Please help me identify this leak - 1999 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LC_leak.jpg

The leak just started a couple days ago. Feels and smells like oil. Looks like it is coming from this spot as it is all soaked in oil. The is between the engine and transmission so would this be the rear seal (what houses the clutch)?

I did an offroading trip recently so wondering if I just need to tighten those bolts down a bit or if this is a sign of something bigger.

Before posting I have googled, youtubed, read through forums, FAQ, etc! Haven't seen a picture or video of the exact issue. I appreciate any responses and have a great rest of your day!

View attachment 3372358

The leak just started a couple days ago. Feels and smells like oil. Looks like it is coming from this spot as it is all soaked in oil. The is between the engine and transmission so would this be the rear seal (what houses the clutch)?

I did an offroading trip recently so wondering if I just need to tighten those bolts down a bit or if this is a sign of something bigger.

Before posting I have googled, youtubed, read through forums, FAQ, etc! Haven't seen a picture or video of the exact issue. I appreciate any responses and have a great rest of your day!
When mine leaked there, it was the RMS. Had the RMS fixed, and no more leak...

The leak could be from up higher and simply coming out at the bottom, due to gravity. Unless the leak is severe, it's rarely worth pulling the transmission to fix a rear main seal leak. Many folks just live with it. Wipe the are clean, and see how long it takes to drip.

Last edited:
Add oil dye and go from there you can bye a cheap black light and glasses.

View attachment 3372358

Pull the cover off, if it is dry inside, its most likely coming from your valve cover gaskets leaking down. If it is wet inside, its your RMS.

The oil pan is dry pretty much clearing the VCs as sources, and the driver side of the BH/upper oil pan joint shows a dry line. If the passenger side looks similar, then your leak is at or below that line - pretty much pinning it down to the RMS (rear main seal). You can confirm this by pulling that one bolt and the little black cover to inspect. If there's a radial spray on the face of the converter, you found your culprit. In that case, the fix will be to pull the trans and torque converter and replace that seal.

Excuse my ignorance but what is RMS or what does that acronym stand for?

I found a thread with a similar leak: Mechanic Said RMS - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mechanic-said-rms.1276474/ however no explanation of what RMS is

View attachment 3372365

Rear main seal. I'll go drink coffee now.
Rear Main Seal. Not saying that that's it, but that's what it was on mine after I determined it wasn't anything else. Check all things else before, as it could be something way less involved.

Thanks for the reply folks! I will do a little poking around to confirm but I am 90% sure it is the RMS (i'm using that now). If you look close at the image you can see how it is seeping out of the joints (but like some of you said this could be coming from elsewhere).

I'll pull that cover off and take a look. Probably going to have to hit the mechanic up for this one though as I don't have a way to drop a transmission in my garage.

I love when people just throw out a diagnosis based on one picture of oil leaking at the bottom of an engine.

Anyway, post more pics of the top end without the engine cover on. Like any leak, you can't diagnosis it until you clean everything up and monitor it. In the meantime make sure you top off your oil level. Oh and don't add UV leak detection dye to your oil as suggested before, that is very unnecessary since you can see oil and it's not invisible like gas in the AC system.

I love when people just throw out a diagnosis based on one picture of oil leaking at the bottom of an engine.

Anyway, post more pics of the top end without the engine cover on. Like any leak, you can't diagnosis it until you clean everything up and monitor it. In the meantime make sure you top off your oil level. Oh and don't add UV leak detection dye to your oil as suggested before, that is very unnecessary since you can see oil and it's not invisible like gas in the AC system.
I'm glad that you love it when people just throw out a diagnosis based on one picture.

If you are leaking as much as you said, you should check the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve and do some other engine checks (compression, etc.) A 'dollar bill sized puddle' is way beyond a simple leak.

I'm glad that you love it when people just throw out a diagnosis based on one picture.
Well any real mechanic wouldn't do that but to each his own. You seem to have it all figured out.

Just saying, need more info first before guessing

Well any real mechanic wouldn't do that but to each his own. You seem to have it all figured out.
This will be the last i say, but if you read my response " Rear Main Seal. Not saying that that's it, but that's what it was on mine after I determined it wasn't anything else. Check all things else before, as it could be something way less involved" I clearly am in agreement with a full diagnosis first.

I love it when people make generalizations of posters

The mechanic fell through as he is backed up for weeks. Called another place, also backed up for weeks. Found a shop for $140/hr but would like to try to find someone a little bit cheaper if I'm looking at a potential 10hrs of labor.

Read up further it could also be coming from the upper oil pan (#1) seal, would need to lift vehicle to see better though.

Open to mechanic recommendations in east valley arizona!

Edit: Also, double checked records and valve cover gaskets were just done 2 years ago. I looked around them and didn't see any oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom