainly) - rusted, won't come off without cutting
7, Front sway bushings
8, globes are probably on their way looking at the overall condition of the car
9, CV shafts - play on both flange (rotational), both diff end (up/down) - clunk and wobble at around 70mph
10, Leaking steering rack
11, Light engine knock (I suspect BEB's)
12, Heavy rust on chassis & some on the body (wheel wells, sills)
+1, alternator probably on its way

I'm not sure if the truck is saveable within reason, so that's an answer as well. I'd like to keep the AHC, as I need the adjustable damping and height. I don't carry weight or tow.

It doesn't have to be 100% dependable, but I'd like to be able to use it without expecting major dramas (accident or whatnot)

My list would be:
CV's, rear springs, rear panhard, control arms, front sway bar, globes, shocks, height sensors, engine knock, alternator (if it survives this long), rust.

The monthly money I'm able to push into it is around $1k/month.

What would be your ideas about arranging the repairs smartest?

I would do CVs AND flanges. I’d leave all bushings and springs for last. Try the AT204 sealer or whatever for your rack.

I don’t know much about engine knocks or AHC though.

I would do CVs AND flanges. I’d leave all bushings and springs for last. Try the AT204 sealer or whatever for your rack.

I don’t know much about engine knocks or AHC though.

Thanks! Why the CV's/flanges before the bushings? I thought I could pull some more miles out of these CV's if I baby it, but the bushings really make the car ride bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing/questioning, just would like to understand how and why things make a car better/worse.

With the wear you’re describing they seem pretty bad. I just put new aftermarket shafts in and got a wobble under heavy throttle when getting up to speed. Also have pretty bad clunking.

Have you removed the grease cap and taken a look at the snap ring?

I feel like a floaty ride is more tolerable than a crucial drivetrain part. Plus, more time to hit with penetrating oil. I hit my torsion bars with penetrating oil for two weeks before pulling them. Made it much easier given the rust I had.

With the wear you’re describing they seem pretty bad. I just put new aftermarket shafts in and got a wobble under heavy throttle when getting up to speed. Also have pretty bad clunking.

Have you removed the grease cap and taken a look at the snap ring?

I feel like a floaty ride is more tolerable than a crucial drivetrain part. Plus, more time to hit with penetrating oil. I hit my torsion bars with penetrating oil for two weeks before pulling them. Made it much easier given the rust I had.

Great points! Yeah, I've inspected the shafts/rings under the caps.. they're pretty well worn. Not sure if the flange or the shaft are worse, as I didn't yet pulled the flanges.

If that fails you lose wheel bearing and spindle. If you have the clunk from D to R and on/off throttle at speed, then CV and flange are worn.

If that fails you lose wheel bearing and spindle. If you have the clunk from D to R and on/off throttle at speed, then CV and flange are worn.

Is there anything else worth doing while replacing the CV’s? I already have the new diff seals with me, and was planning to do that as well as good measure.

I’m hoping someone else chimes in, as there are more knowledgeable people than I, but I would say that the CVs don’t require too much to get to, so it’s not as much of a “while I’m down there” situation I think.

I’m hoping someone else chimes in, as there are more knowledgeable people than I, but I would say that the CVs don’t require too much to get to, so it’s not as much of a “while I’m down there” situation I think.
Thank you very much!

Definitely look into the AHC stuff. I haven’t paid close attention to the threads on it, but I feel like I’ve picked some up in passing, that if the sensors fail you are going to be all out of whack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom