Please help FJ62 clicks but won't crank over (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday everyone trying to get my 1989 FJ62 to start and am having issue's, turn the key and only here a single click from a relay, good battery and brand new starter motor

Am new to cruisers and am not sure where to start, any helpful info will be much appreciated cheers guys

I would start with new starter contacts. You can install new contacts (not too difficult) or buy a new starter.

Tap the starter a few times with a soft faced hammer and see if it will start. You might have to try this more than once or try it while someone else is turning the key. It's almost certainly the starter contacts if it starts after a whack or two.

starter relay might just be telling you something here 🤔

I would start with new starter contacts. You can install new contacts (not too difficult) or buy a new starter.
The starter I have is brand new mate

Tap the starter a few times with a soft faced hammer and see if it will start. You might have to try this more than once or try it while someone else is turning the key. It's almost certainly the starter contacts if it starts after a whack or two.
Gday mate thanks for the reply, The starter is brand new though?

I'll try a soft headed hammer but don't think that's the issue, what else could it be?

You could check all the ground wires to make sure they are all there and in good shape. That can be an issue sometimes. Not saying it's the starter but yours wouldn't be the first brand new one that didn't work out of the box.

like what @ToyotaMatt said.

this was my problem. get one of these...

52C020AE-E3F5-4934-91CE-F430D8706352.png

The stock wires from the igntion switch to the starter solenoid get old and lose their ability to carry enough current to properly fire the starter solenoid. You have two options...rewire the stock wires with all new wires and connectors or keep the old wires and install an aftermarket fender mount starter solenoid like @franklin40 has kindly pictured.

The stock wires from the igntion switch to the starter solenoid get old and lose their ability to carry enough current to properly fire the starter solenoid. You have two options...rewire the stock wires with all new wires and connectors or keep the old wires and install an aftermarket fender mount starter solenoid like @franklin40 has kindly pictured.

View attachment 2637397

View attachment 2637397
Can you send a pic of your set up when you get chance mate so I can see what I need to do

my truck is in the shop getting the transfer case rebuilt. i don’t have any photos right now to show you. hopefully i’ll get some in the next few days!

28A30760-FA48-473E-B197-F32B2E24F498.jpeg

You take the stock small wire off the back of the starter and hook to “S” terminal. You then run a heavier gage wire from the bat to the main post and second post to the starter solenoid where the old wire went.

this is what i did. mine is a 1hdt so the starter wiring configuration might be a bit different but this is what my alternator/starter/battery shop game me and told me to wire it like this. there is one white wire that runs from the body of the relay to a frame ground.
249419FB-59D2-4DDA-B4B2-390500C5E1A0.jpeg
621C4F4D-A13E-4ACF-9E33-32EEF19429C7.jpeg

I had a similar issue last year. Found out my EFI relay clicked but didn't pass enough current to start the truck. If you have a multimeter I suggest you test it just in case to fully confirm the relay is still good.

It's a relay under the dash clicking mate, do you know what relay that is?
by under the dash does it sound like it's coming from the passenger side? From my understanding, the two relays on an FJ62 that have to do with starting are the circuit opening relay and the EFI relay. The circuit opening relay is in the passenger side front kick panel and the EFI relay is connected to the passenger side fender.

Last edited:
Make sure all of the wires coming off of the positive battery terminal are not loose, broken and/or overly corroded. I have done some unnecessary starter work before when it was just a problem with a loose wire at the battery terminal.

by under the dash does it sound like it's coming from the passenger side? From my understanding, the two relays on an FJ62 that have to do with starting are the circuit opening relay and the EFI relay. The circuit opening relay is in the passenger side front kick panel and the EFI relay is connected to the passenger side fender.
Yeah mate it's the opening circuit relay that clicks once everytime that I turn the key, no noise from the starter what so ever though

Easy test.

-Set the parking brake
- make sure you are in neutral
- open the hood
- turn the key to on
- use a jumper cable to jump from battery positive to the trigger terminal on the starter. If the truck cranks with ease you know the starter and solenoid is good.
- then measure the voltage at the trigger wire when the key is turned to the start position. If no voltage is present then it’s likely a relay issue in the dash or a fuse problem.

Easy test.

-Set the parking brake
- make sure you are in neutral
- open the hood
- turn the key to on
- use a jumper cable to jump from battery positive to the trigger terminal on the starter. If the truck cranks with ease you know the starter and solenoid is good.
- then measure the voltage at the trigger wire when the key is turned to the start position. If no voltage is present then it’s likely a relay issue in the dash or a fuse problem.
Yep your onto it Seth it isn't my starter, Any idea on what relay/fuse's I should start looking at mate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom