Please help identify this 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! Seems i just bought it! It was imported from Japan, so right-hand drive, B diesel engine (3 liters), drums on all corners. I know that it was painted sweet mustard yellow, but now it is covered with nasty thick rust-cover stuff. Could someone say what year is this by it's under hood table please?

Thanks!
Andrey

Last edited:
can't tell by the plate, but I would guess 78-79

Welcome to the club Andrey!

Can't help either on the basis of what I know of the frame numbers. But the popout rear windows were available in 8/1976 first, I think, and the headlight bezel squared off in 1979, so that's about where I put it.

Tubular spare tire mount was 9/76. Reclining seats came in '79. At least here. Does that help narrow it?

Thanks guys! I expect it to be '75 - i found that drums were up to '76 - this would mean that me and 40 born in the same year! I don't know why - this forum doesn't allow me to attach another picture - i must delete those two i posted in first message - i wanted to show you rear view - tubular spare carrier, rectangular lights, vertically split doors...

I'm planning tlc 60 axles - they're wider and come with disc brakes. SPUA with lifted springs, 33" bfg a/t... Also i have an option to change an engine to 3B diesel (3.4liter) or sweet V8 5.7L from some chevy - dunno yet. Anyway this will go in parallel with my main project - lwb Samurai which is undergoing major rebuild - axles and coil suspension from 70-series landcruiser, steering from 60-series.

the disc starting in 76 in the US is correct, BUT many many parts of the world had drums much latter, like into the 1980's, even up to 88 on come cruisers.

Russian said:
Thanks guys! I expect it to be '75 - i found that drums were up to '76 - this would mean that me and 40 born in the same year! I don't know why - this forum doesn't allow me to attach another picture - i must delete those two i posted in first message - i wanted to show you rear view - tubular spare carrier, rectangular lights, vertically split doors...

I'm planning tlc 60 axles - they're wider and come with disc brakes. SPUA with lifted springs, 33" bfg a/t... Also i have an option to change an engine to 3B diesel (3.4liter) or sweet V8 5.7L from some chevy - dunno yet. Anyway this will go in parallel with my main project - lwb Samurai which is undergoing major rebuild - axles and coil suspension from 70-series landcruiser, steering from 60-series.

Welcome Russian! Very nice truck!

Is there a plate on either door jamb? If so, it may have the build date if it's done like US versions were.

I wonder if lambpimp can identify the suffixes to the "BJ40" nomenclature on the plate shown? That may help identify the truck.

Is that a grey color as it appears on my monitor? If so, very attractive and unusual if original.

yes

74fj40 said:
wouldnt it have the square bezel if it was a 79 and up?

Landpimp said:
hey now, this aint Montana :D

"Where men are men and sheep are scared?" :grinpimp:

honk said:
Welcome Russian! Very nice truck!

Is there a plate on either door jamb? If so, it may have the build date if it's done like US versions were.

I wonder if lambpimp can identify the suffixes to the "BJ40" nomenclature on the plate shown? That may help identify the truck.

Is that a grey color as it appears on my monitor? If so, very attractive and unusual if original.

No plates or stickers on the body or doors because it was painted with some glossy grey paint - just tcase/gedrbox operation instructions stickers still on glove box cover - dash left in original color - mustard yellow. Previous owner did a lot of welding on it, so it appears like in good shape, but i'd like to sandblast bodyparts and repaint 'em with mustard yellow with nice layer of rust-preventing underpaint.

I'll post more photos after i'll tow it to my garage this weekend (it runs normally, but brakes are dead and some leafs in springs are broken).

Seeya on Monday!

I notice a Flip out rear glass on hard top and fold down gas door.

79 and new gas doors were hinged either front or back right.

Zdrazhvuitye, drugh.
Eta BJ40, horosho.
Eta ni govno, ni hunya.

Skoilka stoit?

(Sorry, no Cyrillic)

Povteretye pozhalusta, Tcharlee. Ya ni ponimayu.

Have a look at the casting date on the steering knuckles.YY/MM/DD.Might not be accurate but will help(if its orig).

Tez

Bork Bork Bork

chef2.gif

wait that chef is swedish DOH!

We all doorak! Trying to figure out the year of a Japan spec by comparing to US model does not work well. Disks were only an option in most markets (starting 81 I think), you will find many 1980’s 40’s series with drums. But I would guess this is a 77 or 78. Where is the fuel tank? Under seat or under body? It looks like the under seat tank body tub to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom