Please help identify this air leak - 1kz-te (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first-time poster here.

I've got a 97 4Runner with a JDM 1KZ-TE swapped in. Lightly modified with Sonoran Steel lift, Shcrockworks bumper, and sliders. Odometer now reads 357K miles. :)

A couple of months ago it started to make a hissing or whistle when the engine was under load and hit 2300 RPMs and it has gotten a little bit worse. I cannot locate the source of the trouble and unfortunately, I do not have a reliable diesel mechanic in San Francisco to take it to.

I took a video trying to capture the sound of it today and posted it as an unlisted YouTube video. You can hear when the hissing starts, and just at the end of the video you can kind of hear how if I keep standing in it, the whistle turns into more of a whooshing fan-like noise. Is there an obvious place to look in trying to solve this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds turbo related to me. Most likely a boost leak somewhere, but could also be the dying breath of your turbo... So make sure all piping/clamps after the turbo are tight and in good shape. Take the intake off your turbo and feel the shaft for play side/side, front/back. Look to see if the compressor has hit the inside of the compressor housing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning to go through all the hoses and connections for splits and leaks for both the turbo and the intercooler.

Sorry for not reporting back sooner - the problem was a hose connection coming out of the intercooler.
It was tight enough not to notice but loose enough to leak under heavy pressure. Cleaned the oil from the joints and nearly broke the hose clamp screw tightening it up - problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom